• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handbook of the birds of the world volume 11 (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I believe I'm right in saying that Vol 10 was published 2 or 3 months ago.

I haven't yet got hold of this, but I do have Vols 1-9, and I seem to recall being sent info that suggested that the aim would be to publish each susequent volume (I think the latest estimate is 16) every 18 months or so... so maybe Feb 2007?

Haven't got any of these yet...just waiting for them to be reduced to £14.99 :-O

And if you think thats funny, I was one of the mugs who paid full price for every edition of BWP plus concise...as many of us did!

John

Papuan birder said:
Have someone any Idea when this volume will be published?

Here is the info gleaned from the HBW web site:

Volume 11 (Due in 2006)
Old World Warblers
Gnatcatchers
Old World Flycatchers
Wattle-eyes
Fantails
Monarch-flycatchers

Volume 12 (Due in 2007)
Australasian Robins
Whistlers
Rockfowl
Babblers
Pseudo-babblers
Parrotbills
Logrunner and Chowcilla
Whipbirds and Quail-thrushes
Long-tailed Tits
Fairywrens
Thornbills
Australian Chats
Sitellas
Australasian Treecreepers
Tits and Chickadees

Volume 13 (Due in 2008)
Nuthatches
Wallcreeper
Treecreepers
Philippine Creepers
Penduline Tits
Painted Berrypeckers
Berrypeckers and Longbills
Sunbirds
Flowerpeckers
Pardalotes
White-eyes
Sugarbirds
Honeyeaters
Old World Orioles
True Shrikes

Volume 14 (Due in 2009)
Bushshrikes
Helmetshrikes
Vangas
Drongos
Wattlebirds
Mud-builders
White-winged Chough and Apostlebird
Woodswallows
Bornean Bristlehead
Butcherbirds
Birds-of-paradise
Bowerbirds
Crows
Starlings
Old World Sparows

Volume 15 (Due in 2010)
Weavers
Waxbills
Indigobirds
Vireos
Finches
Hawaiian Honeycreepers
New World Warblers

Volume 16 (Due in 2011)
Cardinals and allies
Tanagers
Buntings and allies
New World Blackbirds

Vol 10 came out in Sept. I did a short review here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=42756

For those of you who are really waiting for price reductions, I hope it happens while you can still enjoy the books. At least I don't expect it to happen till after the set is complete. I agree, though, about the frustration one has when an expensive volume is later thrown at you for almost nothing. It has happened to me too.

I know that it will be released 2006, as they has released one book every year lately, hopefully before summer 2006, this year I ordered number 10 in June and didnt get the book until mid October.

Papuan birder said:
I know that it will be released 2006, as they has released one book every year lately, hopefully before summer 2006, this year I ordered number 10 in June and didnt get the book until mid October.

The release date for vol 10 was September, if I remember correctly. And with some delays, I think you did quite well getting it in October. I had ordered mine even earlier, I believe. I am pretty sure your expectations for vol 11 are very unrealistic. Normally, there is now about 1 volume per year (as compared to one every 18 months or so earlier). So the next volume is likely to be announced in summer, but with a release date in fall. Unless they really do try to speed things up even more. But then, the whole release schedule for the following volumes would have to be adjusted as well. And so far, it is one volume per year, still.

In fact, I'd rather wait a bit longer if that is what it takes to maintain the superb quality of the present volumes.

Last edited:
Handbook of the Birds of the World Volume 11

I hope I'm not violating the rules of the forum, because I am associated with a birding bookstore, but I thought I could clear up some questions.
The Handbook of the Birds of the World is published every 12 months. It usually goes to press in August and is ready for shipping in September. The publisher used to have an 18-month schedule, but has successfully stepped up production. Buteo Books is the US distributor and also offers the pre-pub offer through the publication date. Barring any printing errors or other problems which sometimes strike, Volume 11 is scheduled to be on time, and available in late September this year.
If anyone ever has any questions about publications, I'm happy to help.
Jamie

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back