• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pagham Bittern (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
Visited Pagham (North wall) on Monday 3rd Jan and was immediately surprised on two counts. Just as I started along the wall a Bittern was heard calling (booming) quite loudly, not from the Breach pool side as I would have expected but from the harbour side itself. There were a number of birders already present and like me they immediately turned round to look in the direction of the harbour which was on a falling tide.
I've never before heard a Bittern 'booming' during the winter months and had always assumed that like a lot of birds was only to be heard during the breeding season.
Unfortunately I could not locate the bird at the time but did manage to get some reasonable views an hour or so later of it flying over the reeds / field on the pool side where I'd more expect it to be.
Just wondered if anybody else had ever heard Bittern calling during the winter ?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back