• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yucatan + San Blas Jan 2017 (1 Viewer)

Some more pics:

1. Ocellated Turkey
2. Crested Guan
3. Lineated Woodpecker
4. gulls n skimmers
5. Cinnamon Hummingbird

Attachments

• IMG_0632.JPG
    IMG_0632.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 45
to Rio Lagartos

The last morning at Celestun brought us 2 Tree Swallows flying up the beach, a change from the Mangrove Swallows in town. As we were about to leave, a Zone-tailed Hawk flew over, doing a great impression of a Turkey Vulture, and a great job of starting the ball rolling for the run of birds of prey we were to have on the journey to Rio Lagartos on the north coast.

A few km over the Celestun bridge, and our next new raptor for the trip was a Laughing Falcon perched atop a telegraph pole. Next up came a Peregrine, then the first of 3 Crested Caracaras, followed by a Merlin, then two Red-tailed Hawks, and finally the one I was hoping for, a White-tailed Hawk. A party of Gull-billed Terns seen en route at the north coast were the only ones of the trip.

By the time we finally made it to this last of our Yucatan birding sites, I was down to four target birds for Rio Lagartos, with better views of Yucatan Bobwhite also desired. Ovenbird43 had been here just before us, and passed on some encouraging gen, which was that she'd seen Yucatan Bobwhites aplenty and 3 of my target birds in the same small area, Yucatan Parrot, White-browed Wren and Ruby-throated Hummingbird. This also happened to be a famous hotspot for my fourth target bird, Lesser Roadrunner, which she'd not had any luck with.

The Hotel Pescadores, where Ovenbird43 had stayed, was full, and we ended up staying at the friendly Hotel Punta Ponto on the seafront at the eastern end of town for £23 a night for the comfy room. This was great for Ronnie, as there was a resident playmate his age, and they got on great. As with a few establishments in town, Hotel Punta Ponto had hummingbird feeders regularly visited by Cinnamon Hummingbirds and Mexican Sheartails.

The view from the terrace produced similar species to Celestun, but also a nice Caspian Tern. There were Caribbean Flamingos, Wood Storks, American White Ibis, American White and Brown Pelicans, Laughing Gulls, Black Skimmers, Royal and Cabot's Terns, Willet, shockingly close Magnificent Frigatebirds etc.

But here, in spite of the almost constant encouragement from the locals to go on a boat excursion to see the flamingos, my main focus was to to be on the birds of the inland scrub. Birds for which a tried and tested hotspot was some 8km east of the crossroads south of town. A spot where the road bends sharply left and a dirt track peels off to Rancho San Salvador.

Last edited:
Rio Lagartos

By this stage in the trip the prospect of a lie in and the included breakfast were considerably more of a draw for Nicky and Ronnie, than another early drive to a birding spot. The idea of seeing roadrunners piqued Nicky's interest, but only up until I had to admit that they were unlikely to be purple, and unlikely to go "meep-meep".

So I set off alone before sun-up on Jan15th, and pulled into the first pull-off just after turning east onto the road to Coloradas. I immediately heard Yucatan Bobwhites, at this spot where Dave Showler had noted them in his report. It didn't take long to track one down in the rock-strewn sparse cactus scrub on the north side of the road. Continuing east I was driving straight into the emerging sun, and I stopped just for a perched White-tailed Hawk before getting to the junction at km8 where I parked the car.

Birding was excellent round the junction, and I saw 3 more Yucatan Bobwhites, lots of Yucatan Wrens, Mexican Sheartails and a host of other interesting birds. By 9am however I'd had no luck with any of my target birds. Particularly frustrating were the parrots, as I'd seen a few unidentifiable flyovers, and even went in after a couple of distant perched birds. Over the fence, and picking my way through the cactus, getting more and more sweaty and breathless, stopping to see if they were close enough yet. Eventually I got near enough to determine the colour of the ear coverts just before they flew. White-fronted Parrots. Again :-C. These were followed by a few flyovers that did come close enough to be identified. White-fronted Parrots. Again. Bird activity was tailing off, but then finally finding a perchedRuby-throated Hummingbird gave me the will to carry on. Then things picked up in a big way, as within the first 200m along the track on the south side of the track I bumped into not one but two surprisingly beautifully marked Lesser Roadrunners. They were just walking along and feeding among the bare areas in an area of low scrub. Superb. They were then quickly followed by a Carolina Wren, (split in the field guide as White-browed Wren). Grilling this bird made me realise that I may have overlooked the species at Calakmul, writing off brief views as White-bellied Wrens when the size and structure weren't apparent, as the lores weren't as obviously dark as I was expecting.

Other birds in the scrub around the junction included Grey Hawk, Crested Caracara, Merlin, Zenaida (2) and Common Ground Doves, Mangrove Vireo, Blue-black Grassquit, Indigo Bunting, Painted Bunting, Blue Grosbeak, Northern Cardinal, Melodious and Red-winged Blackbirds, Hooded and Orange Orioles, Olive-throated Parakeet, Grey-crowned (2) and Common (lots) Yellowthroats, Rufous-browed Peppershrike, Velasquez's Woodpecker, and Ferruginous Pygmy Owl. Some great wader habitat near the junction provided wonderfully close views of Western, Least, Stilt and Spotted Sandpipers, Short-billed Dowitcher, Killdeer, American Avocet, and Black-necked Stilt.

So next morning I set off on a mission just specifically targeting Yucatan Parrot. I had exactly the same experience, that I'd by now become quite used to. Plenty of parrots, most of them unidentifiable, some of them White-fronted Parrots. This time I was disgruntled enough by just before 9am to want to cut my losses and make the window for the free breakfast. I did run into a Lesser Roadrunner again, at the junction, and another ran across the road on my way back, by the km2 marker. I had my window wound down, but didn't hear it go "meep-meep".

We still had a couple of days spare before flying to Puerto Vallarta, but I couldn't face another parrot-dip morning, and Nicky wasn't hugely into being at Rio Lagartos, so we decided to leave early and head to Puerto Morelos for some duding before the flight. We picked up Vermilion Flycatcher and American Kestrel en route.

As we drove our hire car for the last time, back to Cancun airport on Jan 18th, the parrots had one final laugh. This was the only time I'd been in the passenger seat without my bins on my lap, and yes, a pair of Amazona's flew right in front of the car across the highway, pretty close and in good light, but too far away without bins.

So all in all I was amazed by how well we'd done in the Yucatan part of the trip. Of my original 51 target birds, I'd missed 6. 3 of these (Grey-collared Becard, Middle American Screech Owl and Spotted Rail) were theoretically still possible at sites around San Blas. Of the others Yucatan Parrot was easily the most annoying, with the others: Chestnut-coloured Woodpecker and Rufous-breasted Spinetail always probably long shots.

Last edited:
Good job on the Lesser Roadrunner! And I thought the same thing too when I first saw the Carolina Wren there - I thought White-bellied Wren because of the apparent light lores but knew that couldn't be it - also doesn't look too much like the Carolina Wrens at home either!

San Blas part 1

From Puerto Vallarta airport it's about a two and a half hour drive to San Blas. We had about an hour left of light by the time we'd got the car hire sorted out, and set off northwards on highway 200. Huge flocks of icterids, mostly Great-tailed Grackles, were heading to roost. We also picked up a couple of White-faced Ibis, and 2 Rufous-bellied Chachalacas en route before it got dark. When we arrived at our prebooked self catering accommodation, Casa Morelos, at Matanchen, c4km from San Blas, we were disappointed at how run down and dirty the place was. With it's location very close to mangroves we were worried it would be bad for mozzies in the night, but as it turned out the screens were very effective. Over a couple of days we warmed to the place and the surrounding area, and Ronnie loved the pool in the garden.

Birding at first light in the garden quickly produced Golden-cheeked, Gila and Lineated Woodpeckers, a flyover Roseate Spoonbill, and a party of Yellow-winged Caciques. A smart Rufous-backed Thrush on the lawn was the first of several new species I was finally to get to see around San Blas, that I had fantasized about finding as vagrants during the 6 months I lived in southeast Arizona a couple of decades ago. A Wilson's Warbler in the garden was the first sign that the common nearctic migrants were going to be different on this side of the country.

