• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Swift Audubon 820ED waterproof? (1 Viewer)

BobinKy

I have had a pair of Swift Audubon 820 ED binoculars for two years now. I like them. However, I have this idea in my head that they are not really waterproof, and I have never taken them out on days when rain threatens.

What do some of you think--are the Audubons really waterproof?

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

I don't think you should be concerned about taking them out in the rain, especially if you aren't continually raking the focus in and out and looking skyward such that water makes its way under the overhang around the ocular assembly (thus putting the o-rings or labyrinth seal to the test). That said, I don't consider any bino that focuses with moving (or unprotected behind a sealing window glass) oculars or objectives to be truly waterproof in the same way that a sealed internally-focusing bino can be.

--AP

I agree with Alex.

Just to go geeky for a sec. Waterproof is a vague term so advertisers love it ;) So it is defined by the IEC 529 Second edition 1989 - 11 ... sorta ...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/water-proof.html

JIS Grades of water resistance

IEC 529 Second edition 1989 - 11

Prepared by IEC Technical committee No. 70: Degrees of Protection by enclosures

Dust ingress protection

Grade 4
Protected against solid foreign objects 1,0 mm diameter and greater.

Grade 5
Dust protected. Ingress of duct is not totally prevented, but dust shall not penetrate in a quantity to interfere with satisfactory operation of the apparatus or to impair safety.

Grade 6
Dust tight. No ingress of dust.

Degrees of protection against ingress of water indicated by the second characteristic numeral.

Grade 0
Non-protected

Grade 1
Protected against vertically falling water drops.
Vertically falling drops shall have no harmful effects.

Grade 2
Protected against vertically falling water drops when enclosure is tilted up to 15 degrees.
Vertically falling drops shall have no harmful effects when the enclosure is tilted at any angle up to 15 degrees on either side of the vertical.

Grade 3
Protected against spraying water.
Water sprayed at an angle up to 60 degrees on either side of vertical shall have no harmful effects.

Grade 4
Protected against splashing water.
Water splashed against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Test conditions for Grade 4
The test is made using one of the two test devices described in figure 4 and in Figure 5 in accordance with the relevant product standard.
a) Conditions when using the test device as in figure 4 (oscillating tube):
The oscillating tube has spray holes over the whole 180 degrees of the semi circle. The total flow rate is adjusted as specified in Table IX and is measured with a flow meter.
The tube is caused to oscillate through an angle of almost 360 degrees, 180 degrees on either side of the vertical, the time for one complete oscillation (2x360 degrees) being about 12s.
The duration of the test is 10 min.
If not specified in the relevant product standard, the support for the enclosure under test is perforated so as to avoid acting as a baffle and the enclosure is sprayed from every direction by oscillating the tube to the limit of its travel in each direction.

Grade 5
Protected against water jets.
Water projected in jets against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Test conditions for Grade 5:
The test is made by spraying the enclosure from all practicable directions with a stream of water from a standard test nozzle as shown in figure 6.
The conditions to be observed are as follows:
Internal diameter of the nozzle: 6.3mm.
Delivery rate: 12.5 l/min +/- 5 %
Water pressure: to be adjusted to achieve the specified delivery rate.
Core of the substantial stream: circle of approximately 40mm in diameter at 2.5m distance from the nozzle.
Test duration per square metre of enclosure surface area likely to be sprayed: 1 min.
Minimum test duration: 3 min.
Distance from nozzle to enclosure surface: between 2.5m and 3m.

Summary of test conditions for Grade 5:
Test means: Water jet hose nozzle Figure 6. Nozzle 6.3mm diameter, distance 2.5m to 3m.
Water flow rate: 12.5 litres per minute +/- 5%.
Duration of test: 1 min/m2 at least 3 min.

Grade 6
Protected against powerful water jets.
Water projected in powerful jets against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Test conditions for Grade 6:
The test is made by spraying the enclosure from all practicable directions with a stream of water from a standard test nozzle as shown in figure 6.
The conditions to be observed are as follows:
Internal diameter of the nozzle: 12.5mm.
Delivery rate: 100 l/min +/- 5 %
Water pressure: to be adjusted to achieve the specified delivery rate.
Core of the substantial stream: circle of approximately 120mm in diameter at 2.5m distance from the nozzle.
Test duration per square metre of enclosure surface area likely to be sprayed: 1 min.
Minimum test duration: 3 min.
Distance from nozzle to enclosure surface: between 2.5m and 3m.

Summary of test conditions for Grade 6:
Test means: Water jet hose nozzle Figure 6. Nozzle 12.5mm diameter, distance 2.5m to 3m.
Water flow rate: 100 litres per minute +/- 5%.
Duration of test: 1 min/m2 at least 3 min.

Grade 7
Protected against the effects of temporary immersion in water.
Ingress of water in quantities causing harmful effects shall not be possible when the enclosure is temporarily immersed in water under standardised conditions of pressure and time.

Test conditions for Grade 7: temporary immersion between 0.15m and 1m
The test is made by completely immersing the enclosure in water in its service position as specified by the manufacturer so that the following conditions are satisfied:

a) the lowest point of enclosures with a height less than 850mm is located 1000mm below the surface of the water;
b) the highest point of enclosures with a height equal to or greater than 850mm is located 150mm below the surface of the water;
c) the duration of the test is 30min;
d) the water temperature does not differ from that of the equipment by more than 5 degrees Kelvin. However, a modified requirement may be specified in the relevant product standard if the tests are to be made when the equipment is energised and/or its parts in motion.

Summary of test conditions for Grade 7:
Test means: Immersion tank. Water level on enclosure: 0.15m above top, 1m above bottom.
Water flow rate: not applicable.
Duration of test: 30 minutes.

Grade 8
Protected against the effects of continuous immersion in water.
Ingress of water in quantities causing harmful effects shall not be possible when the enclosure is continuously immersed in water under conditions which shall be agreed between manufacturer and user but which are more severe than for numeral 7.

Test conditions for Grade 8: continuous immersion subject to agreement
Unless there is a relevant product standard, the test conditions are subject to agreement between manufacturer and user, but they shall be more severe than those prescribed in 14.2.7 and they shall take account of the condition that the enclosure will be continuously immersed in actual use.

Summary of test conditions for Grade 8:
Test means: Immersion tank. Water level: by agreement.
Water flow rate: not applicable.
Duration of test: by agreement.

Waterproof for bins is usually taken to be the JIS 6 requirement: watertight against immersion to 1m depth

As they say "Waterproof" for bins is usually JIS 6: immersion to 1m for (usually) 5 minutes with no water ingress. Most roofs that are waterproof are to this spec (though some aren't ... Pentax HS is only JIS 4).

"Water Resistant" i.e. JIS 4 resistant to water splashes (e.g. rain) is generally taken as rainproof and most porros with sealed sliding eyepieces are definitely "rainproof".

So what does it mean? In most practical use with a little care even if you are caught out in heavy rain a porro like the 820ED will be at least rainproof. But you don't get to drop it in a river: depending upon how well greased the seals are it may or may not leak (and later fog).

Of course as Swift do say it is "Waterproof, Fogproof and Shock Proof" but I don't see where they say "to what". But as they're built in Japan you would hope they're actually JIS6. Of course if you do get water in the bin then you would argue that they should dry and reseal them under their 25 year warranty. And I suspect they would do it. Of course this would be no consolation say in a jungle on a once in a lifetime trip with fogging bins (but you did bring a spare pair.

Zeiss when through the same thing with their "Classic/BGAT" 40mm ABK roof with sliding eyepieces. They were intinially "waterproof" but later became "water resistant" without any change in design! In both cases they should be good for rain!

I suspect that most of us with porros "baby" them way too much. It never used to happen in the old days (but every once in a while you'd loose a bird to "fog") ;)

Alexis & Kevin--

Thank you for your comments. What I understand, then, is my 820ED is rainproof, but not submersible.

Thank you.

Thank you for your comments. What I understand, then, is my 820ED is rainproof, but not submersible.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the 820ED were submersible, at least when new with fresh o-rings or whatever seals it employs, in comparable fashion to the Zeiss Classics that Kevin mentioned. I remember the history of the waterproofing claimed for the Classics differently than he does. Originally, there was no explicit claim of waterproofing or water resistance but numerous independent bino reviewers found the Classics to be water and fog proof (e.g. One test, employed by the Cornell group I think, was for the binos to spend the night submerged in a bucket of water, then be put in a freezer, then be thawed and checked for fogging). The Leitz Trinovids also passed tests such as this even though they were not advertised as being waterproof. Later, when the Zeiss Classics were in competition with the Leica Ultra/Trinovids and waterproof Swarovski SLCs, Zeiss began to warranty them as waterproof. Maybe later they started to call them water resistant but I don't remember that, and as far as I know, water entry into the Classics is handled as a warranty repair.

--AP

I wouldn't put them underwater...I ask Nick,the Swift repairman,about it,and he replied that "they are waterproof,as long as they stay away from Water"..My pair was in for service at the time,and he later told me that he had tightened the seals,as much as possible,and that the binocular Should be reasonably waterproof.Rain definitely not going to be a problem,but water coming with pressure under the eyepiece,most likely will make its way inside..mine never fogged,even using them in the Pacific northwest rainy and Moisture saturated climate,and Not much dust (if any)made it inside after few years of constant use....
I shall get a pair of the ED sometime,..Everyone should!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back