• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine falcon vs Goshawk (2 Viewers)

Hi all,
I recently did a post on Peregrine falcon vs Gyrfalcon but I have a new question.
In a fight who would win the Peregrine or Goshawk? Share your comments down below and I will get back to you.
Thanks

May I ask the reasoning behind your question please as perhaps you're interest is more to do with falconry rather than enjoying truly wild birds?
Thank you.

Fair enough; Goshawk without doubt.
Obviously your interest is linked mainly to those birds associated with your username.
I've got a question, do all falcons produce pellets?
Thanks.
P

Last edited:
Hi PYRTLE,
Its just I am interested in the food chain and bird behaviour.
Thanks

But you asked 'in a fight, who would win?', maybe better to ask "Does Peregrine ever prey on Goshawk and vice-versa?"
They don't really share the same habitats and in my experience aggressive behaviour between these two species would be related to defending nesting territory on the rare occasion that one or the other wandered too close to a nest site. Neither is above pinching a defenceless young bird of any species it can carry I imagine.
Something else one sometimes sees is mock attecks by one bird of prey species against another, two weeks ago I saw a tiny Merlin dive at a Common Buzzard, the Buzzard swerved out of the way, who won that fight?;)
Hope this helps.
Richard

It would depend on many things...

A female Peregrine and a male Goshawk are of a similar size and weight - A Peregrine (being a Falcon) has a "kill shot" (a specially adapted notch on the bill called a "tomial tooth" that is used to sever the cervical vertebrae) - a Goshawk does not. So a Peregrine could kill a Goshawk.

The main problem with the above scenario is hunting technique; a Goshawk feeds by subduing it's prey and tearing and eating... a Peregrine swoops from height gaining speed and smashes into it's target and breaks it's neck with that adapted bill.. So, on the ground, I'd bet on a Goshawk - in the air, a Peregrine would have to had selected the Goshawk as prey, and I can't see that happening

But just to indulge the fantasy, I’d guess if you did get a crazy female Peregrine, that for whatever reason decided to do for a male Goshawk, that poor Goshawk would never see it coming, and never even know what hit it.

Peregrine pairs will team up to kill Buzzards intruding near their eyries - I'd not be surprised if they could take out a Gos too.

Okay, I may be oversensitive, it has been known...
But I note that you have started 2 threads, both with the same scenario, but differing protagonists.
I am intrigued as to why you are keen to discuss these hypothetical attacks, what have you seen that would set you on this track?
Are we to expect bird of prey 1 v bird of prey 2 queries on a regular basis, similar to Celebrity Deathmatch cartoons?
Seems an oddish choice of topic for Bird Behaviour, maybe better in Ruffled Feathers.
H

Last edited:
Understandably the phrasing of the question has aroused suspicion in some. Carnivora seems to be the place that 13 year old schoolboys go to, to decide who has bragging rites ...........
https://carnivora.net/showthread.php?tid=4119&pid=24323
Mostly they're like "my Dachshund could take on a wolverine/lion/elephant!!!11"...

But I do think these questions can be interesting, if supported by genuine data and approached in a level-headed way.

Last edited:
Okay, I may be oversensitive, it has been known...
But I note that you have started 2 threads, both with the same scenario, but differing protagonists.
I am intrigued as to why you are keen to discuss these hypothetical attacks, what have you seen that would set you on this track?
Are we to expect bird of prey 1 v bird of prey 2 queries on a regular basis, similar to Celebrity Deathmatch cartoons?
Seems an oddish choice of topic for Bird Behaviour, maybe better in Ruffled Feathers.
H

Its all down to me being a 12 year old and thinking of being a falconer in the future not that I want a crazy supreme ultimate predator but to single them down to a bird I can own myself to help keep down the pest population in my area. Hope this answers your question.

Its all down to me being a 12 year old and thinking of being a falconer in the future not that I want a crazy supreme ultimate predator but to single them down to a bird I can own myself to help keep down the pest population in my area. Hope this answers your question.
Nice to hear you're taking an interest in birds of prey - but can I (and I think everyone else here will agree) plead with you: don't look to keep them captive, but instead, watch and study them flying free in the wild :t:

It's far more rewarding in the long term!

Nice to hear you're taking an interest in birds of prey - but can I (and I think everyone else here will agree) plead with you: don't look to keep them captive, but instead, watch and study them flying free in the wild :t:

I really do agree with Nutcracker here. Watching birds in the wild is really rewarding, and fun.

I can understand your fascination with birds of prey, but once that bird is off your glove you wont be able to control whether it focuses on a "pest" or an otherwise protected wild bird. As others have said, better to watch and observe truly wild raptors and help their conservation. Try your local Hawl and Owl Trust to gain more understanding of the work they do and how you can gain more knowledge about your interest.

If i was lucky enough to own one I would fly it for more than 2 hours at least.

I can understand your fascination with birds of prey, but once that bird is off your glove you wont be able to control whether it focuses on a "pest" or an otherwise protected wild bird. As others have said, better to watch and observe truly wild raptors and help their conservation. Try your local Hawk and Owl Trust to gain more understanding of the work they do and how you can gain more knowledge about your interest.

That's why I will tie its foot on the glove like many other falconers with a pain-free method and only release it when I'm satisfied its a pest and it needs eliminating.

I did ask you on 13th November if your interest was in falconry and you replied " just food chain and bird behaviour".
A pest is just a species deemed a nuisance by a human. I hope you see the light to appreciate fauna another way.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back