It was getting a bit late in the morning by the time we visited our first birding site, Singayta, and bird activity was very low. We bumped into our first flock of Sinaloa Crows as we left Matanchen, and saw some Bronzed Cowbirds with the grackles. Advice from Pbjosh was that although this was still the best site in close proximity to San Blas, the lower Singayta track was quite degraded since the bird finding guide was written, but there is good thorn forest habitat along a 'Singayta south' track. We found (what I think is) this track quite easily, on the south side of the road, immediately before a nursery, which is on the south side of the road just as you get to the start of Singayta. The track was too rough for our car, so we parked on the main road, after being warned not to park at the start of the track by someone driving a large lorry up the track! It was very hard work with Ronnie, the track being too rocky for a buggy, and we didn't get more than about 1km up the track, inspite of his interest in where the lorries were going. Highlights were a Happy Wren, and a couple of Citreoline Trogons. Other birds included Black-throated Grey and Black and White Warblers, Northern Parula, American Redstart, Warbling Vireo, Dusky-capped and 'Western' Flycatchers, Greyish Saltator, Streak-backed Oriole, White-fronted Parrot, and Blue-grey Gnatcatcher. I also nearly stood on a Pauraque.

We then decided to visit the old Lower Singayta track as described in Howell, where I was keen to find the marshy area to look for White-throated Flycatcher. Once in Singayta, I'm not sure that I kept on track with the directions, and didn't find a marshy area as such. I kept on what ended up being the track following a stream, with some damp scrub all along it. It was hot, and birding was hard work, but I did find some more 'Western' Flycatchers, , MacGillivray's and Orange-crowned Warblers, Inca and Ruddy Ground Doves, Orange-fronted Parakeet, Thick-billed Kingbird, Vermilion Flycatcher, Great Kiskadee, and the local Cinnamon-rumped form of White-collared Seedeater. Groove-billed Ani was pretty common, and I flushed some quail that I was unable to identify.

We then drove into San Blas to have a look around, and hung out on the beach at Matanchen for the afternoon. This produced 4 Ring-billed Gulls, a single Blue-footed Booby feeding out in the bay, numerous Mangrove, Barn, and Northern Rough-winged Swallows, a Belted Kingfisher, Mangrove Yellow Warbler, Blue Grosbeak, Northern Mockingbird, a Ferruginous Pygmy Owl, Broad-billed and Cinnamon Hummingbirds, and some waterbirds: American Oystercatcher, Willet, Black-necked Stilt, Tricoloured and Yellow-crowned Night Herons, Magnificent Frigatebirds etc. A couple of Rufous-bellied Chachalacas put in an appearance in the garden at one point.

Late afternoon we decided to try finding the site we were to visit the next morning, La Bajada. Which was up in the low hills, some 15km from where we were staying. Following the directions in Howell didn't work for us once we got to the village of La Palma, and we ended up finding the right road out of the village by asking locals the way to Bajada. On our way back down we tried a more direct route through La Palma, and this worked fine for us. I'd suggest that where in Howell it suggests you go straight on instead of turning right through the village, you don't do this. Instead, turn right, continue until you get to the first speed bump spanning the whole road, turn left immediately after the speed bump, and in c100m turn right where the building on your left has a big coca cola painting on the wall. You are now on the road going right up to La Bajada. When in La Bajada, stay on the steep cobbled road with smooth concrete 'tram-lines' in the middle, and stop when you get to the edge of town (at the start of the plantations).

As we'd found the site, I couldn't resist a poke about the first 50m or so that evening, and this ended up producing the trip's only Sinaloa Wren and Elegant Trogons.

We birded La Bajada from first light next day until about 11am. Again this was really hard work with Ronnie and the buggy, and we only managed a couple of km, by which time the habitat was just starting to get more foresty and less purely plantation. We still ended up seeing a few goodies though, including the amazing bird deemed special enough to grace the front cover of the Mexico field guide, Black-throated Magpie-Jay. More 'Arizona fantasy birds' were provided in the form of a Yellow Grosbeak and a Berylline Hummingbird. A Brown-backed Solitaire appeared just as the track passed into the first patch of forest. Nicky picked up the first of two Rusty-crowned Ground Sparrows. A big surprise was a yodelling Black Hawk-Eagle patrolling the valley, way way out of range according to the field guide.

An instantly familiar call from my past, that of a Greater Pewee, finally led to a good sized mixed flock. Mostly made up of Nashville, Black-throated Grey and Wilson's Warblers, Western Tanagers, and Warbling Vireos, this flock also contained a smart male Black-capped Vireo, a Golden Vireo, Greyish Saltators, Golden-cheeked and Pale-billed Woodpeckers, a Chestnut-sided Warbler, Ivory-billed Woodpecker, Greenish Elaenia, Streak-backed Oriole, and Rose-throated Becard.

