• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (38 Viewers)

So, it appears that we Norfolk birders have missed out on a fairly rare wader this summer, per the RBA section. Still the county hasn't done too badly this year and with recent H.Bees, followed by a G.B. tern in the last few days things ain't too bad. Always something in Norfolk, even though it may appear "quiet" at times.
Now off to look for an Albert on a pool nearby.

Hi

Just to back up James Emerson and to encourage anyone lucky enough to see a Honey Buzzard to submit the record and description to the Norfolk County Recorder. It's so important that these records are documented for the future. Records from the Norfolk Recorders feed into the Rare Breeding Birds Panel and they can only submit what they have received and has been accepted.

If any Natural England staff are present in the wood it's very likely they have a Schedule 1 permit from NE for disturbance and should be making annual returns to NE with details of observations. Hopefully these will come to light through RBBP channels.

If you know anyone who has seen a Honey Buzzard in the last few years and is not documented in the Norfolk Bird Report, please encourage them to make a submission. Better late than never!

Thanks

I share Dawn Balmer's view that it is so important for there to be a complete and accurate record available for future use. Obtaining a complete picture of the status of Honey Buzzards in Britain is still hampered by observers not submitting records to county recorders. I do not have a major problem with this but I see no reason why records should not be submitted direct to the RBBP.

The RBBP report for 2011 states and I quote, "Norfolk. One probable breeding pair and two locations occupied by single birds."

If Natural England is not making a full return of the birds they are monitoring, surely they should set a better example.

So, it appears that we Norfolk birders have missed out on a fairly rare wader this summer, per the RBA section.

Just out of interest, where is the area with no general access in the burnham deepdale area? Shirely all the muddy creeks are visible from the various public footpaths in the area?

Just out of interest, where is the area with no general access in the burnham deepdale area? Shirely all the muddy creeks are visible from the various public footpaths in the area?

It could be Scolt Head Island, whose nearest point is less than 1km from through Burnham Deepdale....
MJB

Unless someone corrects me, I understand the Burnham Deepdale issue is a double-edged sword of hunting and privatism. The fields inland of the seawall west of the Burnham Norton marshes (ie from Deepdale eastwards, check it out on Google earth) have been developed into marshland with the primary aim of shooting wildfowl, snipe, partridges, hares etc. The landowners are very defensive of anyone looking at their land, but a few local birders do watch the area (though I've no idea if they are granted access into the habitat) and they embrace privatism. Pretty much the whole area can be seen (with effort) from the seawall and/or the A.149, although some of the habitat is screened and/or distant. I don't know if the Terek was feeding on, or just roosting on, the freshmarsh fields. Of course, all of the harbour creeks are public access, and it seems highly likely that the Terek might have visited the saltmarshes during at least some low tides. The trouble is, few if any other birders ever visit the site, so BD joins the many sites around Norfolk that we cannot expect to hear much from on the day...

Titchwell July 15th

Today's highlights

Short eared owl - 1 hunting over the saltmarsh this afternoon
Hobby - 1 this afternoon
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed
Common sandpiper - 1 on Patsy's reedbed
Red crested pochard - 7 in reedbed
Spoonbill - 4 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 7 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 535 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 3 adults on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 65 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 2 on Patsy's reedbed
Barn owl - 1 along East Trail this morning

Paul

Titchwell July 16th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 6 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 4 on fresh marsh
Little 1 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 2 adults still on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell July 17th

Today's highlights

Crossbill - 1 over carpark early morning
Spotted crake - adult by Island Hide @ 07:30 but no further sign
Curlew sandpiper - adult on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 7 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 250+ on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 9 on Patsy's reedbed
Spotted redshank - 9 on fresh marsh

Paul

Could you not have posted your thoughts on the thread Penny? Not meant as a dig at all, but my mobile struggles with tabs is all. So many people have so much to offer on here, but if we all put 'See my Blog' the thread would die. I have been guilty in the past I am sure!

Thanks,
Jim.
Hi Jim, I was simply too tired to write again, after doing the blog, no other reason.

Best Wishes
Penny

Titchwell July 18th

Today's highlights

Superb WeBS count this morning

Avocet - 624 on fresh marsh, another reserve record
Black tailed godwit - 253 on fresh marsh
Bar tailed godwit - 55 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 177 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 7 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 7 smart summer plumage birds on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 9 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover - 3 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 9 roosting on fresh marsh
Ruff - 36 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 2 on Patsy's reedbed

Red crested pochard - 9 in reedbed, 4 on Patsy's reedbed
Hobby - 1 over reserve

Titchwell July 20th

The reserve was dead today ;)

Little stint - 7 on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 4 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 5 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 4 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh from Autumn Trail
Med gull - juv on fresh marsh
Pomerine skua - 1 over the fresh marsh briefly @ 06:30
Curlew sandpiper - 4 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 370 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 11 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Little gull - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Gull Ring Knowledge

I took the attached photos at Wacton on Sunday and have sent off an email with details of ring (hopefully to the correct email) but wondered if anyone might have some local knowledge as to where this one might have come from.

Plenty of other photos from this top photography spot on the website

https://hethersettbirdingblog.wordpress.com/2015/07/20/fish-and-chips/

Also on the site a fish ID question if any one can assist? And before I am shot down in flames Yes I am aware this is not the Fish ID thread or the blog thread but is hopefully of some interest to local birders.

Attachments

• DSC_0185.JPG
    DSC_0185.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0190.jpg
    DSC_0190.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0187.jpg
    DSC_0187.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 52
Also on the site a fish ID question if any one can assist? And before I am shot down in flames Yes I am aware this is not the Fish ID thread or the blog thread but is hopefully of some interest to local birders.

I would hazard a guess that the fish in the photo are Sandeels.

Cheers, Paul

I assume from the sand that the gull was at Walcott or Bacton rather than Wacton? ;)

This bird was reported on the Cley bird club website in 2013, having been ringed at Pitsea Landfill site (http://www.cleybirdclub.org.uk/cbc/content/files/140105_cley_square_2013_ringed_birds_875682.pdf)

Cheers,
James

I took the attached photos at Wacton on Sunday and have sent off an email with details of ring (hopefully to the correct email) but wondered if anyone might have some local knowledge as to where this one might have come from.

Nice to see it's growing up, probably been feasting on Yorkshire Terriers. Pic taken Nov '13 t Walcott

Attachments

• 15834059489_bc2a0505d5_z.jpg
    15834059489_bc2a0505d5_z.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Nice to see it's growing up, probably been feasting on Yorkshire Terriers. Pic taken Nov '13 t Walcott

Many thanks for the updates and photos Andy, James et al. I can confirm that regardless of spellchecker the gull in question was at Walcott and has been fed regularly on a diet of Chihuahua and chips ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back