• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-tailed Shrike (Dark morph) info (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
While visiting Hong Kong earlier in the year I was pleased to see these two Long-tailed Shrikes together at Long Valley.
As one of the birds is of the 'Dark Morph' variety I was just curious to know what ratio or percentage this type makes up within the population.
It is obviously a well known form of the Long-tailed Shrike but to date I cannot see much info as to what the ratio might be so any feedback much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• Long-tailed Shrikes.jpg
    Long-tailed Shrikes.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 104
Hi from a wet Hong Kong...

"The Avifauna of Hong Kong" (2001) refers to these dusky shrikes….

"…no systematic review of the distribution and frequency of the dark morph has been undertaken; At Mai Po, where 52 birds were trapped during 1985 -1996, only two (3.8%) were of the dark morph, but anecdotal evidence suggests that dark morph birds are more frequent at some other locations."

The LTS dark morphs are very rare in Shanghai (I don't ever remember seeing one here) but we saw two during a 4 days trip to Poyang Lake, Jiangxi and another on a long weekend to 1,000 Island Lake, Zhejiang. My 'hit rate' for dark morphs must be around 0.01% considering all the LTS I've seen in Shanghai (frequently 100+ per day) and in Zhejiang !

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back