MacGillivray's Warblers and White-tipped Doves lurked in the undergrowth, Good numbers of Yellow-winged Caciques were pretty noisy, and a single flock of flyover Amazona parrots were characteristically unidentifiable. A couple of Citreoline Trogons were also seen. A beautiful male Painted Bunting popped out to say hello just as we were leaving the site, and we bumped into a huge flock of Sinaloa Crows in La Palma on the way back down.

So a bit of a taste of the area's birds, but we missed an awful lot of the site's specialities. A couple of days full on birding a few km up the track would doubtless produce different results than a few hours struggling with a reluctant 3 year old.

Back at home, mangrove and scrub behind our place produced a Common Black Hawk and a Happy Wren, but the best bird happened when I was walking back from a nearby store with Ronnie. I had my bins round my neck, but one hand was carrying the shopping and my other hand was holding Ronnie's hand, when this strange long thing undulated over the road in front of us. It had to be 'the' motmot! I put down the shopping, picked up Ronnie, and scrabbled over some rough ground to below the tree where the bird had appeared to land. For the first time Ronnie began some completely unsolicited pishing! (I wasn't even doing it!) A special moment. We soon spotted the bird and it was indeed a gorgeous Russet-crowned Motmot, the only one we were to see on the trip.

Last edited:
San Blas part 2

Next morning's site to visit was a "new" site not in the Howell guide, Tecuitata, located some 30km from San Blas. To get there head south beyond the turn to La Bajada, and at the junction with Miramar/Santa Cruz, rather than continue on towards Puerto Vallarta, head inland for c8km up into the hills. We pulled in on the right upon entering the village of Tecuitata, and asked for Teodoro in the first house on the right past the km37 marker, as suggested by pbjosh. From here we were directed across the road and a further 50m, to a house where we bought entry permits for the area the villagers are working towards managing to keep it bird friendly. The tickets we bought (500 pesos each) had pics of 3 birds on them: Citreoline Trogon, San Blas Jay, and what looked like the bird I'd identified as Black Hawk-Eagle at La Bajada the day before.

There are two cobbled roads on the north side of the main road that enter the area, and we were informed by a passing caballero that it didn't matter which one we took as they converged in about 1km. We took the more westerly track, which initially wasn't steep uphill (unlike the other track). Unfortunately, we should have taken the steep uphill track next to the inconspicuous church, as we discovered later that this enters better habitat much more quickly. By the time we hit the 'right' track, it was getting towards 11am, and bird activity had tailed off massively. As a result I think we probably botched this site, and missed a fair few good birds.

Highlights along the lower track were finally catching up with Blue Mockingbird (2), and eventually finding a big fruiting tree being visited by birds into 3 figures. This was an incredible sight, but unfortunately none of my target birds were among the species visiting the tree and it's surround. Nevertheless there were heaps of Rufous-backed Thrushes, Western Tanagers, and Yellow-winged Caciques, with small numbers of White-throated Thrush, Greyish Saltator, Black-throated Magpie-Jay, Hooded, Streak-backed and Baltimore Oroles. Also along this route there were a fair few annoyingly fast hummingbirds, Boat-billed and Brown-crested Flycatchers, Great Kiskadee, Blue-grey Gnatcatcher, Black-capped Vireo, Happy Wren, Rose-throated Becard, Thick-billed Kingbird, and the commoner nearctic migrants present at La Bajada.

Once on the 'right' track, I quickly flushed one of the iconics I was hoping for: an Elegant Quail, and in spite of the heat also dug out 2 more Black-capped Vireos, 3 Scrub Euphonias, Broad-billed Hummingbird, Citreoline Trogon, Masked Tityra, and 2 Rusty-crowned Ground Sparrows.

Back at the coast, lunch in the village of Aticama was in the company of hundreds of Heerman's Gulls and Magnificent Frigatebirds, a few California Gulls, and Yellow-crowned Night Herons on the rocks. The drive into the pleasant town of San Blas for the afternoon produced the trip's only Northern Shovelers, along with a few Blue-winged Teal, and fantastic close views of more than 20 basking crocodiles (Ronnie asking "are they real?"). A drive round the block before settling on our San Blas beachfront evening eatery then came up trumps, when we chanced upon an overgrown weedy 'block' not far behind the crashed airplane. For me the highlight here was a few Ruddy-breasted Seedeaters, in the company of other seedeating birds, including White-collared Seedeater, Varied Bunting and Painted Bunting. This patch also held Vermilion Flycatcher, MacGillivrays Warbler and Orange-crowned Warbler.

