Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sony RX10 1V the new boy.

Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 16:49   #151
njlarsen
Opus Editor

And how often has 21 not been enough?

Niels

Temporarily living in Tennessee

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 18th July 2018, 17:27   #152
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Very frequently. Especially with BIF. For me, this is a huge improvement.

@SteveBabbs
Old Thursday 19th July 2018, 01:51   #153
njlarsen
Opus Editor

For comparison: I do not think I ever held the shutter down through 10 images. I often have refocused and shot another short series a number of times such that the total of a bird within a short period of time is more like 30 total images. I do not know if I would have run out on the Canon you describe (I currently use a Pana G85).

Niels

Temporarily living in Tennessee

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 28th July 2018, 10:57   #154
forent

Some pics from Finland

In search for bird pictures made with the tempting Sony RX10 IV I found this page via Google and I'm simply blown away: https://tkansanaho.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Sony+RX10+IV+kuvia/.
Obviously, the author is a master craftsman (and hence in stark contrast to me ) but it seems this darn expensive all-in-one p+s is capable enough. I think that I, too, have to check the Sony against my combo Canon 7DII+100-400LII.
Old Sunday 29th July 2018, 09:46   #155
nikonmike

Some good shots in this group

https://www.flickr.com/groups/sony_rx10_iv/pool/
Old Sunday 5th August 2018, 08:55   #156
forent

Check done. The RX10M4 has an awesome lens and AF-C, perfect travel cam. But -to me!- the pictures show less than ideal contrast and seem to be covered with a tiny little bit of bluish haze. BIF is easy when the birds are close/large enough and nearly impossible when they are small or far away. ISO 800 is too grainy for my tastes. The buttons and wheels feel cheap. Fortunately the lens of my copy of the RX10M4 was slightly decentered (the images appeared sharper on their left side) so the decision was easy and I will send it back and keep my trusty Canon 7DII/100-400LII.

But I guess 5 years from now the 1" bridge cameras will be noticeably better than now. And then I will give up my heavy DSLR gear.
Old Sunday 2nd September 2018, 19:30   #157
Jacek Zarzycki

how about it's focusing at birds in flight ? Like swallows or falcons ? Is it fast enough ?
Old Sunday 9th September 2018, 11:43   #158
Andy Hall
Notts Birder and Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek Zarzycki View Post
how about it's focusing at birds in flight ? Like swallows or falcons ? Is it fast enough ?
Personally, I find it slightly less capable at birds in flight compared to the Panasonic FZ1000, but in the SCN Sports mode it is still okay.

In every other aspect it is superior.
Old Friday 5th October 2018, 18:08   #159
Chris.S

My first images using this camera after changing from SX60, pleased overall so far, specially as weather hasn't been great since i got it so not really had a good chance to try it with good lighting.

The blackbirds and sparrows were taken through a window and were more test images than anything else. The dunlin, ringed plover (my favourite so far) and gulls were taken using RAW and the Oystercatcher and Turnstone using JPEG.

I'm still getting used to it though and need to find settings that work. But overall i'm happy with how most have turned out, it's a big improvement on the SX60 but i guess you'd expect that anyway.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlesbeams87/
Old Sunday 28th October 2018, 16:51   #160
Andy Hall

Here's my Flickr album. All taken with RX10 Mk iv.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142541...h/44844821094/
Old Sunday 28th October 2018, 20:32   #161
Jacek Zarzycki

and how is it with shooting birds in flight? I mean three situations - the bird approaches (or moves away), the bird starts vertically from the ground and the bird flies across the observer in relation to the observer.
Old Monday 29th October 2018, 12:46   #162
Neil G.
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hall View Post
Here's my Flickr album. All taken with RX10 Mk iv.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142541...h/44844821094/
Some lovely images there.I was tempted by this camera for a while but the price is a bit daft for a bridge camera.I ended up with a p900 and it is capable of some great images....equal to those of the sony in my humble opinion.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 29th October 2018, 18:24   #163
Andy Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil G. View Post
Some lovely images there.I was tempted by this camera for a while but the price is a bit daft for a bridge camera.I ended up with a p900 and it is capable of some great images....equal to those of the sony in my humble opinion.

Yes, it was a bit pricey, but I had a bit of a windfall, and thought I'd splash out.

I previously had the Panasonic FZ1000. The Sony is definitely better.

I have heard good things about the P900.
Old Monday 29th October 2018, 22:18   #164
HermitIbis

The Nikon P900 or P1000 are great for distant birds. For an expert who uses a bino and can easily ID birds from their voices, such a bridge camera can be a fine tool - to get ID shots and some wader watching. I might replace my 2.5 kg heavy "wader solution" by a dedicated long-distance bridge at a later point.

However, the Sony RX10 iv (or my V2) can shoot birds in flight. Which matters a lot for less experienced birders like me. I want to see the pics of a migrating Honey Buzzard on the screen. Or other birds not breeding here. On a coast trip I saw 14 new species, mostly in flight. And BIF becomes addictive once you started it... So for me the Sony RX10 iv is surely a tempting camera. Its price has already come down a little: Euro 1,250 (apparently grey imports).

