• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

I know how you feel Penny. Once I explained that I wasn't a Twitcher I was a birdwatcher (couldn't be bothered to explain the term "birder") to someone, but they left, say "good luck twitching" - I nearly started twitching with anger to be honest!

Noticed reports this week of Crossbill and Jack Snipe at Buxton Heath. Does anyone have any more info than that? And of the site in general?
Buzzard on the way into Thetford, wont be long before these are commonplace.
Still reeling from the Kildeer,
Jim.

I know how you feel Penny. Once I explained that I wasn't a Twitcher I was a birdwatcher (couldn't be bothered to explain the term "birder") to someone, but they left, say "good luck twitching" - I nearly started twitching with anger to be honest!

It confuses them even more when I explain that I label myself as a birder/twitcher:-O:-O:-O

Anyway - can't decided what to do with small amount of time at weekend as very annoyingly because of my new job I can't leave my car at garage for service in week, so have got it booked in for this Saturday which means I have to hang around in town:C all morning on Saturday for it to be done which means a MEGA will turn up on Sat guaranteed:eek!: BUT I am free to bird/twitch by 1.30pm;);)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:

the best response is if someone asks if you're a twitcher, tell them they are correct you do suffer from tourettes and then give them the appropriate 'verbal' 8-P

Noticed reports this week of Crossbill and Jack Snipe at Buxton Heath. Does anyone have any more info than that? And of the site in general?
Buzzard on the way into Thetford, wont be long before these are commonplace.
Still reeling from the Kildeer,
Jim.

Don't know Buxton Heath area at all really, but BF Canarybirder (who posts on Norfolk thread) will probably be able to help you.

I am also still reeling from the Killdeer!!!

Trimingham Twite

As an addendum to Micks post re the 5 Twite at Trimingham on Saturday, as they have indeed been very scarce in the County this winter, I've attached a few record shots of the birds just to add to the record.

Regards

Simon

Attachments

• Twite.jpg
    Twite.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 132
  • Twite1.jpg
    Twite1.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Twite2.jpg
    Twite2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 95
the best response is if someone asks if you're a twitcher, tell them they are correct you do suffer from tourettes and then give them the appropriate 'verbal' 8-P

Good idea!

Penny - I managed to fit "birders" and "Yank passerines" into my english exam today when the question read; "Describe a dream world" :-O I also explained what the terms meant, but I still think the teachers will be very confused!

Munns will have your guts for putting 'yank' into an English exam (and you'll probably have to make a public apology on BBC news ;) ). Also, it's a bit rich saying you're not a twitcher, Mr 'I went to Kent to see a heron'!

The road to the sluice is closed for 4 weeks as of 12th January.

Goodbye Norfolk, see you in March! I'm off to Port Meadow, hope Sue's Ring-billed knows where to find me...

"a group of flashers"

Irene, perhaps your friend only slightly misheard and meant 'flushers'. This would then be perfectly appropriate for those of our fraternity (and sorority!) who carry around those bazooka-like objects and try to get so close to a bird they are in the shadow of its bill.

I include myself in this category, as I do not always succeed in approaching a bird with photographic intent without spooking it.

Redpolls

perhaps your friend only slightly misheard and meant 'flushers'. .

I like it! Very appropriate.

On another note entirely, is it my imagination or are Redpolls becoming harder and harder to see in good numbers each winter?

Up until a few years ago, it wouldn't be that difficult to find a few good sized flocks in regular spots. On my local patch, Dersingham Bog (oops, mentioning flushing again!), we'd usually have a largish flock of Redpolls but now I'm lucky if I hear or see more than a couple or a handful each winter. And I used to spend a chunk each winter revisiting regular haunts for them and not having much trouble finding good numbers. Not even good old Titchwell has managed its 'regular' winter flock which nearly always contained extra goodies of Mealy and Arctic. In fact, the last really large flock I can remember seeing is down in foreign parts in Suffolk a few years back. Or is it me and I'm missing them?

It'll be interesting, and probably alarming, to see how much they've declined when the new Norfolk Atlas is published, or eventually, when the new national BTO Atlas comes out in the future.

Irene

Black-bellied Dipper take 2

It seems the Black-bellied Dipper is back - just appeared on the pager for Natural Surroundings, Glandford (with the usual instructions not to park on the drive).