Next morning we had a bit of a choice. We were leaving our place in Matanchen and would stay for a night much closer to Puerto Vallarta so that we'd make the flight easily. The plan was to go to our new place via 2 birding sites in the Howell guide, Mirador del Aguila and Cerro de San Juan, but in which order? Arriving late at Cerro de San Juan would certainly mean missing the best chance of a good number of new birds, but I wanted to give Mirador del Aguila a decent early morning go for it's star bird: Military Macaw. In my book a new bird that happens to be one of the big macaws is worth half a dozen new birds that aren't big macaws. No contest. The trouble was that our gen for the view point was nearly 20 years old, and we'd had unbroken bad luck so far with scoring any new parrots on the trip. Would this bad luck hold?

En route to the main Tepic-Mazatlan highway, we finally broke our parrot duck. A wheeling flock of about 20 little Mexican Parrotlets passed over the car and landed in a road side tree, to still be there when we went back for them. Hopefully a good omen. So onto the viewpoint on the old highway, easily found from directions in Howell. I was immediately impressed upon arrival, as it was a much more spectacular setting than I had imagined. A vista of unbroken forested steep valleys as far as I could see, with pools of mist in the distant valley bottoms, way way beyond when even a big kraarking macaw would be an inaudible speck in a powerful scope. As soon as we got out at the pull off Macaws could be heard in the forest below, but it was impossible to pinpoint where. Over the next 10 minutes a couple of Peregrines flew by, and we picked out Rufous-bellied Chachalacas and Yellow-winged Caciques in the trees not too far away. Scanning wildly failed to pick up any macaws though, until finally I glimpsed one disappearing behind a ridge. Then over the next ten minutes we were treated to two groups of four kraarking Military Macaws oaring past below us. They were quite a lot closer than I'd feared they would be, and in perfect light. Still distant, but in the bins you could make out eg the colour of the frons. Parrot jinx definitely put to rest in a big green and blue way B :) .

Last edited:
some more of Nicky's pics:

1. Ferruginous Pygmy Owl (and American White Ibis)
2. Masked Tityra
3. Black-throated Magpie-Jay
4. Croc

Attachments

• IMG_1007.JPG
    IMG_1007.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 17
San Blas part 3

Getting between the Mirador and Cerro de San Juan took a lot longer than hoped, as we got stuck behind slow-moving trucks. The Directions in Howell are still good, with the bonus that the first 5km of road up to Cuarenteno is now sealed. Although it quickly enters lush-looking pine/oak forest, we pressed on to about km8, where the area around Rancho Noria reportedly was likely to be most productive.

Even though we'd got there rather late, and there were big numbers of kids on mountain bikes around, there was still a fair bit of bird activity. I quickly picked up a flock of brightly coloured Black-headed Siskins, and our 8th species of wren of the trip, the rather large endemic Spotted Wren. Plenty of hummingbirds were visiting the flowers on the overgrown left-hand verge on the approach to the ranch, Selasphorus sp including at least some Rufous Hummingbirds, and some really smart White-eared Hummingbirds, but no sign of the site's specials. The barbecue area just before the main entrance attracted lots of birds providing great views: a group of 3 Eastern Bluebirds, a smart male Bullock's Oriole, Acorn Woodpeckers, a pair of Hepatic Tanagers, Chipping, Lincoln's and a big fat Rusty Sparrow, all picking treats of the barbie. That area too also hosted a gingery little Tufted Flycatcher, and a female Grey Silky-Flycatcher.

A Greater Pewee once again drew me to the only mixed flock of the day. It was a bit like being in Arizona: Painted Redstart, Hutton's Vireo, Western Tanager, Audubon's Warbler, Townsend's Warbler, Black-throated Grey Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Blue-grey Gnatcatcher, and a couple of neotropical flavours, Ivory-billed Woodcreeper and a Rufous-capped Warbler in the undergrowth.

Stuff flying over included the homely site of a Raven, and a couple each of Red-tailed and Grey Hawks.

Poking about in the forest finally produced a fine Crescent-chested Warbler. Then we explored the first few km over the hill and down through the forest, as far as the pink shrine. By then it was really quiet, but we did manage a Hermit Thrush, a Berylline and several White-eared Hummingbirds, and a Wilson's Warbler.

