• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory Billed Found!! (1 Viewer)

Ryder

Hi:
Just heard that the Ivory-billed Woodpecker has been found in Arkansas!

Apparently a male has been filmed and was reported in "Science" magazine.

Lets hope there is a viable population.

Craig Ryder

Sightings

This leads me to wonder about the validity of the old sighting in Louisiana. This new information is promising.

After 7000 hours and presumably some of the most expensive glass in the world, I hope they have a good image. Also, does this mean the IBW is back on the endangered species list? Hope it's covered under the migratory bird act or something to keep collector's at bay. Do suddenly unextinct animals have any protection at all?

Good news anyway.

ivory billed woodpecker

like most people who love birds i am astounded that this fantastic bird lives. the one thing that puzzles me is how a bird of this size can manage to remain undetected in a country like north america for so long

Bush's Stand: Big Bird, small role in conservation
Our Stand: Giant Bird, Giant role in conservation

while it is true that the ibw is a big bird, how many times do people who work in the forests of the west see a mountain lion or even more elusive, a wolverine. the ibw habitat, while perhaps not as large, is every bit as isolated.

For the story about the discovery of the ivory bill woodpecker from the people involved in the search, here is the place to read about it:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/ivory/

While reading and celebrating the discovery of this bird, please consider supporting the Lab of Ornithology as a member. They have been doing great work in bird conservation for a long time. In the future, it'll be hard to top this achievement though! Conservation takes $$$ and much of the money comes from membership fees, so join the effort!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I have just finished reading the newly published book - The Grail Bird- by Tim Gallagher, one of the discoverers. It's available at online bookstores - I got mine at Amazon.com. It's an excellent read, and chronicles the search, based on credible sight reports, and the eventual proof, very nicely.

Richard

I loved the "Grail Bird" and appreciated that they were able to write the book, keep it under wraps, and give us all something to read in this exciting time once they went public with the discovery. You can also order a cool shirt at this site below with the Ivory-Billed on the back and Cornell Lab or Ornithology on the front.

http://www.sapsuckerwoods.com/

Stefan

Last edited:
stefanyoungs said:
I loved the "Grail Bird" and appreciated that they were able to write the book, keep it under wraps, and give us all something to read in this exciting time once they went public with the discovery. You can also order a cool shirt at this site below with the Ivory-Billed on the back and Cornell Lab or Ornithology on the front.

http://www.sapsuckerwoods.com/

Stefan

I'll definately be ordering the book now that I know that it does mention the recent discovery.

As for that cool t shirt..I had seen one that you could get upon donating 100.00 to the Cornell Lab or something similar. Believe me, if I had $100.00 to spare I would...but I'd love to be able to just order that shirt. I'll look at that site, thanks!

The book is a quick read, very entertaining, and remarkably up-to-date (March 2005). It's also disturbing. There's a -- how should I phrase it so I don't start an off-topic flame thread? -- a strong, anti-science element in the USA, and within or adjacent to that "element," there is also a substantial number of people who, though somewhat accepting of science (particularly science that leads to high-tech weapons for the military), are skeptical of scientists' motives and objectivity. In their view, scientists stupidly ignore or -- worse -- "cover up" reports of UFOs, alien abductions, life on Mars, cold fusion, free energy from hydrogen peroxide, undescribed monsters in Loch Ness, etc. In other forums I have defended scientists against some of these claims (and another I'll not discuss here; I don't want to divert the thread). In my view, over the long term, ideas with proper evidence will prevail, and ideas without proper evidence will die. That's the way it's supposed to work, anyway. But an anti-science type reading The Grail Bird will have their skepticism about scientists confirmed. We read about a refusal at the highest levels of science to entertain anything contrary to the prevailing orthodoxy (i.e., that the Ivory-bill is extinct), and even the most distinguished scientists were not immune to having their reputations smeared by giving some credence to sightings and even photographs of Ivory-bills. It sounds like something out of the Stalinist USSR or, closer to home, the McCarthy Era in the US.

In addition, I tend to agree with Mary Scott's views, to the extent that they are presented accurately in the book. I see little good coming from the announcement of the rediscovery of the Ivory-bill. The only "good" comes from the protection of additional acres of bottomland forest. If that's all that happens, then perhaps the birds have a chance. But inevitably, the rediscovery will also bring hordes of twitchers and -- worse -- an activist viewpoint that demands that we "do something" to help the Ivory-bill recover. The suggestion that birds be captured for breeding falls into this category. The Ivory-billed Woodpecker may be surviving by the slimest of threads, but that slim thread is a direct and fortuitous byproduct of the official disdain that prevailed over the last 60 years. I'm saying that the birds' prospect of survival would be better if it had continued to be "undiscovered" -- the various sightings relegated to UFO and bigfoot lunacy -- than in the new world where conservationists and public officials will insist that "something be done." It's very depressing.

Last edited:
I did not read the book.

If Mary Scott really scolded the scientists, she should admit now that she was partly wrong. There are many conservation groups not dominated by scientists, which might support her. Few birders want to visit the swampy forests - so there is nothing like flood of twitchers. And scientists in Cornell lab and elsewhere don't support catching ivorybills for breeding.

These words sound similar to what I heard previously from some other passionate conservationists. I think it is like a dream vision of wild nature that exists away from man.

My view is sadder and perhaps more cynical. Such wild world no longer exists. People will get anywhere to get timber, minerals etc. If we leave nature alone and unprotected, this nature will not stay untouched - other people will quickly destroy it.

Mary Scott didn't "scold" any scientists. She withheld her own apparently valid sighting for several weeks for fear of the consequences to the birds. I think her fears are justified. Earlier reports by others at other times were dismissed by experts as invalid.

Having seen Ivory Bills and spoken directly with several other who have.... IF mary scott saw one at the distance she claimed... then she missed 2 glaring things that "stick out" when an IBWO is encounterd that close......

choupique1 said:
Having seen Ivory Bills and spoken directly with several other who have.... IF mary scott saw one at the distance she claimed... then she missed 2 glaring things that "stick out" when an IBWO is encounterd that close......

OK . . . I've read this several times on this forum, now I have a question that I'd like answered.

Just WHAT are these 2 glaring things that 'stick out'???

Please answer before I use up all of my nine lives 'dying to know'.

TimeShadowed

Thanks for the Private Message choupique1. I kinda figured out your #1, but had no clue as to the rest of what you said. Now I can sleep better without trying to figure it out!

TimeShadowed

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back