Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garden / Yard List 2017

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 16:13   #376
halftwo
Wird Batcher
 
halftwo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silkstone Common
Posts: 8,338
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Certainly gives me the Pip!
Thought I heard a Red Kite this pm - & all the Jackdaws going ape - but no sign and I remain unsure. So that one will have to wait.
__________________
Known to follow bird waves.
halftwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 16:36   #377
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MANIGOD
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
Thought I heard a Red Kite this pm - & all the Jackdaws going ape - but no sign and I remain unsure. So that one will have to wait.
'
Equally frustrated here - I thought I heard the 'diditdiditt' of a Grey Wagtail this afternoon but the river in the valley bottom is so loud at the moment due to the rapid snow melt I couldn't be sure. Other oddity of today was finding Serin and Dunnock up at the ski station 400m higher up than our house when we haven't seen/heard them here yet.
__________________
"Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture
I never could decide" Leonard Cohen
Richard Prior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 09:41   #378
lazza
Registered User
 
lazza's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Morpeth, Northumberland
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazza View Post

And while I'm here...

26. Siskin

EDIT:

And...

27. Mallard
Nothing new for a few weeks, then two over the weekend, including a new bird for my life-time list in this garden:

28. Meadow pipit - a Morpeth garden lifer (species 66!), singing over hedgerows on the adjacent farmland (so another that I'm unlikely to see/hear again once it's a new housing estate...). I'm guessing this wouldn't be a lifer if I were a better birder, but my ability to pick out different songs is improving, so I get to add new species to the list that have probably been around for years!

29. Chiffchaff - returned right on cue!
__________________
World life list: 511 (Wryneck, El Hondo, Spain; April 2018)
UK life list: 224 (Red-necked Phalarope, Northumberland; Oct 2017)
Morpeth Garden list: 68 (Kestrel, January 2018)
2018 year list: 185 (Little Ringed Plover, Northumberland; May)

Last edited by lazza : Tuesday 21st March 2017 at 09:44.
lazza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 10:14   #379
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 11,664
Blog Entries: 2
56. Great Black-backed Gull

Picked up a few distantly along the coastline (to add to a possible that got away the other day)

Still no Feral Pigeon - they all turn out to be Stock Doves or something.
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 10:20   #380
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 11,664
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Is it standard to get five Med Gulls in an average small gull flock round your way or pretty good record?
Passage birds.

It was actually a large gull-flock - 300+ Herring, a handful of LBBG, the Iceland and relatively few small gulls. But yes, I'm happy to see them as don't normally look at gulls on land much. You get the odd Med on the Reservoirs at passage times. So not only a 'garden tick' but most I've seen together away from the coast.

Med Gulls on the increase (and at this time of year BH Gulls passing through rapidly - soon there will be none) - eg saw on twitter the other day a record 300+ Meds together at one site in the south of England
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!

Last edited by dantheman : Tuesday 21st March 2017 at 10:25.
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 12:17   #381
kev68
Registered User
 
kev68's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bishop Auckland, county Durham
Posts: 21
Garden list

Collard Dove
Feral Pigeon
Starling
House Sparrow
Magpie
Merlin
Black bird
Great tit
Wren
Robin
kev68 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 15:29   #382
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MANIGOD
Posts: 1,878
Welcome to the Garden List thread Kev, get ready for terrible puns and occasional outbursts of jealousy on here
__________________
"Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture
I never could decide" Leonard Cohen
Richard Prior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 16:21   #383
KenM
Registered User
 
KenM's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 9,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Welcome to the Garden List thread Kev, get ready for terrible puns and occasional outbursts of jealousy on here
......Perhaps you've got it mixed up with another forum Richard
KenM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 21st March 2017, 16:32   #384
halftwo
Wird Batcher
 
halftwo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silkstone Common
Posts: 8,338
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev68 View Post
Collard Dove
Feral Pigeon
Starling
House Sparrow
Magpie
Merlin
Black bird
Great tit
Wren
Robin

There's a certain standout bird there, Kev!

Welcome.
__________________
Known to follow bird waves.
halftwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 23rd March 2017, 05:22   #385
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MANIGOD
Posts: 1,878
Didn't have to wait too long for this species after seeing one nearby on Monday:


52 Serin
__________________
"Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture
I never could decide" Leonard Cohen
Richard Prior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 23rd March 2017, 09:22   #386
BrendaA
BrendaW

 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pyrenees France
Posts: 253
Seeing Black kite overhead every day sometimes very low and sometimes very high .
BrendaA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 23rd March 2017, 11:59   #387
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MANIGOD
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaA View Post
Seeing Black kite overhead every day sometimes very low and sometimes very high .
You may still be having migrating Black Kites passing over high Brenda, but just as likely is you're seeing the 2 styles of food searching they seem to have, I call them the 'workers' and the 'loafers'.
The 'workers' patrol up and down fields at low level, rivers and roads,working hard looking to find food, the 'loafers' drift up and up in the sky until they can see for scores of kilometres any other kites or vultures diving down to feed on something, they then zoom off in that direction to see if they can profit from the 'workers' efforts!

