• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden..single occurence species (1 Viewer)

KenM

One of the many interesting aspects of garden birding is the number of listing applications that one can devise!...ie.first and last dates for various species, fly-over birds, birds seen solely within the garden, no.of common/scarce species recorded etc.etc.

Over the Xmas period It occured to me...that during the 27 year tenancy of my current abode, I have had 3 single (within the garden occurences only!), and surprisingly they are all 'fairly' regular (once a week on average) as flyovers.

Unlike some of the scarcer species which have occured say less than 10 times. The 3 single occurence species are Grey Heron, Ring-necked Parakeet and Mallard.

What other single occurences have the forum had...and how common/scarce are they relatively speaking in your 'neck of the woods'?

cheers ;)

The first 2 single occurence species I've had actually in the garden that spring to mind are Siberian Rubythroat and Cetti's Warbler neither exactly common in my neck of the woods to say the least.
Others that i can only remeber a single occurence of are Pied Flycatcher and Wood Warbler,the only less unusual species that i can think of that I've only had one of is Meadow Pipit though even then i guess its fairly unusual in the garden as i dont see them as flyovers or in the immediate area often.

Three species that I can remember only having seen once in my garden are common whitethroat, rosy starling and swallow. The rosy starling, in autumn 1999, was the first record for the Isle of Man. Common whitethroats breed within about 1-2km of my house, and swallows often fly over.

Allen

Last edited:
Interesting so far!....

3 common at one site, 2 'Rares'....(one being eye-wateringly so!) at another, and 1 Rare+2 common at another...any more out there?..

If only to give an indication of how important (private land)..our gardens are in providing a temporary refuge to those species that wouldn't ordinarily utilise this type of sectioned/parametred habitat.

:t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back