• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (2 Viewers)

I had another Lifer 2 weeks ago. I spent a week in Umbria, Italy - with non-birders, and it rained almost non-stop. I saw plenty of Collared Doves, Hooded Crows and Jackdaws, Great Tits and Blackbirds and even a pair of Marsh Harriers - all of which I had seen many times before in the U.K. I sort of made up for the lousy birding with good friends, good food and wine, and massive exposure to mediaeval art and architecture. But unexpectedly, as I stood in the pouring rain outside the Cathedral in Todi, listening to a friend expounding the virtues of "swallow-tailed crenellations" on the tower, I noticed a lone bird flitting in the trees along the side - and it was something I have been trying to find in the U.K. for years - a Firecrest - another attractive Lifer.

Richard

Steve Jones said:
Just had 3 new birds in 3 weekends, and all local -
Leach's Petrel at Fleetwood
Yellow-Browed Warbler at Newton (trough of bowland)
Lesser Scaup at Myerscough Quarry (very local).

It can't last.

Well done Steve two "tarts ticks" and a connoisseurs bird.

Thanks Karl for the web site. I appreciate finally figuring out what was so special about this bird. I've seen pictures and knew it was beautiful but didn't realize why everyone wrote about them so much. So yours was basically lost and trying to find it's way to Africa??

Hi BH, yes i guess it was maybe blown a little off course by last weeks easterly winds, but it now hasnt been reported (not on Birdguides anyway) for the past 2 days perhaps it's on its way south again

It really was, luckily, a cracking view of a super little bird, right in the middle of a horse paddock.

Attachments

• Hoopoe 1.jpg
    Hoopoe 1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 318
  • Hoopoe 021.jpg
    Hoopoe 021.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 257
Karl J said:
Hi BH, yes i guess it was maybe blown a little off course by last weeks easterly winds, but it now hasnt been reported (not on Birdguides anyway) for the past 2 days perhaps it's on its way south again

It really was, luckily, a cracking view of a super little bird, right in the middle of a horse paddock.

If I found a lifer in my horse's paddock, I would be doing cart-wheels. All that seems to hang out there are the flock of English Sparrows. There is a common snipe on the pond, however which was a lifer for me this year. Great find! :hi:

Today-Black-throated Green Warbler. I was actually dissapointed that a field I wanted to check out was unreachable due to flooding.I caught this lifer on the way back to my truck on a wooded path in Haddam CT.

Leaches storm Petrel - fly past last month somewhere on the Northumberland coastline.

Yellow-browed Warbler - again last month somewhere on the Northumberland coastline.

total of approx 7-8 lifers this year.

Well choughed.

black necked grebe
ring necked duck
gadwall
black tailed godwit
have been my newest lifers, nothing very special but they have filled in a few gaps in my list!

can't remember weather lesser and greater white fronted geese were this year or last year...

There is a Wooly Necked Stork (Ciconia episcopus) right outside the window as I am writing this! Quite exciting!

Black-throated Diver was a new bird for me this weekend on the Vltava River north of Prague.

This is the most frequently seen diver species in the Czech Republic.

-Adam

Last Lifer

OK Larry, hows things?
Hears one for you, my last lifer was a Blackpoll Warbler! on the isles of scilly in the uk. Not very exciting for you no doubt but an absolute belter for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
martin uk442

I had four interesting sparrows last saturday. One I claim to have seen in the spring, which I had forgotten but marked down. Included LeConte's Sparrow. These 4 were at Riverlands by Alton. You get all kinds of sparrows in the reserves along the river, that you do not see elsewhere. The river is a migratory flyway.

Twas a Paddyfield warbler,but have seen Manchurian reed warbler and Black- browed reed warbler have which have previously been treated as races of PW.

Last UK lifer was Lesser Yellowlegs in Jan 2005 in Norfolk.

Last world lifer was Crested Caracara in Florida near Immokalee in September. Now that would be worth going to Norfolk to see!!

Matthew

From a trip to Georgia, USA last month - Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Scarlet Tanager, Canada Warbler, and Blue-winged Warbler.
I'm still short of 1400 worldwide, but I'm on holiday next month in Colombia, so I may pick up more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back