Obviously my theory is not in the least bit scientifically watertight, but I like it

Anyway, a couple of weeks after I saw an unidentified crest sp, not one, but a pair of:

53 Firecrest

getting all frisky in the sunshine this morning, after a chilly night with some snow a bit further up on the mountains.
__________________
"Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture
I never could decide" Leonard Cohen
Richard Prior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 23rd March 2017, 12:24   #388
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East
 
Jos Stratford's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Exile in Eastern Europe
Posts: 15,669
Nice warm day today - first butterflies of the year on the wing in recent days - Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell and Brimstone three days ago, Yellow-legged Tortoiseshell, Small Tortoiseshell and Brimstone today.

Nice trickle of migrants today - one male Hen Harrier, two Great White Egrets northbound, three more Greylag Geese, a Brambling, etc. Also first Song Thrushes and Mistle Thrush.

55. Great White Egret
56. Hen Harrier
57. Black-headed Gull
58. Mistle Thrush
59. Song Thrush
60. Brambling


Also a Moose today, and Red Fox and Roe Deer.
__________________
For photographs and articles, Lithuania and beyond, click here for my website
Jos Stratford is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 23rd March 2017, 13:44   #389
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 15,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Still no Feral Pigeon - they all turn out to be Stock Doves or something.
Find that unbelievable! Probably the most abundant flyover species from my garden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazza View Post
28. Meadow pipit - a Morpeth garden lifer (species 66!), singing over hedgerows on the adjacent farmland (so another that I'm unlikely to see/hear again once it's a new housing estate...). I'm guessing this wouldn't be a lifer if I were a better birder, but my ability to pick out different songs is improving, so I get to add new species to the list that have probably been around for years!
Learn the flight call, and you'll pick them up easily on autumn passage in September / October
Nutcracker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 24th March 2017, 09:48   #390
halftwo
Wird Batcher
 
halftwo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silkstone Common
Posts: 8,338
Blog Entries: 1
Clear and calm this morning - ideal for sounds to reach my garden - & an unexpected turn up - a garden tick...

63 : Moorhen

shouting from the stream.
__________________
Known to follow bird waves.
halftwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 24th March 2017, 10:08   #391
KenM
Registered User
 
KenM's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London
Posts: 9,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
Clear and calm this morning - ideal for sounds to reach my garden - & an unexpected turn up - a garden tick...

63 : Moorhen

shouting from the stream.
I've got one of those behind my place....only ever seen it from the house once in 34 years.
KenM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 24th March 2017, 12:02   #392
Warixenjalka
Registered User
 
Warixenjalka's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 820
No butterflies here yet. +3 Celsius degrees, but sunny (at least today is).

#17. Wood Pigeon - My local couple is back plus one other also. Maybe their offspring from last summer?
__________________
Last lifer: Bar-tailed Godwit #416, WP ticks: 305, Finnish ticks: 246 (Quail), Eco ticks: 18x (Common Scoter) , Yard tics (alltime): 85 (Greater White-fronted Goose)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/warixenjalka/sets/
Warixenjalka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 25th March 2017, 14:14   #393
aroundthebirdfeeder
Alan Barnard
 
aroundthebirdfeeder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Northern California
Posts: 72
My 2017 Backyard List
___________________________

Lesser Goldfinch
House Finch
White-Crowned Sparrow
House Sparrow
Western Bluebird
Dark-Eyed Junco
Black Phoebe
American Robin
American Crow
California Scrub Jay
Northern Flicker
Cedar Waxwing
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Sharp-Shinned Hawk

Last edited by aroundthebirdfeeder : Saturday 25th March 2017 at 14:53.
aroundthebirdfeeder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 25th March 2017, 14:33   #394
GuyinUganda
Let's go birding
 
GuyinUganda's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mbarara, Uganda
Posts: 66
Nice fly over this evening

61. African Sacred Ibis (5)
GuyinUganda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 25th March 2017, 15:39   #395
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MANIGOD
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthebirdfeeder View Post
My 2017 Backyard List
___________________________