Back almost at the Tepic-Santa Cruz road we screeched to a halt to greet a birder on the road (and please shoot me if I ever become the kind of miserable excuse for a birder that doesn't always stop in this situation, in case there's anything useful for either party to pass on). This was the friendly Jose Luis from San Blas, with whom we shared a Short-tailed Hawk, and his excitement over finding a Chestnut-sided Warbler, which I was to learn was a good bird for me to have found at La Bajada. He also confirmed the presence of Black Hawk Eagle at La Bajada.

Onwards to San Francisco, a coastal town within striking distance of Puerto Vallarta for the morning, produced two groups of Black-throated Magpie-Jays en route. Whilst dining on the beach in the small resort town, Nicky had to point out that me standing up and grabbing my bins and shouting "Wow look boobies!" was likely to have alarmed the beach-dressed women at the table between us and the string of five Blue-footed Boobies that were passing by along the shore line.

Next morning, Jan 23rd, I figured we could squeeze in half an hour at a birding site briefly described in Howell, that was 20km north of Puerto Vallarta airport. Km4 along the Punta Mita rd. Howell only mentions a few birds for this spot, but one of them is Orange-breasted Bunting.

Here though, things had changed. The Punta Mita road is now a fast dual carriageway, with no way of crossing the central reservation. We had to speed past km4, but came to a roundabout after another couple of km, signed I think to Hahui and Playa Destiladeras. We came off here with the intention of swinging back to km4, but the habitat looked so good around the roundabout that we just parked there and gave it the half hour we had. I wish we could have had at least a whole morning at this spot! The now overgrown weedy flat area, presumably once for construction vehicles, was great for seed-eating birds, and it wasn't long before I found a party of five Stripe-headed Sparrows, and a scattering of mostly unidentified buntings yielded a smart male Varied Bunting and a shockingly bright female Orange-breasted Bunting. A flyover party of Black-throated Magpie-Jays didn't quite sound the same as the harsh noise coming rom the tall thorn forest up the slope, so I had to scrabble in after the noise. This paid off bigtime, when I found myself looking at a flock of San Blas Jays, getting in on the trip by the skin of their teeth! I couldn't get onto most of the hummers seen, but as well as Broad-billed Hummingbird, I got decent views of a Golden-crowned Emerald. A Black-capped Gnatcatcher was another nice "Arizona fantasy bird", and it was also off my radar, as was the only Bell's Vireo of the trip. Streak-backed Orioles were here too, and who knows what else, if you get more time to potter about this site.

So it was back to Cancun, then over to dude the end of the hols away at Isla Mujeres, where the only birds of note were Mangrove Vireo, White-capped Pigeon and Belted Kingfisher.

Last edited:
An instantly familiar call from my past, that of a Greater Pewee, finally led to a good sized mixed flock. Mostly made up of Nashville, Black-throated Grey and Wilson's Warblers, Western Tanagers, and Warbling Vireos, this flock also contained a smart male Black-capped Vireo, a Golden Vireo, Greyish Saltators, Golden-cheeked and Pale-billed Woodpeckers, a Chestnut-sided Warbler, Ivory-billed Woodpecker, Greenish Elaenia, Streak-backed Oriole, and Rose-throated Becard.

You might start a panic with that one! Cornell would like further details - it's the best of the recent sightings. B :)

cheers, a

You might start a panic with that one! Cornell would like further details - it's the best of the recent sightings. B :)

cheers, a

Lol! glad someone's paying attention Alan! Bet it's not the first time someone's committed that typo either!

EDIT: obviously I meant Imperial ;)

Last edited:
Trip list

No time to do an annotated list I'm afraid, but here's the full trip list, order following the Howell and Webb field guide, but species limits following IOC version 7.1. Lifers in bold B :)

