• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (25 Viewers)

Osprey on the move friday afternoon. During some survey work close to Blofield I was watching a displaying male sparrowhawk when far above it a osprey came into the scope at extream height 700M +. It moved off slowly north. I never would have seen it with the naked eye , just luck it came into the scopes view.

Glorious sunny weather, but dull birding day.

I am ashamed to say I had never been through Little and Great Snoring until today - beautiful villages, but NO Snowy Owl:-C Walked along the track 'Greenway' where it was first seen and walked almost as far as Little Walsingham and back - a surprise of a single redwing sat in a tree along the track, some cracking yellowhammers, loads of wood pigeons, great tits, robins, hedge sparrows and a kestrel. When I got back to the car I was then going to go to Little Snoring Airfield for the first time when the pager said Hoopoe at Thornage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So off I whizzed to Thornage;) - on route had a fantastic close view of a Common Buzzard circling overhead (11.45) on the road between Great Snoring and the main road to Holt. Arrived at the bridge north of Thornage to find one birder who had met the man that saw the Hoopoe and apparently he saw it fly over the river and land in scrub, but disappeared and has not been found since. Not long after I got there BF Ruralchill arrived and we all searched around the immediate area to find nothing!!!! Nice spot to have my lunch though!

Left here and went to Hunworth Ford just to see if the Black Bellied Dipper was showing again - it wasn't!

Next stop Walsey Hills to find Adders - didn't find any! But did have my first 'Comma' No birds here at all apart from a hedgesparrow, robin and a water rail squealing. Also a couple of toads crawling along the bottom path.

Coastguards, Cley - sat on shingle watching the sea with no birds whats so ever apart from 2 summer plumage black headed gulls on roof of shelter in carpark. Big flock of brent geese on the marshes near North Hide/scrape.

Stiffkey Fen - well this was the best part of the day bird wise. I have not been here for a very long time and I had forgotten how lovely that walk is, especially in the late afternoon sun. A chiffchaff was singing along the path alongside the main road and on the back fields were hundreds of Brent Geese feeding. Saw the dodgy Snow Goose and also the Common Sandpiper feeding by the far left hand reeds (standing on seawall). Flushed a barn owl along the path too. Cetti's Warbler singing. Other birds seen were: 2 snipe, several pintail, shelducks, avocets, lots of teal, mallard and pochard, tufted ducks, oystercatchers, shovelers, redshanks, bar tailed godwits and black tailed godwits, 3 pied wagtails, 1 curlew, pair of yellowhammers, long tailed tits, 2 reed buntings, 2 linnets, turnstone, little egret, pair of gadwall, also loads of black headed gulls. Took some sunset pictures and back along the path just before the bridge with white metal rails (white bridges I think it is called locally) I had a fantastic surprise of a grey wagtail flitting about at 6.20pm!!!

Wells next Sea - Fish 'n' Chips for tea;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Totals of raptors moving south were;
Common Buzzard 1
Goshawk 1
Sparrowhawk 2
Kestrel 1

Did anyone else note a similar passage of raptors? I notice there was a Goshawk at Waxham...

There were a few things moving through Titchwell this morning including 2 kestrel and a sparrowhawk.
Siskins were in evidence with 134 west in 2 hours, 8 crossbill (6 @ 0636, 2 @ 0713), 38 goldfinch, 19 jackdaw and a grey heron.

Paul

Titchwell March 22nd

Today's highlights

Crossbill - 8 (6 @ 06:36, 2 @ 07:13) west in 2 hours
Siskin - 134 west in 2 hours
Jackdaw - 19 west in 2 hours
Bittern - 1 'grunting' from Fen Hide
Tree sparrow - 1 on feeders
Brambling - 1 on feeders
Common buzzard - 1 west over reserve
Med gull - 2 on fresh marsh
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 2 on saltmarsh pool

Paul

Went to Titchwell missed most of the highlights but got good views of 1 of the 134 siskin!! Went via Choseley at lunchtime but only yellowhammers siskin and chaffinches to show. Working on the theory that later or early would be better finished at Choseley at 16.00 ish and rewarded with corn buntings and a yellow wagtail.

stonechat

Hi Ben
Here are a couple of (poor) pics i took of a rubicola Stonechat on Beeston Bump last week, dont know how it compares to your bird but the pale rump sounds good for one. As you can see they tend to be more washed out below than "our " birds with the breast colour being less extensive & the upperparts less black & like you said with a pale rump. I think some birds can be trickier but ones like this stand out a mile amongst hibernans.

