• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flicker house damage (1 Viewer)

BlueJaybob

Mant people here in CO are getting mad at flickers for nesting on the house. One house had 26 or 27 holes on only one side of the house. I think that guy is trying to get a permit to shoot them, they are protected right.....

BlueJaybob said:
Mant people here in CO are getting mad at flickers for nesting on the house. One house had 26 or 27 holes on only one side of the house. I think that guy is trying to get a permit to shoot them, they are protected right.....

I found this website that suggests a lot of methods to control flicker damage, but says as a last resort people are allowed to shoot them if they get a federal permit.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06516.html

From the window at my work I have been watching a house that has been badly damaged by flickers. The owners kept patching holes in the stucco, but the flickers would just make a new hole through the patch. They ended up screwing on metal plates and stuccoing over the plates. I had never seen one before and it was sure a treat to watch them. For past couple of weeks, no flickers or new holes. Bad for me, but good for the homeowner.

I like the idea on the website of putting up nest boxes.

Does this guy live inside town boundaries? If he does, maybe he can't fire a gun on his property anyway and then it wouldn't matter if he got a permit.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back