1. Pied-billed Grebe
2. Least Grebe
3. Blue-footed Booby
4. American White Pelican
5. Brown Pelican
6. Double-crested Cormorant
7. Neotropic Cormorant
8. Anhinga
9. Magnificent Frigatebird
10. Bare-throated Tiger Heron
11. Great Blue Heron
12. Great Egret
13. Snowy Egret
14. Little Blue Heron
15. Tricoloured Heron
16. Western Cattle Egret
17. Green Heron
18. Yellow-crowned Night Heron
19. Boat-billed Heron
20. American White Ibis
21. White-faced Ibis
22. Roseate Spoonbill
23. Wood Stork
24. Caribbean Flamingo
25. Blue-winged Teal
26. Northern Shoveler
27. Black Vulture
28. Turkey Vulture
29. Western Osprey
30. Hook-billed Kite
31. Snail Kite
32. Common Black Hawk
33. Grey Hawk
34. Roadside Hawk
35. Short-tailed Hawk
36. White-tailed Hawk
37. Zone-tailed Hawk
38. Red-tailed Hawk
39. Black Hawk-Eagle
40. Crested Caracara
41. Laughing alcon
42. Collared Forest Falcon
43. American Kestrel
44. Merlin
45. Peregrine
46. Plain Chachalaca
47. Rufous-bellied Chachalaca
48. Crested Guan
49. Ocellated Turkey
50. Singing Quail
51. Yucatan Bobwhite
52. Elegant Quail
53. Ruddy Crake
54. Rufous-necked Wood Rail
55. Rufous-naped Wood Rail
56. American Coot
57. Sungrebe
58. Limpkin
59. Grey Plover
60. Killdeer
61. American Oystercatcher
62. Black-necked Stilt
63. American Avocet
64. Northern Jacana
65. Greater Yellowlegs
66. Lesser Yellowlegs
67. Willet
68. Spotted Sandpiper
69. Ruddy Turnstone
70. Sanderling
71. Western Sandpiper
72. Least Sandpiper
73. Stilt Sandpiper
74. Short-billed Dowitcher
75. Heerman's Gull
76. Laughing Gull
77. Ring-billed Gull
78. California Gull
79. American Herring Gull
80. Lesser Black-backed Gull
81. Gull-billed Tern
82. Caspian Tern
83. Royal Tern
84. Cabot's Tern
85. Black Skimmer
86. Rock Dove (intro)
87. White-crowned Pigeon
88. Red-billed Pigeon
89. White-winged Dove
90. Zenaida Dove
91. Inca Dove
92. Common Ground Dove
93. Ruddy Ground Dove
94. Eurasian Collared Dove (intro)
95. White-tipped Dove
96. Caribbean Dove
97. Ruddy Quail Dove
98. Olive-throated Parakeet
99. Orange-fronted Parakeet
100. Military Macaw
101. Mexican Parrotlet
102. White-crowned Parrot
103. White-fronted Parrot
104. Mangrove Cuckoo
105. Squirrel Cuckoo
106. Lesser Roadrunner
107. Smooth-billed Ani
108. Groove-billed Ani
109. Ferruginous Pygmy Owl
110. Pauraque
111. Yucatan Nightjar
112. Yucatan Poorwill
113. Vaux's Swift
114. Wedge-tailed Sabrewing
115. Green-breasted Mango
116. Canivet's Emerald
117. Golden-crowned Emerald
118. Cozumel Emerald
119. Broad-billed Hummingbird
120. White-eared Hummingbird
121. White-bellied Emerald
122. Berylline Hummingbird
123. Buff-bellied Hummingbird
124. Cinnamon Hummingbird
125. Mexican Sheartail
126. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
127. Rufous Hummingbird
128. Black-headed Trogon
129. Citreoline Trogon
130. Gartered Trogon
131. Elegant Trogon
132. Russet-crowned Motmot
133. Turquoise-browed Motmot
134. Ringed Kingfisher
135. Belted Kingfisher
136. Collared Aracari
137. Keel-billed Toucan
138. Acorn Woodpecker
139. Golden-cheeked Woodpecker
140. Yucatan Woodpecker
141. Velasquez's Woodpecker
142. Gila Woodpecker
143. Ladder-backed Woodpecker
144. Golden-olive Woodpecker
145. Lineated Woodpecker
146. Pale-billed Woodpecker
147. Tawny-winged Woodcreeper
148. Ruddy Woodcreeper
149. Olivaceous Woodcreeper
150. Northern Barred Woodcreeper
151. Ivory-billed Woodcreeper
152. Barred Antshrike
153. Mayan Antthrush
154. Northern Beardless Tyrannulet
155. Greenish Elaenia
156. Caribbean Elaenia
157. Slate-headed Tody-Flycatcher
158. Eye-ringed Flatbill
159. Yellow-olive Flycatcher
160. Stub-tailed Spadebill
161. Tufted Flycatcher
162. Greater Pewee
163. Tropical Pewee
164. Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
165. Least Flycatcher
166. "Western" Flycatcher