David, how 'bout a sweepstake on the number of times me and thee miss it this time?! As I can't get out till Saturday, it's looking good for me to try and beat my 10 dips record of last year.

Good luck to anyone who goes for it.

Irene

Black Bellied Dipper

Hi all

Plz could some one tell me where Glandford is and where abouts the Dipper is as I would l love to see the Dipper.

Regards

Robert

Last edited:
Titchwell January 15th

Today's highlights

Woodcock - 1 roosting in willow scrub near visitor centre
Avocet - 12 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 30 on fresh marsh
Jack snipe - 1 showing well on fresh marsh islands from Parrinder Hide
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 9 on fresh marsh
Pochard - 36 on fresh marsh. A good number for us and an increase over the last few days, probably as a result of the recent cold weather.
Snow bunting - 18 at Thornham Point
Merlin - 1 hunting over saltmarsh
Hen harrier - ringtail over saltmarsh at dusk
Long tailed duck - 3 offshore

Paul

Hi all

Plz could some one tell me where Glandford is and where abouts the Dipper is as I would l love to see the Dipper.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert

The site is >here<. Park either beside the road or in the carpark at the wildflower centre at the end of the track (i.e. not alongside the track). The Dipper's been seen from the bridge over the R Glaven half way along the track - approach carefully so you don't inadvertantly flush it, since it may be very close.

good luck

David

Great afternoon exploring excellent habitat on the outskirts of Sculthorpe today, the highlight was undoubtedly unintentionally flushing a Long-eared Owl from an area of gorse along a track. I later saw the bird drifting over some trees as it was getting dark

also:-

3 Lesser Redpoll
1 prob (need to check on this) Mealy Redpoll, it had a single streak on the utc and relatively unstreaked underparts, not particularly prominent wingbars, have to admit i'm a bit of a novice as don't get that much practice.
c12 Siskin
Kingfisher
2 Marsh Tit
2 Brambling
20 Snipe in 1 flooded field (wellies have revolutionised my birding)
1 Woodcock
2 Barn Owl
1 male Stonechat
1 Grey Heron
c12 Red-legged Partridge

Last edited:
Re: The Glandford Dipper... Sightings (or at least reports of) the Dipper are not very regular; does anyone regularly watching the area know if it frequents any other stretches of the Glaven, e.g. Letheringsett Mill which has hosted the species before?

James

A close birding friend told me that several people have seen the Black bellied Dipper today and also several people have 'dipped' on the dipper today!!!!!!! I would dearly love to see that, but its highly unlikely being as I only have Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning this weekend!!!!!!!!

Munns will have your guts for putting 'yank' into an English exam (and you'll probably have to make a public apology on BBC news ;) ). Also, it's a bit rich saying you're not a twitcher, Mr 'I went to Kent to see a heron'!

The road to the sluice is closed for 4 weeks as of 12th January.

Goodbye Norfolk, see you in March! I'm off to Port Meadow, hope Sue's Ring-billed knows where to find me...

See you in March James - work hard and play hard;) :t:

Great afternoon exploring excellent habitat on the outskirts of Sculthorpe today, the highlight was undoubtedly unintentionally flushing a Long-eared Owl from an area of gorse along a track. I later saw the bird drifting over some trees as it was getting dark

also:-

3 Lesser Redpoll
1 prob (need to check on this) Mealy Redpoll, it had a single streak on the utc and relatively unstreaked underparts, not particularly prominent wingbars, have to admit i'm a bit of a novice as don't get that much practice.
c12 Siskin
Kingfisher
2 Marsh Tit
2 Brambling
20 Snipe in 1 flooded field (wellies have revolutionised my birding)
1 Woodcock
2 Barn Owl
1 male Stonechat
1 Grey Heron
c12 Red-legged Partridge
Nice day's birding there Pomskua! the long eared owl wasn't in the NOA Hempton Reserve by any chance was it please?

Hi Irene,
You may know that I now only work two days a week. Guess which two? Yep! Thursday and Friday. I'll pop in for 1/2 hr or so tomorrow before School, so will probably be one (or maybe even two) dips up on you before Saturday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back