Cheers for that Rob, maybe I'm just being stringy and its a standard stonechat (a very well marked one though!). I have attached some very bad pics of my bird (Everyone seems to say that but these are taken through my bins resting on my knee!) but you get the general idea of colouring. This bird was dark backed and as can be seen has very wide white lines on the back, cant see the pale rump however, it looked very different to the others in the area. Is it a standard stonechat or something more interesting?

Ben

Attachments

• stonechat1.jpg
    stonechat1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 79
  • stonechat2.jpg
    stonechat2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 96
Migrants etc

Despite the wind, rain and hail today, had a Wheatear at West Runton beach car park this afternoon.

Also a couple of Black Redstarts at Overstrand last week, and a few Mealy Redpolls amongst a flock of c30 Redpolls and other finches at Roughton.

However the highlight of recent days definitely goes to the first patch record of a Cetti's Warbler which appears to have set up temporary territory in an area of gorse and bracken over the last week. As usual it is a little skulker and took me four days to even manage this bad record shot of it, but its still a great little bird and a very welcome addition for our patch.

Simon

Attachments

• Wheatear15.jpg
    Wheatear15.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Black Redstart6.jpg
    Black Redstart6.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 75
  • M Redpoll3.jpg
    M Redpoll3.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Cetti's.jpg
    Cetti's.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 107
Titchwell March 24th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 1 on fresh marsh all day
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit - 359 on fresh marsh
Brambling - 1 on feeders
Marsh harrier - 1st male of the year over the reedbed

Paul

My 4th visit of the year to Santon Downham produced the male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker for the first time today. The female (who I've seen previously) was also present and the pair produced a brief x-rated moment for the onlooking crowd of 7.
I then had 7+ Crossbills a bit further along the road beyond the level-crossing, with 2 males perched up giving good scope views!

Had 2 large raptors that "got away" at the weekend. The first was very low over Wymondham town centre on Saturday and my initial impression was Marsh Harrier, but the view was frustratingly brief before disappearing behind a shop roof so I couldn't rule out Red Kite. The second, on Sunday, was along the A47 between the A11 and A140, and was a harrier sp.

Chris

Yesterday at Thorpe Marsh (just east of Whitlingham CP), one LRP, 6 Oystercatchers, one Green Sand and 25 Gadwall. Also, a bunch of angry dogs belonging to a moored barge, one of which bit me and ripped my coat. Nice.

Despite the wind, rain and hail today, had a Wheatear at West Runton beach car park this afternoon.

Also a couple of Black Redstarts at Overstrand last week, and a few Mealy Redpolls amongst a flock of c30 Redpolls and other finches at Roughton.

However the highlight of recent days definitely goes to the first patch record of a Cetti's Warbler which appears to have set up temporary territory in an area of gorse and bracken over the last week. As usual it is a little skulker and took me four days to even manage this bad record shot of it, but its still a great little bird and a very welcome addition for our patch.

Simon
Nice selection of pictures:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Nice water pips, but aren't those gulls, Lesser blacks?

No I'm pretty sure that they are Yellow-legged because if u look at one of the photo's the 2 black-headed gulls have jet black heads and they defintly are not med gulls so i think its just the photo.

Robert
http://robertsnorfolkbirding.blogspot.com/
http://robertnorfolkmothing.webs.com/

Robert

I would agree with Nick that the 2 large gulls in your pictures are lesser black backs especially with the combination of the yellow legs and very black looking mantles. Although YL gulls have darker mantles than herring, they are a dark grey rather than black and I would say that these are too dark.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back