167. Vermilion Flycatcher
168. Yucatan Flycatcher
169. Dusky-capped Flycatcher
170. Great Crested Flycatcher
171. Brown-crested Flycatcher
172. Great Kiskadee
173. Boat-billed Flycatcher
174. Social Flycatcher
175. Tropical Kingbird
176. Couch's Kingbird
177. Thick-billed Kingbird
178. Fork-tailed Flycatcher
179. Rose-throated Becard
180. Masked Tityra
181. Red-capped Manakin
182. Tree Swallow
183. Mangrove Swallow
184. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
185. Cave Swallow
186. Barn Swallow
187. Black-throated Magpie-Jay
188. Green Jay
189. Brown Jay
190. San Blas Jay
191. Yucatan Jay
192. Sinaloa Crow
193. Raven
194. Spotted Wren
195. Yucatan Wren
196. Spot-breasted Wren
197. Happy Wren
198. Sinaloa Wren
199. Carolina Wren
200. White-bellied Wren
201. House Wren
202. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
203. Long-billed Gnatwren
204. Blue-grey Gnatcatcher
205. Black-capped Gnatcatcher
206. White-lored Gnatcatcher
207. Eastern Bluebird
208. Brown-backed Solitaire
209. Swainson's Thrush
210. Hermit Thrush
211. Clay-coloured Thrush
212. White-throated Thrush
213. Rufous-backed Thrush
214. Grey Catbird
215. Black Catbird
216. Blue Mockingbird
217. Northern Mockingbird
218. Tropical Mockingbird
219. Grey Silky-Flycatcher
220. White-eyed Vireo
221. Mangrove Vireo
222. Cozumel Vireo
223. Bell's Vireo
224. Black-capped Vireo
225. Yellow-throated Vireo
226. Hutton's Vireo
227. Golden Vireo
228. Warbling Vireo
229. Yucatan Vireo
230. Lesser Greenlet
231. Rufous-browed Peppeshrike
232. Blue-winged Warbler
233. Orange-crowned Warbler
234. Nashville Warbler
235. Crescent-chested Warbler
236. Northern Parula
237. Yellow Warbler
238. Mangrove Yellow Warbler
239. Chestnut-sided Warbler
240. Magnolia Warbler
241. Audubon's Warbler
242. Black-throated Grey Warbler
243. Townsend's Warbler
244. Black-throated Green Warbler
245. Yellow-throated Warbler
246. Palm Warbler
247. Black and White Warbler
248. American Redstart
249. Worm-eating Warbler
250. Swainson's Warbler
251. Ovenbird
252. Northern Watethrush
253. MacGillivray's Warbler
254. Common Yellowthroat
255. Grey-crowned Yellowthroat
256. Hooded Warbler
257. Wilson's Warbler
258. Painted Redstart
259. Rufous-capped Warbler
260. Yellow-breasted Chat
261. Grey-throated Chat
262. Bananaquit
263. Scrub Euphonia
264. Yellow-throated Euphonia
265. Blue-grey Tanager
266. Yellow-winged Tanager
267. Red-throated Ant-Tanager
268. Hepatic Tanager
269. Summer Tanager
270. Rose-throated Tanager
271. Western Tanager
272. Greyish Saltator
273. Black-headed Saltator
274. Northern Cardinal
275. Yellow Grosbeak
276. Blue Grosbeak
277. Blue Bunting
278. Indigo Bunting
279. Varied Bunting
280. Painted Bunting
281. Orange-breasted Bunting
282. Olive Sparrow
283. Green-backed Sparrow
284. Rusty-crowned Ground Sparrow
285. Blue-black Grassquit
286. White-collared Seedeater
287. Ruddy-breasted seedeater
288. Yellow-faced Grassquit
289. Stripe-headed Sparrow
290. Rusty Sparrow
291. Chipping Sparrow
292. Lincoln's Sparrow
293. Red-winged Blackbird
294. Melodious Blackbird
295. Great-tailed Grackle
296. Bronzed Cowbird
297. Brown-headed Cowbird
298. Black-cowled Oriole
299. Orchard Oriole
300. Hooded Oriole
301. Yellow-backed Oriole
302. Yellow-tailed Oriole
303. Streak-backed Oriole
304. Orange Oriole
305. Altamira Oriole
306. Baltimore Oriole
307. Bullock's Oriole
308. Yellow-winged Cacique
309. Yellow-billed Cacique
310. Montezuma Oropendola
311. Black-headed Siskin
312. Lesser Goldfinch
313. House Sparrow (intro)

Last edited:
A very good read! Thanks for taking the time to post this! West Mexico is very high on my to-do list and I think you have pushed the yucatan further up that list!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back