• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Sparrow ID - UK (1 Viewer)

NKR2017

I've noticed one or two (of what I assume to be) female house sparrows with an orange/creamy coloured plumage in our back garden.

See attached photo (sparrow on left).

Is this natural variation?

Attachments

• IMG_5312a.jpg
    IMG_5312a.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 148
Looks leucistic (which is not so much a variation but an aberration). Also looks young, a fledgling maybe?

Both fledgelings - yellow gape at the corner of the bill.

Agree the left bird is yellower than normal (xanthochroism, not leucism).

Both fledgelings - yellow gape at the corner of the bill.

Agree the left bird is yellower than normal (xanthochroism, not leucism).

Yes, both fledglings as you say—didn’t look at the normal sparrow’s bill before.

Xanthochroism you think and not just the kind of overall fading characteristic of some types of “leucism” (i. e., in the loose way that the term is used by birders)?

Last edited:
Thanks fugl, Nutcracker- this is really interesting information!

Last September, I saw another sparrow with similar colouration, including yellowy legs - see attachment (for comparison, I've included a shot of a more typical sparrow in a similar position).

Would the different colouring of the legs support the leucism/xanthochroism theory?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 91
Thanks fugl, Nutcracker- this is really interesting information!

Last September, I saw another sparrow with similar colouration, including yellowy legs - see attachment (for comparison, I've included a shot of a more typical sparrow in a similar position).

Would the different colouring of the legs support the leucism/xanthochroism theory?

Bird color aberrations is a complex and (very) controversial subject. This will take you well into the weeds—

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/08/...nin-reduction/

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back