• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

The Baird's Sandpiper is still at Hickling (10:32am) viewable from the Weavers Way footpath. Parking at Potter Heigham Church, walk north then east along the Weavers Way to the hide...

James

Titchwell August 10th

Today's highlights

Pintail - 2 on grazing marsh pool
Dunlin - 85 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Med gull - adult on fresh marsh in morning
Golden plover - 300 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Eider - 30 offshore

Paul

Saw the Baird's this morning (cheers Tim). Distant but still good views, nice of an adult Little Stint and Dunlin to accompany for comparison! I enjoy watching Sandpipers, and this one was intriguing in that the feeding action was slow and methodical compared to the speed of the White-rumped I saw at Welney last week. Very long-looking bird, obvious even at distance. Another new bird- who said summer was quiet?!
Went onto a few usual haunts around Happisburgh and Sea Palling. Plenty of Swallows moving around, little else inland though. Put in an hours seawatch and had 3 Redshank, 14 Sandwich Terns but bugger all else. It was a clear day and even distantly, nothing was moving. A Wall Brown on the clifftop at Happisburgh was nice, snapped a picture with the new mobile. Ill put this on my new and upcoming blogpsot. Oh yes, watch this space!
Cheers,
Jim.

Got home from work and decided to have a mad twitch over to Rush Hill scrape, Hickling - complete madness!!!!!!

Seeing Dave Appleton was not good;););) (only joking;)) as the last time I saw him here, I dipped on the Pec Sand shortly after he had seen it. As I met up with Dave 'its just flown' he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I thought he was joking!)

Anyway on reaching the hide, several of the birders said a sparrowhawk had put it up, BUT VERY VERY luckily some very, very nice man saw it again and several of us managed to see the Baird's Sandpiper along with a little stint, ringed plovers, lapwings etc etc at 7.45pm. Thank you to Dick F. (RBA) for letting me looking through you swarovski scope - much clearer than my Nikon ED50 in failing light!!!:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

NORFOLK YEAR LIST - 228 - see Surfbirds county list.

P.S. Sue, there was I thinking I was going to keep my place at No. 2 on Surfbirds and you have seen a pied fly aswell today!!!!!!;) BOTHER!;)

Cley is going to be packed tomorrow - possible Semi palmated Sandpiper Cley NWT from Daukes' Hide this evening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Probable adult Slender-billed Gull reported flying east past Cley late morning.... about time we had another one of those in the UK. Anyone know who saw it?

Does anyone who visits this thread have any photos of the juv. Shag that was on the Wensum in Norwich at the weekend that they could post? Or maybe know of someone who does who would be willing to e-mail me a copy.

Also, when was the last city record? Apart from the 1-7 opening day defeat the same day... 3:)

James

Also, when was the last city record? Apart from the 1-7 opening day defeat the same day... 3:)

James

We don't mention that score, it was all a bad dream ;). I went and had a look after the fans had left the ground, but didn't see it. There was one at UEA broad in Feb 2007, but there used to be semi-regular winter records from the Wensum in the nineties.

Regards,
James

Blakeney - House on the Hill - had another look here for my RB Shrike - but no sign and no birds here this time at all either, only a great tit and a wood pigeon.

Cley, North Hide, North Scrape 'probable' Semi-palmated Sandpiper at 7.40pm in the very far distance amongst loads of dunlins, lapwings, cormorants etc, also 1 Wood Sandpiper. Hide full of birders with several familiar faces with lots of banter from Eddie M!!! I am certainly no expert and if I had seen it on my own at that distance - I would have just thought it a little stint - so will leave the ID of this bird to the experts!

Thank you to David N. (nice to see you out again) who very kindly gave me a call:t: and also to MG and Connor:t:

Walking back along the fence line I was almost at the pill box - Eddie M.and Richard had been walking not too far behind when suddenly Eddie shouted 'dolphins' at me!!!!!!!!!! (around 7.55pm) - I swung round and rushed to get higher up the shingle ridge - HOW FRUSTRATING. Eddie had seen 2 dolphins breaching, Richard had not seen them either. We scanned for any more signs, but alas nothing. I would have rather have seen dolphins off Cley beach than a little LBJ in far distance amongst dunlins;)

Watched the sun setting against the sea, by the duck pond at Salthouse and drove home.

Last edited:
Cley Stint

What did people think of the stint yesterday ? I saw it reasonably close and couldn't see any sign of palmations, though it was tricky. I see RBA have put it out as a little stint now. I couldn't see the white braces of a juvenile so I can only presume people thought it was a moulting adult ?

In my opinion it had the feel of a bright juvenille bird, has red necked stint been considered ?

cheers
Stuart

My father (Peter) just told me something very interesting - he found the first semi-palmated sandpiper in Europe at Cley, it was ID'd by himself/Richard Richardson and Dick Bagnall-Oakeley photographed it and sent the pictures to somewhere in America to get confirmed!!!!!

Last edited:
My father (Peter) just told me something very interesting - he found the first semi-palmated sandpiper in Europe at Cley, it was ID'd by himself/Richard Richardson and Dick Bagnall-Oakeley photographed it and sent the pictures to somewhere in America to get confirmed!!!!!
There are two black and white photos of the Semipalmated Sandpiper found by your dad on the 19th July 1953 in the Birds new to Britain and Ireland book by J.T.R Sharrock and PJ Grant.

Stu

As commented on the RB forum I find it very hard to believe that last nights bird was a Juv though granted the views were generally poor - certainly cant see it as a redneck in any guise. I would be interested to see any photos from today as last night it would have been too far away/ poor light to get any half decent shots.

I wasn't being that serious about red necked, just thought I'd throw it out there! The bird I saw didn't look quite right for little stint, which is I assume why people were looking at it. Maybe an adult little stint moulting but still in fairly bright plumage ? I only had a 5 minutes to look at it so did not take in every feather. I was mainly trying to see the webbing between the toes or lack of it. Would be interesting to hear from others who saw it close.

Titchwell August 13th

Today's highlights

Dunlin - 300 on frsh marsh
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Med gull - 1 adult on fresh marsh
Ringed plover - 100 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

There are two black and white photos of the Semipalmated Sandpiper found by your dad on the 19th July 1953 in the Birds new to Britain and Ireland book by J.T.R Sharrock and PJ Grant.

I suppose I really should know that shouldn't I:eek!: - Thank you. My parents have that book, but I don't.

Birdguides are reporting a Sowerby's Beaked Whale stranded at Blakeney Point yesterday but happily returned to the sea. Quite a rare beastie in UK waters - at least sightings of said species are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back