• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 200-400mm (1 Viewer)

The 500 mkII and 600mm mkII are down a few thousand on their RRP too. it's the usual early-adoption markup.

The recent price drops on the big teles is all down to exchange rates, just as the price increases of a few years back was.

I was on the Lenscoat stand at BirdFair and we had a 200-400 as one of our demo lenses. If anything it was a bit smaller and lighter than I was expecting. I really liked the way that the built in tc works. I spoke to a few people over the weekend who own the lens and all seemed very happy with it. If I had the money I would be extremely tempted to get one.

Hi All
I tried both the 500mm V2 and the 200-400mm on the Canon stand at Bird Fair. The 200-400 is considerably heavier than the 500 and the extra reach of the 500 really does make a significant difference and the 500 is cheaper! Having spent two days at the Fair looking, testing, thinking and then re-trying I went for the 500mm simply because of the weight and the reach. I have been using it on a monopod and can happily carry it around at least for half a day with ease - and I have a bad back. Thats not to say that the 200-400 is not superb, I simply think that the 500 is a better lens for bird photography.
Cheers
Simon
www.thedeskboundbirder.blogspot.co.uk

Hi All
I tried both the 500mm V2 and the 200-400mm on the Canon stand at Bird Fair. The 200-400 is considerably heavier than the 500 and the extra reach of the 500 really does make a significant difference and the 500 is cheaper! Having spent two days at the Fair looking, testing, thinking and then re-trying I went for the 500mm simply because of the weight and the reach. I have been using it on a monopod and can happily carry it around at least for half a day with ease - and I have a bad back. Thats not to say that the 200-400 is not superb, I simply think that the 500 is a better lens for bird photography.
Cheers
Simon
www.thedeskboundbirder.blogspot.co.uk

Enjoy your new toy !

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back