• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vireonidae (1 Viewer)

For those who do not have institutional access:
Etymology.
In reference to the simple, whistled song and forest interior understory habitat of the genus, the name Tunchiornis derives from El Tunche, the whistling jungle spirit of western Amazonian mythology (Schjellerup et al. 2003). The gender of Tunchiornis is masculine.
Andy

SACC proposals

AOU-SACC Proposal #655 (Slager, Nov 2014): Transfer Hylophilus sclateri to Vireo (A) and change English name to Tepui Vireo (B).

AOU-SACC Proposal #656 (Slager, Nov 2014): Revise the generic classification of 6 species of Hylophilus: (A) resurrect Pachysylvia and (B) recognize Tunchiornis.

AOU-SACC Proposal #657 (Slager, Nov 2014): Change the English names of the greenlets.

AOU-SACC Proposal #658 (Slager, Nov 2014): Resurrect Vireosylva for the eye-lined vireo clade.

Last edited:
yeah, I hope someday open access is the norm. BUT...for most journals, it's a pretty hefty extra fee. I would love to make all my work open access, but as an unemployed recently graduated PhD, I just can't afford to do so.

AOU-SACC Proposal #657 (Slager, Nov 2014): Change the English names of the greenlets.
Please tell me this is a joke. I agree that if possible English names should reflect a bird's taxonomic affinities. But why wedge in the scientific name? I just don’t understand that trend. Surely there must be better alternatives. How about, say, inventing a new English name? This is the worst example yet by far.

I don't really see a need to do this. even if they correspond to deep genetic divergences, they mention that the different forms are still rather nondescript. Granted I have no field experience with these species, so maybe people do find these forms very divergent.

In its wisdom, AOU requires that hyphenated compound names represent monophyletic groups. If the rule is widened to apply to common names ending in an unhyphenated word, then a helluva lot of renaming will be required... ;)

Please tell me this is a joke. I agree that if possible English names should reflect a bird's taxonomic affinities. But why wedge in the scientific name? I just don’t understand that trend. Surely there must be better alternatives. How about, say, inventing a new English name? This is the worst example yet by far.

Same reaction here. Silly season has started. "Greenlet" tells us that the bird is green and small. For birds which are green (or olive or brownish), small and non-descript, it is a pretty good name. These other new names force birders to learn up the implications of a recent molecular study, but it is not clear that should be required or is helpful. Moreover, none of these names are English names. They are all Latin names. If someone applies a global dating standard in future to determine congenerics or roots the genus higher up, then instability results to English nomenclature too.

If they're going to tackle nonmonophyly of "Greenlet", can I hope they'll also tackle "Robin" [restrict to Erithacus], "Warbler" [Sylvia], "Sparrow" [Passer], etc., as well .... :flyaway:

Same reaction here. Silly season has started. "Greenlet" tells us that the bird is green and small. For birds which are green (or olive or brownish), small and non-descript, it is a pretty good name.

Agree with Thomas - a very serviceable name for these small vireo-types. I hope that this proposal doesn't attract a single YES vote.

cheers, alan

The easiest way to ensure that names reflect monophyletic groups would be to append the word "Bird" to all common names: 'European Robin Bird', 'American Robin Bird'...

Problem solved: just one monophyletic group representing class Aves! ;)

(©RK Co, patent pending.)

PS. Tropicbirds etc of course become 'Tropic Birds' etc.

SACC proposals

AOU-SACC Proposal #656 (Slager, Nov 2014): Revise the generic classification of 6 species of Hylophilus: (A) resurrect Pachysylvia and (B) recognize Tunchiornis.
Proposal passed, 16 Feb 2015: RECENT CHANGES.

Van Remsen...
I finally got a chance to implement the results of the passage of #656 (Pachysylvia, Tunchiornis). I used a temporary sequence that disturbed the original one minimally, pending action on the sequence proposal #661.
AOU-SACC Proposal #658 (Slager, Nov 2014): Resurrect Vireosylva for the eye-lined vireo clade.
Proposal did not pass, Feb 2015: RECENT CHANGES.

Last edited:
Vireo gilvus x V. olivaceus

A. Tristan McKee, Dou Yang, Zachary Ormsby and Francis X. Villablanca. Interspecific Pair-Bonding and Hybridization In Warbling (Vireo gilvus) and Red-Eyed (Vireo olivaceus) Vireos. The Wilson Journal of Ornithology 128(4):738-751. 2016.

[abstract]

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back