• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kinglets interacting with sapsuckers in Texas (1 Viewer)

aaron1956

aaron1956
I have had a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that shows up every year for about three years now and hangs out for a month or so, pecking on an Ash tree in my yard. I can't say if it is the same bird or not. This year, I have had several Ruby-crowned Kinglets also. My wife and I have observed several times the kinglet flying close to the sapsucker and hovering or sitting on a limb watching it. I think the kinglet has learned that there will be a meal of sap and insects for it when the sapsucker is not around. Has anyone else observed or heard of this?

Certainly heard of other birds visiting sapsucker holes for food; seems reasonable that they'll learn to watch out for new holes being dug.

I have had a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that shows up every year for about three years now and hangs out for a month or so, pecking on an Ash tree in my yard. I can't say if it is the same bird or not. This year, I have had several Ruby-crowned Kinglets also. My wife and I have observed several times the kinglet flying close to the sapsucker and hovering or sitting on a limb watching it. I think the kinglet has learned that there will be a meal of sap and insects for it when the sapsucker is not around. Has anyone else observed or heard of this?

Haven't observed kinglets visiting sap wells but have seen Yellow-rumped Warblers do so on many occasions, and have also seen them actually feeding at the wells sometimes in the presence of the sapsucker. Insects are also attracted to the wells, and the warblers doubtless feed on them as well as the sap.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back