I've seen an informative review by trustedreviews.com ("Even with erratically moving wildlife, the camera does a remarkably good job.") which recommends: "I found it performed best by setting the camera to wide-area AF mode, allowing it to first identify the moving subject, and then track it." The cameraergonomics site writes about BIF settings:
Quote:
But for birds in flight with clear or cloudy sky in the background, which by the way the RX10M4 can readily handle, [Wide] is better as the bird will not always be behind the AF Area box. For BIF with a busy background such as trees, I need to do more research. As they say in the movie….it’s complicated.
Back to this thread and one of the most instructive posts above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.S View Post
I'm still getting used to it though and need to find settings that work. But overall i'm happy with how most have turned out, it's a big improvement on the SX60 but i guess you'd expect that anyway.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlesbeams87/
These examples by Chris Small are some of the best I've seen so far from the Sony. Shore birds like a ringed plover, turnstone or redshanks are not large and also fast flyers. Of course, this shooting situation is not the most challenging - birds sailing along the coastline, parallel to the camera, no trees.

Jacek's question refering to more problematic BIF situations is partly answered by this user report from August. Quote: "But when the bird is coming towards you, this is where RX10 IV shows its weakness."

It's fair to say, however, that every camera is struggling in this situation...

Last edited by HermitIbis : Monday 29th October 2018 at 22:24.
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 08:54   #165
Neil G.
BF Supporter 2018

Some lovely images there.The p900 is easily capable of capturing gulls and similar in flight....like you say not the most challenging of conditions.

Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 09:45   #166
poledark

I would also have to take in to account the number of opportunities which occur on the day. Being prepared is more than half the battle I think. Just taking gulls for example, on the right day they will continue to fly past for hours on end and almost any reasonable camera will eventually get a couple of good shots.

On the other hand, like yesterday, suddenly a raptor (not sure which) hurtled past L to R and I nearly ricked my neck trying to keep up and get at least a blurred shot :)

Den...
note to self...stop zooming out as much.
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 10:46   #167
Neil G.
BF Supporter 2018

You are right Den,being prepared is half the battle.Practice is also important.....the more you use a camera the better you will get with it......you can get great bif shots with an old manual film camera if you know what you're doing.Cameras such as the p900 or many other good bridge cameras are more than capable of great bif shots......as long as the photographer is.

Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 12:29   #168
HermitIbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by poledark View Post
On the other hand, like yesterday, suddenly a raptor (not sure which) hurtled past L to R and I nearly ricked my neck trying to keep up and get at least a blurred shot :)
Den...
note to self...stop zooming out as much.
In such a situation, when you have perhaps 4-5 seconds, can't you focus on a tree close to the raptor's flight and lock focus? A half-decent ID shot would be almost guaranteed, or am I overlooking something?
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 16:32   #169
Jacek Zarzycki

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitIbis View Post
The Nikon P900 or P1000 are great for distant birds. For an expert who uses a bino and can easily ID birds from their voices, such a bridge camera can be a fine tool - to get ID shots and some wader watching. I might replace my 2.5 kg heavy "wader solution" by a dedicated long-distance bridge at a later point.

However, the Sony RX10 iv (or my V2) can shoot birds in flight. Which matters a lot for less experienced birders like me. I want to see the pics of a migrating Honey Buzzard on the screen. Or other birds not breeding here. On a coast trip I saw 14 new species, mostly in flight. And BIF becomes addictive once you started it... So for me the Sony RX10 iv is surely a tempting camera.
it is even more temptating when someone plans to visit other continent or distant country with different avifauna - almost all birds are unknown, it is hard to bond them to any group not say about species, so camera is used first, binos next. And , what's more - in some of these countries big camera with giant zoom lens may attract local thieves. So smaller bridge camera may be less problematic and it can also be lighter and still take great photos. Therefore I think about change of my camera and lens...
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 17:02   #170
poledark

Herms, 3/4 second????? I wish :) Out in the open maybe would stand a chance, but in a hide...no way.
First job was to avoid smashing the lens on the window frame, by which time the bird had gone...

I got some pretty good shots of a Kestrel hovering by presetting the focus, but had plenty of time to get set up. and of course there is the infinity button.

Den

Last edited by poledark : Sunday 4th November 2018 at 17:05.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 21:58   #171
Skean

I just got this camera today. Reach not what I am used to but it performed pretty well without me understanding how to get the most out of it's potential.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pi_bir...posted-public/
Old Tuesday 6th November 2018, 16:07   #172
coopershawk

Thanks for sharing Skean. Those are some nice first shots!
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 22:59   #173
Skean

Thank you for the feed back!
A couple of more from my last trip out with this camera.
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 19:12   #174
Neil G.
BF Supporter 2018

Nice images Skean.

Old Friday 9th November 2018, 13:04   #175
Chris.S

Thought i'd got some nice Pied Wagtail flight shots today, was focused on the bird while it was on the rock, but as i followed it, it seems to have focused on the sand Images are cropped and slightly sharpened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04375.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	679597  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04377.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	679598  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread