• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breeding Golden Eagles in Co. Donegal (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

Birdguides:

Breeding Golden Eagles in Co. Donegal
=====================================

Two Golden Eagles have nested in County Donegal, laying the first egg
on Irish soil since 1912. The birds are part of a reintroduction scheme
which began at Glenveagh National Park in 2001 and over 30 birds have
now been released in the wilds of Ireland. Chicks for the project have
been collected under license from Scottish Natural Heritage over the
past 4 years and there has been great assistance from the Scottish
raptor study groups. Research suggests that County Donegal could
eventually hold 7-10 pairs of these magnificent raptors, and Ireland may
eventually have 50-100 pairs if the project is successful.

John Cromie, Technical Director of BirdGuides, who lives in Donegal and
has been actively involved with the reintroduction project through the
Irish Raptor Study Group, comments: "This breeding attempt, within just
four years of the first chick arriving from Scotland, has raised
everyone's hopes that before long we will once again have native eagles
gracing their ancient haunts in the mountains of Donegal."

Unfortunately the egg failed to hatch on this occasion, but all of us
at BirdGuides endorse the comments of Lorcan O'Toole, the project
director at Glenveagh, who commented "we are all looking forward to the
day when a Donegal-bred eagle takes to the sky".

To find out more about the project, go to:

http://www.goldeneagle.ie/

Excellent news. One thing that always strikes me about Ireland is the complete lack of birds of prey - although I hear buzzards are making a comeback

Buzzards in Ireland

Yes you are quite correct buzzards have been spreading south from Northern Ireland in recent years. It is possible to see them when travelling on the road from Dublin to Belfast between Dundalk and Newry.
There is also a small population in the Wicklow mountains south of Dublin.
B :)
Amarillo said:
Excellent news. One thing that always strikes me about Ireland is the complete lack of birds of prey - although I hear buzzards are making a comeback

Absolutely right - there are loads of buzzards along the east coast of Ireland now -they've really spread in the last 10 -15 years. I also regularly see commoner raptors like peregrine, kestrels and sparrowhawks when I'm out and about in N.Ireland, with the odd merlin and hen harrier now and again up on the hills. There are also increasing numbers of osprey and marsh harriers every spring (passing through) and reports every now and again of red kites and goshawks too. Not quite so devoid of raptors as has been suggested. And now theres the chance of the odd goldie passing overhead......

Glenveigh Golden Eagles

Here is a distant photo I took of one of the Glenveigh Golden Eagles.

This was taken last September while on a trip with Foyle RSPB Local Group

Attachments

• Golden-Eagle-web.jpg
    Golden-Eagle-web.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 194
Eagle updates on radio.

I live near lincoln(shire) but find it possible to pick up RTE radio 1 on 252lw(sometimes on 567mw if waves are strong).Over the last 3 weekends,at 10am saturdays,a program named 'Mooney goes wild' has given superb info and descriptions of the eagles mentioned.There is a website too and the program has its own pages.....MOONEYGOESWILD should get you there.The archive of programs is there and I recommend the show 15/5/05(the dawn chorus show).You'll need realplayer to listen.Guinness optional! B :)
Eric

Ericmd said:
I live near lincoln(shire) but find it possible to pick up RTE radio 1 on 252lw(sometimes on 567mw if waves are strong).Over the last 3 weekends,at 10am saturdays,a program named 'Mooney goes wild' has given superb info and descriptions of the eagles mentioned.There is a website too and the program has its own pages.....MOONEYGOESWILD should get you there.The archive of programs is there and I recommend the show 15/5/05(the dawn chorus show).You'll need realplayer to listen.Guinness optional! B :)
Eric
This the one??

http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild//

Eagle updates on radio.

Mooney Goes Wild has been broadcast from RTE1 for several years and has become something of an instituion. Richard Collins is the resident birder on the programme and his special interest is mute swans. He obtained a phd for research conducted on the mute swan. Richard travelled to Scotland with Lorcan OToole ,who is in charge of the reintorduction of the golden eagle to Ireland, to collect the first batch of eaglets and a tv programme was made of the trip. May I suggest to those who are outside the reception area of RTE that RTE broadcast on the Internet. The programme is broadcast every Saturday at 10.am bst and they cover a wide range of nature items. Its a bit early for the Guinness!!
Ericmd said:
Eric

We had a pair of Buzzards nesting just outside Dundalk for the past 2 years.
Unfortunately they havn't been seen lately I hope they show soon :h?:
I worry that someone might have shot them as there is a lot of Pheasent hunting in this area

It would not surprise me if someone has shot or poisoned them. Unfortunately this is a relatively common occurance. We had a prosecution here in Derry for poisoning Buzzards.

I hope your buzzards turn upsafe and sound.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back