Lesser Goldfinch
House Finch
White-Crowned Sparrow
House Sparrow
Western Bluebird
Dark-Eyed Junco
Black Phoebe
American Robin
American Crow
California Scrub Jay
Northern Flicker
Cedar Waxwing
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Sharp-Shinned Hawk
Welcome to the Garden/Yard thread ATBF, what kind of habitat do you have around your place?
__________________
"Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture
I never could decide" Leonard Cohen
Richard Prior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 26th March 2017, 04:46   #396
aroundthebirdfeeder
Alan Barnard
 
aroundthebirdfeeder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Northern California
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Welcome to the Garden/Yard thread ATBF, what kind of habitat do you have around your place?
Hi,

Thanks!

We're in the middle of a large suburban area (Roseville, CA). Our particular neighborhood is older, so the trees and other growth are mature. Our city has a number of riparian greenbelts that follow creeks that cross the area, the nearest being about a half mile away. I believe these natural areas would be classified as valley oak woodlands.

We have a small backyard flanked by a pair of large sycamores. There are various low shrubs along the fence. The feeders are all hung in a fruitless plum tree in the middle of the yard. That tree provides nice cover for birds while also being ideal for hanging feeders.

Regards,
Alan
aroundthebirdfeeder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 26th March 2017, 08:02   #397
halftwo
Wird Batcher
 
halftwo's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silkstone Common
Posts: 8,338
Blog Entries: 1
An amazing sight of c.300 Pink-footed Geese going north this morning - spectacular sky-filling skeins!
__________________
Known to follow bird waves.
halftwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 26th March 2017, 14:11   #398
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MANIGOD
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthebirdfeeder View Post
Hi,

Thanks!

We're in the middle of a large suburban area (Roseville, CA). Our particular neighborhood is older, so the trees and other growth are mature. Our city has a number of riparian greenbelts that follow creeks that cross the area, the nearest being about a half mile away. I believe these natural areas would be classified as valley oak woodlands.

We have a small backyard flanked by a pair of large sycamores. There are various low shrubs along the fence. The feeders are all hung in a fruitless plum tree in the middle of the yard. That tree provides nice cover for birds while also being ideal for hanging feeders.

Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan, it's nice to be able to imagine each other's gardens/yards/ country estate (Jos)

Snow overnight, but yesterday a gale force foehn was a'blowing on a sunny afternoon, and a female

54 Kestrel

was enjoying flying in the gusts.
__________________
"Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture
I never could decide" Leonard Cohen
Richard Prior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 26th March 2017, 14:39   #399
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East
 
Jos Stratford's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Exile in Eastern Europe
Posts: 15,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
...it's nice to be able to imagine each other's gardens/yards/ country estate (Jos)

Snow overnight...
Snow at the 'country estate' today

On and off flurries, but pleasant all the same. Ice beginning to thin and vanish ...and with it the return of Goldeneyes and Green Sandpipers to territory, Snipe and Goosander flying over, four Wigeon too settling on a flood pool in the meadow (4th record for my land, after one last week). Also a Woodlark singing.

61. Goosander
62. Common Snipe
63. Green Sandpiper
__________________
For photographs and articles, Lithuania and beyond, click here for my website
Jos Stratford is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 26th March 2017, 19:23   #400
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MANIGOD
Posts: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Snow at the 'country estate' today

On and off flurries, but pleasant all the same. Ice beginning to thin and vanish ...and with it the return of Goldeneyes and Green Sandpipers to territory, Snipe and Goosander flying over, four Wigeon too settling on a flood pool in the meadow (4th record for my land, after one last week). Also a Woodlark singing.

61. Goosander
62. Common Snipe
63. Green Sandpiper
Aaargh, each time I see one for the year ,you see three
I was interested to see it was only the other day that you had your first Brambling of the year Jos, do they all leave for the winter then?
__________________
"Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture
I never could decide" Leonard Cohen
Richard Prior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garden/Yard List 2016 halftwo Birds & Birding 906 Sunday 1st January 2017 21:16
Garden / Yard List 2015 halftwo Birds & Birding 1215 Friday 1st January 2016 15:49
Garden (Yard) List 2014 halftwo Birds & Birding 783 Monday 5th January 2015 11:56
Garden (Yard) List 2012 Larry Lade Birds & Birding 1098 Thursday 3rd January 2013 17:47
How big is your GARDEN/YARD LIST? Katy Penland Lists 163 Thursday 8th May 2008 17:02

{googleads}
Opticron - NEW DBA VHD+ 8x42, 10x42 coming soon

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.24344993 seconds with 36 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:46.