• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hong Kong in October (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I am currently considering visiting Hong Kong in early October and am more interested in the possibilities for bird photography than number of species seen etc.
I'm unsure if this is a good time to visit but if so any advice on good sites for photography and species to be expected much appreciated.
Having said this my trip will be a holiday with my partner who although pretty patient will draw the line at waiting hours on end waiting staking out a particular species etc so this has to be taken into account.
We have also toyed with the idea of a Hong Kong / Thailand trip but to be honest I have no idea of any good sites etc within easy reach of somewhere like Bankok (or other major airport) so again any advice or suggestions much appreciated.

October is a great month to visit Hong Kong.

The birds are arriving steadily from the north, the weather is cooler and rain is rare.

Can't help you with photography sites per se but if you want to chase round lots of photographers then the best spots are Long Valley and Po Toi - you can find lots about both on the HKBWS forum at:

http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/

Look further into the website itself for more info on sites.

If you also like to photograph general nature themes then I can highly recommend

Hong Kong Nature Walks: The New Territories

This is a new book by Hong Kong birder David Diskin which will give you lots of options for getting away from the most over-crowded sites. Although it does not focus on birds, its written by a birder so you will always have a good sense of what are the key birds in any one location as well as the other dragonflies, butterflies, herps, mammals etc.

And finally, Hong Kong's second best site (after Ng Tung Chai, naturally!) is Mai Po. There are lots of hides which allow you to get close to the birds, but access needs to be arranged in advance. Check out the WWF HK website for details.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back