Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

eyepiece adapter 1.25 for spotting scope Vortex Viper New Generation?

Old Sunday 24th February 2019, 12:32   #1
vwmitaux

eyepiece adapter 1.25 for spotting scope Vortex Viper New Generation?

Greetings to all I am to buy a spotting scope Vortex Viper New Genaracion and I would like to use an eyepiece adapter to use it for occasional astronomy, there will be in the market some Adapter that can be used in the Viper.
Old Thursday 28th February 2019, 19:10   #2
bioscope

The Vortex HD looked very similiar like the Swaro ATS scopes, and the swaro-zoom looks very similiar in mechanics like the Viper-zoom. Thus it could be possible, that they are compatible - but with a veryvery uncertainity. If this were true, a swaro-adapter for 1,25" could fit the Vortex…

But there is the next question - which 1,25" eyepieces can be used or can focus at infinity?

Questionmark
Manfred
Old Thursday 7th March 2019, 18:20   #3
vwmitaux

Thank you Manfred
Old Monday 6th May 2019, 19:14   #4
Tringa45

There have been reports that the Vortex bayonet is compatible with the bayonet on Swarovski ATM/ATS and STM/STS scopes. Swarovski offered an astro-adapter years ago and the dealer, Jülich in Bonn re-manufactured some with Swarovski's approval.

I have one of these for my ATM 65HD. It has unfortunately also been discontinued but works well with a variety of astro eyepieces. I can achieve infinity focus with Televue Plössl, Panoptic, Nagler Type 6, Edmund RKE, Baader Eudiascopic and Vixen NLV, although the latter two are problematic on my Kowa 883.

I have just seen this: https://shop.zeiss.de/Sports%20Optic...ng=searchterm: and the bayonet is very similar to my Swarovski/Jülich adapter. I assume that the Zeiss Gavia, like the Vortex scope, is made by Kamakura and shares a Swarovski compatible bayonet. Could be a solution to your problem.

John
Old Wednesday 8th May 2019, 19:05   #5
bioscope

If you like TV-exepieces, it's good to look in their eyepiece-table. The critical values are B minus F: for my DiaScope85 all of my TV with B - F <= 0.95 reaches infinity, e.g. the 'uncritical' Radian; also Delos should work. (The Nagler 17 T4 reaches objects to 500m, but sadly not infinity…) The table lists the values in inches. Baader have the table for the Morpheus (values in millimeter) - except the 17,5mm there is B the reference plane to all ohter focal lengths.
You can also look for the eyepieces for the APM 100 (e.g. cloudynights), there are often eyepieces discussed, that will reach infinity.

good decision
Manfred
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: