• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P-4; good match for Nikon Fieldscope 82ED(angled)? (1 Viewer)

Steve Park

Nikon Coolpix P4(8MP, 2.5"); good match for Nikon Fieldscope 82ED(angled)?

Hello all,

Are there any users of this Nikon 82ED-A/Nikon P-4, who can advice me on digiscoping with?

The reason? I have a very good offer on this Nikon P-4, with it's dedicated adapter for the scope.

I tried to serach this forum to find out if Nikon P-4(it's rather old P&S w/8.1MP, 2,.5" LCD) is good match for my new toy, Nikon Fieldscope 82ED-A.
I just can't find any thread about this camera at all, maybe it's just too old(released in 2006) camera? Maybe, the camera is not good enough(small LCD, low MP)?

I'll appreciate if anyone can direct me to the thread or advice/comment on this setup. :t:

Steve

Last edited:
Steve
I use the Nikon Coolpix P4 kit for a few years. I was very acceptable, but I was never 100% satisfied and got a second hand coolpix 8400 the best camera by far and now use a Panasonic G1. on the Nikon 82Ed-A
ATB
Tom

Thanks for your quick reply, Tom.
What was the main reason you're not 100% satisfied with the P-4, LCD size or low-res? Then, what kind of adapter do you use to attach CP 8400 to the scope? I know Nikon has universal adapter, but it is just too expensive @ $299.95(B&H price). I am trying to avoid that expensive way...I can get the P-4 with adapter(FSB-4) for much less than that!

With your panny G-1, do you get much better IQ? Are you 100% satisfied with the results?
Can you describe the setup for me?

Thanks.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve
Yes the LCD screen was poor compared to the 8400 and the G1 both have tilt and twist LCD. Also 8400/G1 have view finders very important in bright conditions. My main piece of adapter gear is the FSA-3. I have 3 of them for my two cameras and for the camcorder. I just need to find the right step ring and tube adapter to match.

G1 http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=234467&d=1261855055

Attachments

• DSCN1837 a.jpg
    DSCN1837 a.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Sony 12 and nikon8400.jpg
    Sony 12 and nikon8400.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 140
  • img043.jpg
    img043.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 172
  • sony 12 details.JPG
    sony 12 details.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 136
Wow, those are some great setup, Tom!

One thing, I don't see a remote shutter release cable there, you're not using a shutter release cable? Actually it was my biggest concern, as I am not really a handy guy, not knowing how to make one. Any advice here, please.

For the Sony camcorder I use the infrared remote, the 8400 I use the 3 second timer delay the infrared remote and the shutter release. The G1 I use the wired remote.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back