• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A raven at Pulborough Brooks? (1 Viewer)

Stoggler

Getting to grips with young gulls
I was at Pulborough Brooks with my dad on Saturday and we both heard what we thought was a raven calling. The woman passing us thought it sounded like a raven too. We couldn't see one though (although there were a number of corvids about), but it's not the first time that I think I've heard one in that area (near the first hide when walking away from the visitor centre after turning left at the pond).

Does anyone know if a raven has been seen or heard in the area, or were we just going a bit loopy?

Hi
Pulborough Brooks is in south england, so it may well have been. However, it depends what exactly you heard. If it was a deep 'cronk cronk' the it was raven, a higher pitched 'kraa kraa' was a carrion crow. Rooks sound similar to carrion crows but quieter and more harsh.

I was at Pulborough Brooks with my dad on Saturday and we both heard what we thought was a raven calling. The woman passing us thought it sounded like a raven too. We couldn't see one though (although there were a number of corvids about), but it's not the first time that I think I've heard one in that area (near the first hide when walking away from the visitor centre after turning left at the pond).

Does anyone know if a raven has been seen or heard in the area, or were we just going a bit loopy?

No problem with that sighting I would say, as Raven call almost unmistakable. Sites not a million miles away that I have personally seen Raven in the last couple of years include Blackdown, Fernhurst, West Dean Woods, and, closest of all, The Burgh on the South Downs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back