Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Possible red kite in the Lincolnshire Wolds?

Old Monday 10th September 2018, 20:58   #1
Crix

Possible red kite in the Lincolnshire Wolds?

So on the way to work and going home last Thursday, a bird flew across the road, it was low to ground and huge. I work in the Lincolnshire Wolds and these sighting's were between Cadwell park and south Ormsby, on Bluestone Heath road. Unfortunately I was unable to get any photos as the road isn't very wide.

I was looking to see what birds are on the Lincolnshire Wolds around that area but none seem to get as big as this was. The only bird I can think of that size and close to the south of the Lincolnshire Wolds would be a red kite but I know that's a long shot.

If anyone could tell me what I saw or if you need any more information I can tell you what I know.

Thank you
Old Monday 10th September 2018, 23:27   #2
Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crix View Post
So on the way to work and going home last Thursday, a bird flew across the road, it was low to ground and huge. I work in the Lincolnshire Wolds and these sighting's were between Cadwell park and south Ormsby, on Bluestone Heath road. Unfortunately I was unable to get any photos as the road isn't very wide.

I was looking to see what birds are on the Lincolnshire Wolds around that area but none seem to get as big as this was. The only bird I can think of that size and close to the south of the Lincolnshire Wolds would be a red kite but I know that's a long shot.

If anyone could tell me what I saw or if you need any more information I can tell you what I know.

Thank you
Hi Crix, I'd suggest it was maybe a Buzzard as they are pretty similar in size, a Red Kite has a very distinctive forked tail, if you saw this?
Old Tuesday 11th September 2018, 21:12   #3
Crix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Hi Crix, I'd suggest it was maybe a Buzzard as they are pretty similar in size, a Red Kite has a very distinctive forked tail, if you saw this?
It was really low to the ground (which is why I canceled out it being a buzzard) along the road moving from a small woodland bit to farm land and back to the woodland when I was heading home, I didn't catch the shape of its tail but it was a dark brown, black colour. It's a red, brown colour mostly, which is why I thought it might of being a red kite.

Hope this helps.
Old Tuesday 11th September 2018, 23:29   #4
pete seaman

The way Red Kites have spread around the country since the reintroduction schemes I would think they could show up almost anywhere. Here in N.Yorkshire they seem to pop up in new areas regularly.
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 09:56   #5
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete seaman View Post
The way Red Kites have spread around the country since the reintroduction schemes I would think they could show up almost anywhere. Here in N.Yorkshire they seem to pop up in new areas regularly.
You're lucky - the Gateshead reintroduction is declining and failing to spread into Northumberland. As soon as they move away from the core release area they get shot or poisoned
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 17:14   #6
Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
You're lucky - the Gateshead reintroduction is declining and failing to spread into Northumberland. As soon as they move away from the core release area they get shot or poisoned
Seems like it's a similar situation with the Grizedale Red Kites, not been the success story it was hoped to be.
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 18:49   #7
Helen O

I can confirm the kites are now seen in many parts of the country as they I receive dozens and of sightings from all over the UK (and further afield!). Unfortunately, I cannot confirm positive i.d. without photos.

Many people choose to tell of their sightings in the guest book http://redkites.net/section159274.html

Here is an example of a kite fledged from one of this years nests. This one was around 3 months old at the time I photographed it. Note the dark grey eyes, compared to the adult on the left with the more familiar yellow eye. Also note the duller darker plumage on the young kite in the first two photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5889web-young.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	673996  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5891Web-Young-Kite.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	673998  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5875-Web-Adult.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	673999  
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 20:21   #8
Crix

If what I saw was a red kite, I'm going to try get a dash cam and see if it flies in front of my car again. If that does happen I will post it on this thread or start another one with the footage and location. I saw a group of buzzards today circling above where I work and if they are similar in size to a red kite then I don't think it was a red kite I saw but bigger. How ever I will try get a photo of this bird if I see it again.

Thanks for the help
Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 13:51   #9
Sangahyando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crix View Post
If what I saw was a red kite, I'm going to try get a dash cam and see if it flies in front of my car again. If that does happen I will post it on this thread or start another one with the footage and location. I saw a group of buzzards today circling above where I work and if they are similar in size to a red kite then I don't think it was a red kite I saw but bigger. How ever I will try get a photo of this bird if I see it again.

Thanks for the help
Flying Red Kites often appear bigger than they are because of their long wingspan and relatively slow wingbeat.
Old Thursday 13th September 2018, 16:43   #10
Paul Longland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangahyando View Post
Flying Red Kites often appear bigger than they are because of their long wingspan and relatively slow wingbeat.
I agree. Having commuted along the M4 corridor for a long period of time in the last few years I would see dozens of them every day and sometimes they can look surprisingly big, albeit slim bodied.

If they looked bigger than buzzards then the only other possibility in that part of the country would be a Marsh Harrier. Again they can appear significantly bigger than buzzards due to their long wingspan
Old Wednesday 31st October 2018, 14:39   #11
jaynesdesigns

Red kite in Lincolnshire

Hi!
You are most likely right. I have just come home on the bus from Louth to Lincoln and I could not believe my eyes, there hovering on the roadside was a RED KITE! I looked around to see if anyone else had noticed it but no. It was so much bigger than the kestrel and had that classic give away forked tail. So when I got home I typed it in and yours was the first listing that came up.

I have since found out that it has been on the BBC news about red kite's in Lincolnshire, with other sightings.

I am now going to contact Lincolnshire Wildlife and the RSPB on the sighting.

But yes you are spot on with your sighting!
Old Thursday 1st November 2018, 19:49   #12
Helen O

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynesdesigns View Post
Hi!
You are most likely right. I have just come home on the bus from Louth to Lincoln and I could not believe my eyes, there hovering on the roadside was a RED KITE! I looked around to see if anyone else had noticed it but no. It was so much bigger than the kestrel and had that classic give away forked tail. So when I got home I typed it in and yours was the first listing that came up.

I have since found out that it has been on the BBC news about red kite's in Lincolnshire, with other sightings.

I am now going to contact Lincolnshire Wildlife and the RSPB on the sighting.

But yes you are spot on with your sighting!
AS mentioned above, I receive dozens of emails of sightings from all locations in the UK, including over Boston, Lincs, and further afield. It is not unusual these days to see kites in areas away from the core reintroduction area.
Old Tuesday 13th November 2018, 14:19   #13
eturner1102

Red Kite spotted over North Willingham, Lincs this morning. It was being warned off by other birds
Old Tuesday 13th November 2018, 17:25   #14
wolfbirder

Indeed had one over Wolverhampton past 2 days.

Not the usual areas.
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Wednesday 14th November 2018, 13:38   #15
Paul Longland

not uncommon in Leicestershire these days but saw one right in the middle of the city centre the other day
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: