• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujifilm HS50 EXR has arrived ! (1 Viewer)

I haven't worked out to post photos on this site yet. When I have taken a few more photos I will try to post them or I could post a link to my Flickr site photos.

Molly

when you want to add pictures to a post choose the "go advanced" option, them scroll down and click on "manage attatchments" This will open another window, enabling you to browse for & upload your photos

when you want to add pictures to a post choose the "go advanced" option, them scroll down and click on "manage attatchments" This will open another window, enabling you to browse for & upload your photos

you're up early ;) or haven't you been to bed yet ?

I think I can see some blue sky .....and the sun is definitely out and it isn't snowing. It promises to be a good day today so far.

Here are my humble shots from HS30

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joms_birding

Cheers, :t:

Joms

welcome to the thread Joms. :t:

Nothing humble about your shots, very respectable indeed. Love the Heron:t:

If you enjoyed the HS30 you'll love the HS50.Its so fast in every respect.

Take a look at my image of the Goldfinches on the feeder. That image was taken at 1036mm full zoom, ISO400 ! through double glazing in poor light.

What makes it all the more remarkable is that it was the 9th image in a sequence which was taken without pre-focus ! I just banged off 9x shots in 3 seconds, literally as fast as I could press and release the shutter release .

Then look at the cropped image which is an 800% crop, 100% pixel peep and look at the feather detail! astonishing detail under the circumstances.

I think this camera is going to be a sensation when orders finally get filled all over the World in the coming weeks.:t:

welcome to the thread Joms. :t:

Nothing humble about your shots, very respectable indeed. Love the Heron:t:

If you enjoyed the HS30 you'll love the HS50.Its so fast in every respect.

Take a look at my image of the Goldfinches on the feeder. That image was taken at 1036mm full zoom, ISO400 ! through double glazing in poor light.

What makes it all the more remarkable is that it was the 9th image in a sequence which was taken without pre-focus ! I just banged off 9x shots in 3 seconds, literally as fast as I could press and release the shutter release .

Then look at the cropped image which is an 800% crop, 100% pixel peep and look at the feather detail! astonishing detail under the circumstances.

I think this camera is going to be a sensation when orders finally get filled all over the World in the coming weeks.:t:

Thanks for the welcome Court. I am fan of manual zoom camera because of its excellent handling and framing capabilities so one with fastest AF and STS and long reach like HS50 is truly a fantastic camera. We have an ongoing discussion about HS50 in DPR so I hope it is ok to link back your images in Flickr there. And yeah I saw that finch but I've wondered why 800% Did you use intelligent zoom to make it 2000mm then viewed it at 400%? Or did you upsize the 100% crop to 800%?

you're up early ;) or haven't you been to bed yet ?

I think I can see some blue sky .....and the sun is definitely out and it isn't snowing. It promises to be a good day today so far.

up early. Always like the switch to BST, you often see shyer birds (and wildlife) early morning, that once other people are about, they disappear.

weather sunny indeed, but wind has not really dropped

I also considered the Canon SX50, but prefer the manual zoom of the HS50, first came across this with the Fuji s9500/9600. quicker than motorised and saves battery charge

Thanks for the welcome Court. And yeah I saw that finch but I've wondered why 800% Did you use intelligent zoom to make it 2000mm then viewed it at 400%? Or did you upsize the 100% crop to 800%?

no nothing so scientific as that.;)

I zoomed the original image to 100% in Picasa and noted the relative size of the cropped image compared to the original image. then i simply cropped the original image to that relative size .
i couldn't think of any other way to do it quickly .:-O

no nothing so scientific as that.;)

I zoomed the original image to 100% in Picasa and noted the relative size of the cropped image compared to the original image. then i simply cropped the original image to that relative size .
i couldn't think of any other way to do it quickly .:-O

Well then it is only 100% crop since viewing the original at 100% will also show the finch the same size you are viewing the cropped picture at 100%. Viewing size differs on the DPI and resolution of the viewer's monitor though.

Can't work this out at all and I couldn't find anything on the net to help.

what do I need to do to an image to show part of it at 100%? what is this 'pixel peeping' all about ?

What i wanted to show was part of the image at 100%.

What I did was to view the original image in Picasa at 'full size ' ie 100%

I then cropped the same relative size from the original image and posted that at the size as the original image so that you could see what I could see on my screen at 100%.
Obviously It's not practical to upload and host 6.5MP images on Flickr because they will only display a fraction of that unless you subscribe

Last edited:
Hi

I am glad you liked the robin photo I posted taken with the HS50 EXR. My Flickr photos are taken with the cameras as tagged. I have just purchased the HS50 EXR but the weather hasn't been up to much to get out and about with it. I have just taken a few macro shot indoors and the few local bird photos I posted to Flickr. Yes I do own the X-S1 as well.

Molly

I see that you have added male chaffinch and GSW to your Flikr photostream. both excellent shots

Hello.
I'm new here. I'm a shipspotter from Germany and I would like to buy me a new camera this spring. Canon Powershot 50, Finepix HS50 or Sony DSC HX300 are possible cameras I have a look on. Here in Germany, the Finepix is not available yet. So I have to wait... :(

I would like to ask if someone can upload photos in original size to have a look at non resized photos ? Would be very nice to see the original.

Thanks in advance,
terasek

where would you suggest that we upload 6.5 MB images to ? ;)

Flickr only host and show images up to 2MB I believe.

The problem with showing you an image is that the subject matter will not be of your particular interest plus you will be unable to compare the image with one from another camera because both the subject matter and the lighting and all the camera settings are going to be totally different .!;)

the only meaningful comparison that anyone can do is to take exactly the same shot at exactly the same time with exactly the same camera settings with both the cameras you are interested in .

Why don't you buy both cameras , do some back to back testing then return the camera you don't want under distance selling regulations ?

These cameras cost barely half a weeks wages for most Europeans... hardly a fortune ..

can't see anything about that site without signing up and giving them all my personal details etc I'm always suspicious of any site that is less than open.

as a matter of interest what is your opinion on the rest of my advice regarding the danger of comparing images from different cameras etc ?

can't see anything about that site without signing up and giving them all my personal details etc I'm always suspicious of any site that is less than open.

as a matter of interest what is your opinion on the rest of my advice regarding the danger of comparing images from different cameras etc ?

Please upload them to your DPR gallery or Imageshack so we can take a look. Flickr is limited in upload and size unless you are a PRO member.

Thanks!

joms i'd be glad to help but I don't see how looking at my images is going to tell you anything ?

What do you want images of ? I'm 50 miles from a coast buried in the countryside. All there is here is fields grass and trees !

Today we had snow and hailstones and it was completely overcast black/blue sky .The wind was so bad I lost the roof off my shed and the motorbike cover blew away.!:eek!:

If I upload an image of say a landscape or a macro of a flower what are you going to compare my image with to assess the quality of the camera ?? how will you compare my image with one from someone living in the US or Japan or timbuctoo with a Canon SX50 ?

I just don't understand this obsession people seem to have with IQ on a cheap $500 bridge camera ?? its a point and shoot compact with a superzoom lens forcrissakes :-O

OK, of course, I cannot compare your garden photos with photos of ships or the coast. That's for sure. But anyhow we can see a photo in it's original size at all.

Well, you could upload one or two them to my homepage (www.ship-photos.de) if you like. There is an upload-option in the menu. I hope my server accepts these file sizes - I don't know. I would post the link here in the forum. It's just an idea...

excellent shot. More pics from Molly Macfudge on the BF gallery, the best deal seems to be Argos who are selling for £419.99 (based on ability to collect in person & avoid postal charges)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back