• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions about using feathers (1 Viewer)

2Pats

With six various feeders and a heated bird bath, I get tons of birds all year round. Consequently, I find tons of feathers, which I have saved in a plastic storage box on my porch. I would like to use these found feathers in crafts, decorations, and hair adornments. I understand that there are various diseases and parasites associated with birds and feathers. Is there a way to "sterilize" these feathers and use them as I mention, or am I wasting my time collecting them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Patricia

Here in the US it is actually not allowed to collect bird feathers. From the Federal Migratory Act:

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act decreed that all migratory birds and their parts (including eggs, nests, and feathers) were fully protected.

They should be fine as they are not covered under the migratory act.

As far as sterilizing them Patricia, not sure what to tell you with that. Soaking them in a mild solution of bleach and water and then sun dried should eliminate any parasites.

Here in the US it is actually not allowed to collect bird feathers. From the Federal Migratory Act:

Are you seriously saying that by collecting these feathers in her garden Patricia is breaking the law? No wonder there is that quote about the law being an ass!

Are you seriously saying that by collecting these feathers in her garden Patricia is breaking the law? No wonder there is that quote about the law being an ass!

The reason for this is actually well-intentioned. It is to discourage the demand for such items in the marketplace, which would otherwise re-create a supply-side industry that may mimic the 19th-century wholesale slaughter of birds for their ornamental feathers.

Robert / Seattle

Addendum: For the same reason only farm-raised "game", when offered, is available in US restaurants, otherwise an incentive for poaching wild game would be created.

Last edited:
The reason for this is actually well-intentioned. It is to discourage the demand for such items in the marketplace, which would otherwise re-create a supply-side industry that may mimic the 19th-century wholesale slaughter of birds for their ornamental feathers.

Yeah, point taken. It does sound a bit daft though!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back