• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Prairie Chicken (1 Viewer)

roxby

Hello all

I wonder if anyone can help. recent information leads me to believe that Lesser Prairie Chicken is now very difficult in Colorado, is this the case? Can anyone provide details for a reliable Lek? I plan/hope to visit next April.

If not Colorado does anyone know reliable/easily accesible sites in New Mexico?

Any help will be much apreciated, many thanks

Malcolm

Malcolm

I think I was told or perhaps read (source unknown) that there was only a single LPT at the Springfield lek this year and that it was not regular. There may be other private sites however. I think you may need to go to Kansas for one at an easily accessible site.

cheers, alan

Malcolm

I think I was told or perhaps read (source unknown) that there was only a single LPT at the Springfield lek this year and that it was not regular. There may be other private sites however. I think you may need to go to Kansas for one at an easily accessible site.

cheers, alan

Hi Alan

Thats pretty much what I had heard too. As I will be driving down to Tuscon I may hunt around for a site in New Mexico.

Thanks for replying

Cheers, malcolm

The only ones that I know of being seen regularly have been on private lands, in the areas around Lamar, CO. I've been thinking about a spring chicken trip myself, so if I come across any good public spots I'll keep you posted.

Paul

The only ones that I know of being seen regularly have been on private lands, in the areas around Lamar, CO.

The Arena Dust Tours that HantaYo referred to is the one I was thinking of, but the name had slipped my mind. I've heard good things about them.

I have seen them during third week of April....east of Roswell,New Mexico....
try this site for details....www.rt66.com/~kjherman/audubon/LPC.html

A couple of years ago I had really good results at this site. It is essential to contact BLM ahead of time, but they were very helpful, so that was not a problem.

My visit was a few days into May (2013), but there were definitely still birds at the lek we visited. The early morning ride out there also gave common poorwill ...

Niels

There's a great and reliable Lesser Prairie-chicken lek in Woodward, OK, not far from the SE corner of Colorado. You sit in a blind on private land, and the owner will feed you breakfast later. You can stay on-site, as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back