• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrines hopping with rocks? (1 Viewer)

jftoole

Hi all,
I'm new to this page. I was hoping you guys could tell me what these (I'm pretty sure they are Peregrine Falcons) birds are doing. I'm not really a bird watcher but I am curious about what I saw. For context the Peregrines were under a black oak on the University of Chicago Quad. They appeared to be holding rocks in their talons and then hopping/pouncing. I have video of the behavior at the link below. I'd appreciate any info people are willing to share!
https://youtu.be/GCTz2LutrDY

Hi John,

Hi all,
I'm new to this page. I was hoping you guys could tell me what these (I'm pretty sure they are Peregrine Falcons) birds are doing.

It looks to me as if they are playing "Steal my prey".

Note that the hopping bird sometimes partially spreads his wings while sitting on the ground ... that serves to hide the prey from sight. If another bird attacks, the bird defending the prey would perform a hop to evade, letting the fast attacker pass below him. Of course, he'd have to carry the prey with him in one foot to fully frustrate the attacker, and you can see the hopping bird do that at least once.

Also note that the hopping bird keeps looking at the more stationary bird all the time ... he's watching out for (or perhaps inviting) a playful attack.

At least, that's what I think they're doing! :)

Regards,

Henning

They aren't Peregrines but one of the Accipiter hawks (Cooper's or Sharp-shinned I quess) and I thought they were feeding on insects or bits of prey given by the adults if they are juveniles just out the nest.

They aren't Peregrines but one of the Accipiter hawks (Cooper's or Sharp-shinned I quess) and I thought they were feeding on insects or bits of prey given by the adults if they are juveniles just out the nest.
Agreed. Or at least they were pretending to tackle prey. Either way, definitely hawks, not Peregrines.

Not peregrines

Definitely not peregrines as I have seen my share of them (adults and juveniles) up close. If they are newly fledged Coopers Hawks, this is normal behaviour. I have seen this behaviour a number of times with recently fledged Coopers Hawks and they're just playing or learning to hunt. I was surprised to see them on the ground after leaving the nest but that has been the case with all the nests I have observed over the years.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back