• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

need some help please (1 Viewer)

Bill Came

whoops! i really should have took the time to read whats already available, by the way of information. so this is exactly what i done,
and come to the conclusion that my old scope is nowhere near good enough, so i've decided to start saving for a new scope.
from what i,ve been reading, the swarovski ats 80 (hd) seems a very good choice, unless any of you digiscopers out there now different. i think price will be a big factor as i dont want to be saving for to long, i really need to get out there and start doing it
so if anyone out there can give me some cheap deals etc. i will be very gratefull.
regards bill..

Hi Bill
I've just recently updated to a Leica APO Televid 77 from my old Kowa and I cannot fault it (well, maybe it is a little heavy). I don't do digiscoping so I can't comment on that. Whether the new Swarovski is £500 better than the Leica is probably down to personal opinion.

There are as many opinions as there are members. I bought the ATS65HD because nothing I read convinced me that the 80 was any better for all practical purposes. And I saved a lot of yen with that decision.

Not sure if a pentax pf80ed is any cheaper for you in London, but over here it is almost half the price of the swaro and it comes with the zoom lens for that price. I chose to use the xl28 for digiscoping after seeing some pics taken with it. A lot of birders seem to say the pentax isn't well made and it cheap, well they are correct it is CHEAP!:t: about $800 usd for me. Check my gallery, all done with the pentax.

many thanks to chris murphy, charles harper and paul yoly, for your reply's.i certainly like the look of the leica apo televid 77, and the price is a lot more attractive as well. can anybody tell me how well they get on with the leica when digiscoping.....
regards
bill....

HI Bill

You would not be disappointed with the Leica or any of the popular eye pieces 20x,32x,20-60 zoom. I have been using on for 18 months and I am well pleased.

What you do need for digiscoping is a good solid tripod and head I can only tell you what I have used which up to date is a Slik D3 and head. The pod I am happy with but plan to try and change the head which although good for birding I feel needs to be stiffer for digiscoping. I looked at the manfrotto 501-503 heads at the fair and was impressed, Carlo had a few setup on his stand with scope and camera attached and seemed to work well.

There are many good scopes out there but for digiscoping I think you need to be looking at the top end both size and price wise.

Hope this is fo help

pete

hello pete, thanks very much for the reply, very possitive, from what i've been reading about the leica, the only gripe is the weight, i've got big arms, so this really shouldnt be a problem..
regards
bill.........

thanks mark. i'm affraid i couldnt get onto your web site for some reason, would loved to look at your pics, shall try again later..
regards
bill.....

Hi Bill

If you do manage to get on the site click on the bird news and scroll to the bottom of the page then click on the collection of photos link.

Mark

thanks mark and paul, got on the webb site ok. sure are some great pics, with this quality using a leica apo, i think this is the scope to go for, and cheaper of course, i've talked the wife into buying me a cp4500 for my birthday, so with a bit of luck i should be digiscoping in no time. just got to look around for the cheapest deal

have been onto the southwest optics website and found a special offer which includes as follows...
leica apo televid 77, 32xww, digiscoping adapter, nikon cp4500, extra battery and extra 64 mb cf card, for £1,389.00. with the 20x-60x zoom instead, the price is £1,440.00 sounds good to me, what do you think? good thing is i'm heading down to the southwest to visit my parents in newquay in a couple of weeks, so i could kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak...
regards bill..........

Hi Bill

Glad you finally got onto the site (thanks to paulyoly) and that you liked the pictures.
I'm sure that you won't regret buying the Leica and at an excellent price. I've dealt with Southwest Optics before and they are very good friendly people.

Mark

thanks Mark for your reply, very positive about southwest optics, cant see me coming up with a better deal, so a trip to truro will be in order........
regards
bill............

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back