• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujifilm HS50 EXR has arrived ! (1 Viewer)

This is a quick post as I have a lot of of catching up to do and I am a bit slow just now.

In answer to previous comments/questions I do not photoshop at all. My images are straight out of camera except for resize and I shoot jpg not raw. I do not take photos to sit on a computer and play with images. If they are not up to scratch then my photos are dumped.

I am having to find my way round the HS50 after a month away but attached is one I took a little earlier. The light was variable and it's windy but I am happy with the outcome. (1/250 6.4 200 ISO 185mm)

I would like to say I hope this thread will become more about the camera and less about post processing which may belong in another thread.

Molly
Back to catching up with this thread.

Interesting to read this. Yes, I do a bit of basic PP but believe that one should try to get the shot right in camera and not to think that IS and PP will compensate for poor technique.

Mallard ducklings

Attachments

• S0654400web.jpg
    S0654400web.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 173
  • S0904500web.jpg
    S0904500web.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 183
Ok thanks, I agree as much light as possible/speed is what we need. But so far my nicest shots are still using the smaller aperture. This may have been luck, but I will keep experimenting.

Your gallery shows it's possible to some super shots/detail using f5.6 (and better speed/light) so it gives me something to aim for!

I've been shooting birds since HS10 so I know how to maximize HS50 up to the last drop of juice from it.

Browse back for my settings.

Cheers,

Joms

That is right. I would strongly suggest though to take advantage of the f/5.6 aperture on the long-end-zoom as much as possible because really there is very minimal difference in sharpness by stopping down the aperture. In the world of wildlife photography, you'll gonna need light and shutterspeed as much as possible. I have had high hopes before that Fuji will give brighter lens to HS50 to help us birders take shots on the low-ISO as much as possible but then it did not happen. Good thing HS50 is one heck of a fast camera and has sharper and longer lens than previous HS cameras.

My Flickr gallery:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joms_birding

I'm a little confused here. At least at long FL, whey would one want to shoot in A mode as has been recommended here several times? Why not S mode and let the aperture do what the automation wants? Speed control stops action better, or should.

Ed

Was pleased to finally get a shot of a Parokeet today. Could barely see it with my eyes high up in tree, used the EVF and was very impressed that it focused through branches.

Attachments

• Parokeet 1.jpg
    Parokeet 1.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
wow, i think this thing has to go on my shopping list. the reason i bought a lumix before was the speed - it was supposedly the fastest thing on the go at the time. i find it difficult on flight shots because the camera can't keep up - i normally have to pre-focus on a mountain or tree and then try and find the bird. also in rapid fire mode a moving subject is impossible...

these pictures are great, thank you.

wow, i think this thing has to go on my shopping list. the reason i bought a lumix before was the speed - it was supposedly the fastest thing on the go at the time. i find it difficult on flight shots because the camera can't keep up - i normally have to pre-focus on a mountain or tree and then try and find the bird. also in rapid fire mode a moving subject is impossible...

thanks and you are welcome!

At the time the FZ100 came out 18 to 20x was the usual maximum zoom and 24 x seemed amazing. Sadly Panasonic seems to have stuck to minor increments on the the FZ100 rather than even trying a modest increase in zooming capacity.

I'm a little confused here. At least at long FL, whey would one want to shoot in A mode as has been recommended here several times? Why not S mode and let the aperture do what the automation wants? Speed control stops action better, or should.

Ed

I always do if the critter is not flying or jumping. I can shoot at less than 1/100s @ 1000mm EFL. If you rely on fixed shutterspeed, you need to setup the ISO to Auto or manually adjust it and the EV to get the proper exposure.

At the time the FZ100 came out 18 to 20x was the usual maximum zoom and 24 x seemed amazing. Sadly Panasonic seems to have stuck to minor increments on the the FZ100 rather than even trying a modest increase in zooming capacity.

HS10 was the longest bridge cam @ 30X even before FZ100, no? FZ200 has a great bright lens but for real wildlife shooting, 600mm is not enough most of the time and motorize zoom is as slow as waiting for turtle to pop its head out. =D

HS10 was the longest bridge cam @ 30X even before FZ100, no? FZ200 has a great bright lens but for real wildlife shooting, 600mm is not enough most of the time and motorize zoom is as slow as waiting for turtle to pop its head out. =D

That's why I rarely use my Panasonic FZ150 for anything other than butterflies, dragonflies etc, the Lumix range is more than satisfactory for macro/close up stuff, but speed off the mark is lamentable and Panasonic need to pull their finger out or start losing loyal customers. I'm looking hard at the HS50EXR because of the speed of autofocus and that nice long reach specifically for birding.

It will also be nice to get some decent weather (in the UK) to see what kind of close-up/macro image quality the Fujifilm HS50 is capable of producing.

Does the HS50 let you change the size of the focus box? I have perused the manual and haven't found that mentioned.

Location of focus box, yes but size, no. The smallest size you can use is AF-Center. With HS50's long zoom, you don't need tiny focus box unless it is a tiny dot on the LCD.

HS50 focus is spot on, best I've experienced from a bridge cam.

I'm glad to hear the focus is good. I have a hard time with focus in general, partly because the birds I want to i.d. are too far away really. I have to zoom in to see my subject on my existing camera, a Lumix FZ100, on which the viewfinder is horrible.
I've bookmarked your settings info from DPreview, fyi, in case I decide to get this camera.
Thanks!

I'm glad to hear the focus is good. I have a hard time with focus in general, partly because the birds I want to i.d. are too far away really. I have to zoom in to see my subject on my existing camera, a Lumix FZ100, on which the viewfinder is horrible.
I've bookmarked your settings info from DPreview, fyi, in case I decide to get this camera.
Thanks!

If you really need to ID and just take a shot of the bird because it is too far away, enable Intelligent zoom. Only caveat is less IQ at 50-100% crop and no RAW.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back