• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can't decide on action extreme 10x50? (1 Viewer)

degrizz

Hello. I have been looking to get my 1st pair of binoculars since I have just started bird watching. I know every body recommends 8x40's or even 6x30's, but at my local sporting goods store I came across a brand new pair of Nikon 10x50 Action extreme's for $89.00 regularly $150.00, they were the last pair. I tried them out they did seem very nice, but I'm not sure if I should jump on this or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Bird Forum.

As a first pair, a 8x40 would be a better pair for bird watching (wider field of view and lighter weight). The Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 is a much better choice than the 10x50.

You can actually purchase the Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 from a reputable online supplier (www.eagleoptics.com) for $84.99 (free shipping, probably no sales tax). So the deal on the 10x50 is really not that much of a deal.

I suggest you go to the website for Eagle Optics and look around. That is where I buy most of my binoculars. They offer free shipping, no sales tax (for my state), and 30-day return policy. But, many people prefer to try before they buy--and that is an advantage of a store over an online supplier.

...Bob
Kentucky

Hi degrizz,

I woiuld go for 8x as they are the best all rounders. And no more than 42mm objectives as you're unlikely to want any more light gathering power than what 42mm can provide.

Check out Bushnell Legend 8x42 porro prism before you decide. They cost £125 over here in the UK so they're probably even better value over there. They have an excellent quality of view and I think they're a bit sturdier built than Action Extremes. They are waterproof.

One I am interested in but haven't tested (I can only find them mail order) is the Bresser Montana 8x32. At 714g they're a bit lighter than the Bushnells and Nikons (880g and 850g each) so they interest me but I can find no reviews or opinion on the net. Try them out if you can find some near you.

If you do go for Nikons make sure they are Action Extremes as these are waterproof. Nikon Actions are not.

By the way, as you seem to be after best value, you are doing the right thing looking at porro prism design rather than roof prism. You get more for your money with porros at the lower end o the price scale.

Good luck,
Martin.

I would say take a good long look through the bins while you are there at the store. But be sure you are honest to yourself when evaluating the bins! The thing you want to look for is the ability to hold the bin steady. And being able to hold steady long enough to have a enjoyable experience when out using the bins....
You want to be able to hold the bins, without excessive shake. Doesn't sound hard but holding your breath under water doesn't either at first! If you can hold the 10x with a comfortable view for periods long enough to you that you enjoy the outing then I say go for it! 10x's have areas that will out perform 8x's if you can hold them steady. But, if you can't, then you need a 8x or you will tire of the bin and lose interest of the hobby and we don't want that!

BobinKy I believe you are looking at the 10x50 Nikon action at eagle optics, not the 10x50 action extreme as they are $150.00.
I am also looking at the Leupold Yosemite bins. as they seem like a quality bin for the price.

BobinKy I believe you are looking at the 10x50 Nikon action at eagle optics, not the 10x50 action extreme as they are $150.00.
I am also looking at the Leupold Yosemite bins. as they seem like a quality bin for the price.

Yup, you are right. I was looking at the wrong model.

The Leupold Yosemite is a great value. Most people that I know go for the 6x30 size.

Best of luck with your decision. Please let us know which model you choose.

...Bob
Kentucky

6x30 Yosemites were the first bins I got. I've subsequently got more expensive and refined bins, but I'm still surprised by the Yosemite views sometimes. They offer great optics, and are very user friendly (large exit pupils, long eye relief, easy to hold steady). There's some slop in the focusing mechanism in my pair, but it doesn't affect viewing. When I go out for walking, not birding, I take them with me because they are very light. I suggest you try them if you can find them locally. If not, you can order a pair from a reputable online retailer, and return them if you decided against them. I tried out a pair of Nikon 10x50 in a store this weekend (I don't remember if it was the Action or the Action Extreme). Maybe there was something wrong with the pair I tried, but it's image couldn't compete with the Yosemite.

I would forgo the 10x50 for a general purpose binocular. They are heavy, and typically have a smaller field of view than a 40-43mm binocular. That configuration I have always thought better suited to low light viewing. I also think better optics are needed than that if you are doing low light viewing.

An 8x40 EX is a better deal for an inexpensive, yet decent general purpose binocular.

Hello. I have been looking to get my 1st pair of binoculars since I have just started bird watching. I know every body recommends 8x40's or even 6x30's, but at my local sporting goods store I came across a brand new pair of Nikon 10x50 Action extreme's for $89.00 regularly $150.00, they were the last pair. I tried them out they did seem very nice, but I'm not sure if I should jump on this or not. Any help would be appreciated.

The Nikon 7x35 EX is a good compromise btwn the lower power 6x30 and heavier and bulkier 8x40 EX, and still has a 5mm exit pupil (35/7), which will serve you well on overcast days and in the winter.

It has 9.3* FOV, which is W-I-D-E, and if you like the ergonomics of the 10x50s, you'll enjoy the feel of 7x35 in your hands even better.

The close focus is not super - 16.4 ft. - so you won't be looking at butterflies with them, but that's still much closer than the 23 ft. close focus on the 10x50 model.

The smaller size, lighter weight, larger field of view, better depth of field, closer focus, and lower power make the 7x35 EX more suitable for a first birding bin than the 10x50 model.

Camera Land has a 7x35 EX demo on sale for $89.99.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/nikon.pl?page=nikon7237

Brock

Last edited:
thanks for all your help. I just placed an order for Leupold Yosemite 6X30. Although I'm still thinking about getting those 10x50 nikons, hard to pass up a good deal. plus my wife would have something to use also.

thanks for all your help. I just placed an order for Leupold Yosemite 6X30. Although I'm still thinking about getting those 10x50 nikons, hard to pass up a good deal. plus my wife would have something to use also.

degrizz, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Yosemite. Bring them to the store and compare them with the Nikon side by side, and hopefully you'll have a better idea of what to do. Good luck!

Brock...

I agree about the Nikon 7x35 being a good binocular. I have the Action, not the Action EX model. I tried both versions and I think the Action presents better views and is more comfortable to use (for me, at least).

...Bob
Kentucky

Oops! I went back to the store to have another look at the Nikons and it turns out they weren't 10x50's but 7x50's.
I was wondering why the image was so steady when I looked through them.

Oops! I went back to the store to have another look at the Nikons and it turns out they weren't 10x50's but 7x50's.
I was wondering why the image was so steady when I looked through them.

That still sounds like a value. I have a 7x50 and a second model on the way. I really like the 7x50 size. However, I think your first pair should be a 6x30 or 8x42.

...Bob
Kentucky

Brock...

I agree about the Nikon 7x35 being a good binocular. I have the Action, not the Action EX model. I tried both versions and I think the Action presents better views and is more comfortable to use (for me, at least).

...Bob
Kentucky

Bob,

I tried the 7x35 EX in a sporting goods store, but I have owned the Minolta 7x35 Activa WP/FP, which I liked better (gave them away to my aunt), and I still own a Japanese made Nikon 7x35 WF from the '80s, which has the best edges of the three, but it's not as bright due to the lack of MCs.

It also has ER shorter than the length of my eyelashes. However, I wish Nikon would revamp their 7x35 E to an EII and widen the viewing angle to 9.3* while retaining the sharp edges of the WF series.

I'm sure they could do it, but like other optics manufacturers, their attention is focused on roofs these days so we are not likely to see that happen.

Brock

Do yourself a favor and get the 10x42 Monarch instead, you can get it for like 250 now, and it's small and light enough you'll actually have it with you instead of sitting at home half the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back