• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portable photo storage/backup unit: which one? (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,

since I've grown weary of having to interrupt my photographic 'hunt' because of a recurrent 'full memory' warning from my camera and I don't want to buy further CF memory cards, I'm thinking of buying instead a portable device for downloading 'in the field' my pics.

Here are my preferences:
  • storage capacity is not a problem: I think I could already do with a 20GB;
  • it should also allow reviewing of pics on a decent display;
  • battery should last enough for downloading a 2GB CF card for a couple of times and reviewing a decent amount of pics;
  • connectivity to a TV-set would be very useful;
  • a car charger adapter should be needed (as accessory as well)
  • an MP3 player is a plus, but welcomed

I've read some reviews of the following devices among others, but I'm still confused:
Smartdisk FlashTrax
Epson P2000
Picture Porter

Since I'm quite unexperienced in the field, I'd be glad to receive some advice on which unit is most suitable for my needs. Actual experience from users is well accepted! |;|

Thank you all in advance,
Max

I have used a Vosonic X'S Drive (VP3320) recently and found it to be easy to use and trouble-free.

They make several models, from basic (without a graphics viewing display) to fully-featured with colour displays. With each model you can choose what capacity you want from a minimum of 20GB up to 120GB (probably wise to work out the maximum you would ever need and then double it!). MP3 players and FM tuners are built-in.

Do you really need the viewing screen? You can review on the camera before downloading, and later when you have transferred the files to a computer. You can save quite a bit of money by eliminating the screen. All models have a text screen for viewing the contents of folders, setting preferences, selecting MP3 files, etc.

The unit I have is about the size of a cigarette packet, and when connected to a computer via the supplied USB cable, it becomes an external hard-drive so that files (any files) can be dragged and dropped in either direction.

gmax said:
Here are my preferences:
  • storage capacity is not a problem: I think I could already do with a 20GB;
  • it should also allow reviewing of pics on a decent display;
  • battery should last enough for downloading a 2GB CF card for a couple of times and reviewing a decent amount of pics;
  • connectivity to a TV-set would be very useful;
  • a car charger adapter should be needed (as accessory as well)
  • an MP3 player is a plus, but welcomed

I just got an ipod photo and a camera adapter. haven't played with it enough to recommend or otherwise but it sounds like this would meet most of these requirements with the rights connectors.

I have an Epson P2000 which is a great improvement on my previous set-up involving lugging a lap-top around for downloading in the evening.
It has an excellent screen (reportedly the best available) but you can only zoom in if the images are jpegs. It shows RAW images but you can't zoom in on them which can be a bit of a drawback with difficult identifications.
Battery life seems good but reduces significantly if you use it too much for viewing. It is essentially a portable hard disk and acts as such when you connect it to a computer via USB. It also plays audio files (I assume mp3 but I'm not sure)
I'm very happy with it.

I have the smartdisk flashtrax which works well, mine is the older model so I don't think it will play mp3. As for the screen it is 3.5 inches, but to be honest it is very slow going through the files and to be honest the screen is not big enough for me (ageing eyesight) but I can connect to another screen and I use an 8" tv.

Pete

I have a Smart Disk Flashtrax and am pretty happy with it. As for a viewscreen, I like having one so I can look just to make sure my pictures have actually been backed up. The only disadvantage of it is the pretty poor battery life. About 5 downloads off 1GB cards and a bit of reviewing and the battery's flat.

I did a fair bit of research on this mysef a while back and the Epson P2000 seemed the best suited for my needs - though I never got around to buying one. It was a two horse race back then between the Flashtrax and the Epson. The Epson reportedly had the better screen which was one of my main concerns and seems to come out top of the reviews if you're after a storage device with a viewing screen. The ones without viewing screen are obviously far smaller and more compact for taking on holidays and have the capacity to store every shot you take without needing to start deleting and of course are far less expensive.

To confuse things more, the JOBO Giga Vu Pro Evolution appears to meet your requirements and gets some pretty good reviews.

The flashtrax can play MP3, in fact I have used for bringing birds in to be viewed, the little speaker is not going to win any Hi-Fi contest but is good enough. As well as storing hundreds of photos and of course can be connected to the computer through USB 2 for quick downloading. As for the screen you can zoom in on the images to check them.

Right now the latest FlashtraxXT 40Gb is on Warehouseexpress is £199 that is £120 cheaper than the Epson and has a 3.6 screen a;so new batteries are cheaper.

Best advise though is get to a shop and look at both, that is the best advice with any product.

We also have the FlashTrax (40GB version). The battery life isn't brilliant, as has been said, if you do lots of viewing but, with a car adaptor this really isn't a problem. I don't know if this is important to you but, this has performed well abroad as well as at home. We have had it to Bulgaria, South Africa (one day the thermometer hit 48 degrees C) and Florida. The screen is good enough to pick up on really bad pictures and it does play MP3's (though we have a seperate player).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back