Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Pentax Papilio

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 7th August 2012, 06:27   #1
Barfbirder

Pentax Papilio

I have owned a couple of Leicas' for a good many years and consider them a superb binocular ( well, they've got to be good ' cos they're bloody pricey, right ? ) Reading an article in the Times recently a pair of Pentax Papilios' were recommended for their extremely short focusing capabilities, which make them ideal for exploring the hidden world of insects and flowers. When I saw the price ( less than 100 ) my bino snobbery dismissed them immediately - until I read the reviews by respected independent reviewers. What could I lose - after all 100 is what I regularly spend on a meal out for two - and if they are rubbish I can always return 'em. So Amazon had them on my doorstep less than a week later. Upon opening the packaging my original fears were realised, they looked and handled like a child's toy - BUT - when I focused them down to minimum on a painting that had been hanging on my wall for years I saw their brilliance, every brush stroke was crystal clear - it became a different painting. I took them into the garden and saw a hidden world of bees legs dusted with pollen, spiders beady eyes and the unbelievable beauty of a house fly wing - AMAZING. I then focused them on the green finches and tits on the feeders and the optics were remarkable for their price, not as sharp, crisp and bright as my Leicas' but at a fraction of the price how could they dare to be ! So, I am no longer a binocular snob and can thoroughly recommend these brilliant little bins to all and sundry, primarily for their close focusing capability but also as a good back up to a posher pair.
Old Tuesday 7th August 2012, 09:58   #2
edwincjones

I, and many others, agree with you.
Love my 6.5

edj
Old Tuesday 7th August 2012, 10:50   #3
Star Farmer

Agree, great for exploring insects on flowers. A different world altogether.
Old Tuesday 7th August 2012, 18:17   #4
jaymoynihan
Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfbirder View Post
.. I ... can thoroughly recommend these brilliant little bins to all and sundry, primarily for their close focusing capability...
"If there is a heaven, and i am allowed entrance, I will ask for no more than an endless living world to walk through and explore. I will carry with me an inexhaustible supply of notebooks from which i can send back reports to the more sedentary spirits." E.O. Wilson
Old Tuesday 7th August 2012, 21:36   #5
John P
Usually on a different wavelength

Everybody should own a pair of these: just sit in the garden and discover stuff.
Old Tuesday 7th August 2012, 21:51   #6
jogiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post
Everybody should own a pair of these: just sit in the garden and discover stuff.
I agree, I use a lightweight Cullmann 2902 tripod with ball head when I want to study something up close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1717IMGP0196_450X600.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	398424  
Old Sunday 12th August 2012, 14:05   #7
edwincjones

6.5 or 8.5X ?

edj
Old Sunday 12th August 2012, 17:14   #8
James Bean

If you go to the Pentax Forum and type 'Papilio' in the search box, you'll be presented with 19 threads all dealing with this remarkable close-up binocular, with differences between the 6.5x and 8.5x models. In short, the 6.5 gives a wider, brighter, steadier view, producing an image which is easily big enough for close viewing. Mine is the 6.5 version and it's amazing!

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: