• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (7 Viewers)

Titchwell August 3rd

Today's highlights

Golden plover - 88 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - 2 in reedbed
Spotted flycatcher - juv flycatching from gate at the end of the carpark mid afternoon
Spoonbill - 14 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 84 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 39 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 14 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper - 1 on Patsy's reedbed
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Med gull - 2 adults roosting on fresh marsh
Avocet - 566 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 6 on fresh marsh

Paul

So what was the point of you question? What is the relevance of asking how you can tell it's Titchwell when you clearly know that the is no way other than the word of the people who saw the bird?
You seem intent on belittling this sighting and for what reason...I know not!!!
I will leave this thread now as it is becoming futile but suffice it to say that this non argument is boring and pointless!!

You miss my point. How by looking at those pictures can I tell it's Titchewll.

Obviously you can't from looking at the pictures, but here are the votes of six more of us who were standing on the main path as the pom came through. Abilities of the birders ranged from good to expert, but I don't suppose that is good enough for you either.

You have to admit though - it is a cracking conspiracy theory. All these people getting together and deliberately lying, just to annoy you...

Gordon

Because the observer who came back in reply to my post, has submitted records in the past to BBRC only to withdraw them. Brunnich's Guillemot I think.

A bit harsh. A good number of rare birds have been mis id over the years. Even the "finest" have had records rejected by the BBRC. People are entitled to make mistakes from time to time which does not automatically make them stringers. As for the annual skua sp season I am sure that some skuas at long range are best id as just that. As for the rather decent Pom photo it could have been taken somewhere other than Titchwell, but I very much doubt it.

Just for the record, 2 of the same sequence of photos of the Pom at Titchwell were posted on RBA - at no point were they questioned as being suspect nor was the initial report of the bird being seen at the same reserve on the day.
Maybe it would be preferable to some if these images were not shared or reported?
I still can't believe that such a small minded individual can cause such anger and frustration to our wonderful hobby.
I did wonder if I had been too harsh in my earlier comments and actually private messaged the person concerned to suggest that and sort this privately but as no response has been offered, then clearly I was wrong to assume that. The responses on this post were immediate but for some reason PM's are ignored!! Says it all really, happy to criticise but not got the balls to confront it when it gets personal.
I took a series of photographs that day at TITCHWELL which have consecutive numbering from my camera and I am happy knowing that they are genuine and no matter how much bile comes from elsewhere, that is a fact...end of!!!
You may wish to be known as 'norfolk birder' but your attitude does not deserve the title as the majority of birders in Norfolk are genuine people who don't behave like this and I'm sure that goes for other areas of the country as well.

Because the observer who came back in reply to my post, has submitted records in the past to BBRC only to withdraw them. Brunnich's Guillemot I think.
However the ones I referred to were those on the Point, which were re-identified by well known Point birders as Arctic Skua's.

Norfolk Birder, your jump from someone confirming a sighting of Pomarine Skua to personal slurs is mystifying.
You will have probably realised that the fact that Pomarine Skua was clearly recorded in N Norfolk on the day of your arrogant 'silly season' comment (unless you are still calling into question what now appears to be at least 8 observers and the supporting photos?) weakens your original comment.

You seem to happily believe the word of 'well known Point birders', no photo evidence or names supplied of course, yet call into question other experienced birders with clearly identifiable photos, who simply pointed out that Pomarine Skua WAS recorded in N Norfolk despite the strong inference from your comment that this was highly unlikely.

Rather than just accept this, you continued to back yourself into a corner with the frankly childish argument of 'you can't tell it's Titchwell'. You say 'I didn't say I don't believe you' but that's the only conclusion that can be drawn and was likely your exact intention.

Your argument then becomes personal, completely out of context with the discussion. You also use the words 'records' and 'them' in your attack, suggesting that there are plural claims then withdrawals. Is this the case or merely a result of your poor grammar? (The plural of skua is skuas by the way, not skua's).

I have had the pleasure of birding in the company of Stuart White over three decades, in many countries, and can assure people that he is highly skilled in his art, highly credible, reliable and reflective. He has found many scarce and rare species, subsequently enjoyed by many others. The fact that he withdrew a record, for me, only adds to his integrity, as there are plenty out there that would do otherwise to try to save face.

So, Norfolk birder, rather than try to tarnish other peoples reputations, why not come out from your cowardly cloak of anonymity and tell us who you are so that we can judge yours?..........No, thought not.

Last edited:
Dexter, may I add to your well thought out and constructed post that Stuart White was instrumental ( perhaps the first )in raising the presence and proven identity of a harrier at TITCHWELL a few years ago that was seen by many and, accepted by the relevant committees as a Northern Harrier. Many Norfolk birders managed to see this bird and add it to their lists, myself included. I doubt that you will manage to flush out or obtain a "coming out" of the writer you directed your post towards if that was your intention. Still, it livens up the forum and as Stu might admit, spices up and leans towards some juicy debate on here.

Anyway, you have courage and no doubt a fine pair of gonads for a principal post - hurrah and huuzzah to you. 30 YEARS birding with SW. Shirley a call beyond duty mon brave.

Regards, Pat*

* Bored and stuck in Slough

Last edited:
Why don't you all stop taking the bait and go out and watch some birds?

Let's face it, you love writing your replies as much as NB loves winding you up...

Titchwell August 4th

Today's highights

Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 14 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 5 on fresh marsh

Paul

Does anyone know the identity of the mysterious Shirley so often mentioned on this forum, could it be the testicularly challenged individual who has been raising a few hackles lately.

Does anyone know the identity of the mysterious Shirley so often mentioned on this forum, could it be the testicularly challenged individual who has been raising a few hackles lately.

Mixture of Norfolk pronunciation of 'surely' and the movie airplane

Rumack: Can you fly this plane, and land it?
Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Re : Buckenham Marshes

Good morning everyone.
Please can someone tell me where the Fisherman's car park is at Buckenham Marshes?
Whenever I have visited there this year, I have parked in the public car park behind the house at the railway station and have then crossed over the railway line on foot and walked down the track towards the hide.
I have noticed that sometimes cars have driven down this track and have parked next to the hide, although I am unsure how they have accessed the track ( being on the other side of the railway line) , from where and whether they are supposed to have done so?
Viewing birds on the scrape from the hide can be tricky at times, due to the distance of the hide away from the scrape, so I always ensure that if I go alone or with Rob that we take a scope and also pan with the scope at various points down the track from the hide.
We also walk around to the old mill and pan with the scope from there.
Are there places which we haven't yet found at Buckenham that give better / closer viewing opportunities please?
Thank you ,
Carol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back