• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (1 Viewer)

Hoopoe in progress...

Thanks all!

Second work in progress on this thread.

We spent a week on Portland, Dorset,England in early May.
Every day I was hoping a Hoopoe would show up for my partner. We were not graced with one.
We spent some time in Tout Quarries, a notorious spot for potential migrant Hoopoe, and a living sculpture park.
As my partner took quite a few photos here, I was able to sequester a decent background, on which to paint "the Hoopoe we never saw!!" (bit of a consolation prize for her...;))

Here then are 5 images of this piece in progress...

(A4. Canson paper. Designer's gouache and water-colour pencil.)

Not quite finished, but hope you enjoy it! B :)

http://www.portlandbirdobs.org.uk/latest_mar2010.htm

Scroll down. Her bird came early!

Attachments

• dudek.JPG
    dudek.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 42
  • dudek 2.JPG
    dudek 2.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 42
  • dudek 3.JPG
    dudek 3.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 35
  • dudek 4.JPG
    dudek 4.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 36
  • dudek 5.JPG
    dudek 5.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
quite simply stunning. I belive Nick already said this is where the cartoonist in you comes into bloom, wonderfully loose lines on the Hoopoe and a super background :t:

beautiful rendering in this, wondering if before you finish about adding a few touches of a warmer low chroma color to some of the mid ground rocks to help integrate the bird into the landscape, but maybe you just haven't gotten to that part yet.

Put these images on Windows Movie Maker, or whatever you use, and you can make an effective Hoopoe-Animation!

Put this to one side, so I don't overwork it yet. It will return...

Tim, best joke today! 3:);)
Been peppering Nick's thread with similar wisecracks (sorry Nick!)
Colleen, you are right...

Starting about 4 projects at the moment. Liam needs to be shown some cardboard box stuff.
And I've got a Spoonbill sketched and photographed from last Summer to catch up with...:cat:

In the meanwhile,am celebrating my partner having her Foxes bringing their two new cubs into the garden. Well any excuse really! B :)

A few bits n pieces from the past...

(thumbnails.)

A HazelHen that ran across a forest track in East Poland.
A Lesser-Spotted Eagle that spent much time on a small telegraph pole in North Poland.

(rough notebook sketches...)

Turtle Dove in Devon, England in the 90s. A rare sight nowadays...:-C

Snow Buntings, a decade apart, Somerset and Cornwall, UK.

Have a good weeknd peeps, wherever you are! B :)

Attachments

• HazelHen.JPG
    HazelHen.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 40
  • LSE.JPG
    LSE.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Turtle Doves Haldon.JPG
    Turtle Doves Haldon.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 43
  • SNOW BUNTS CEVEDON.JPG
    SNOW BUNTS CEVEDON.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 38
  • snow bunt cornwall  9.10.9.JPG
    snow bunt cornwall 9.10.9.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 35
wow lets see some foxes Phil.......snowbuntings and turtle doves are special....wonder why they are called turtle doves, do they suck in their heads or something?

wow lets see some foxes Phil.......snowbuntings and turtle doves are special....wonder why they are called turtle doves, do they suck in their heads or something?

Named after the song.

"TurTur...TurTur..."

Not the "tortoiseshell pattern" of the wings...B :)

PS Going over there today. See if I can capture these Foxlings?...

The hoopoe -animation all sounds very interesting Phil...! And by the way....i'm glad you posted those photo's of the area you were in,[whilst imagining a hoopoe], on my thread...and i was just thinking what an unusual background some of those 'rock-shots' would make for a hoopoe painting....:eek!:

All the best....:t:

wouldn't it be nice if my local hazelhens were as obliging as Polish ones. This one looks like it's positively smiling as it saunters along saying 'dzien dobry'. French ones just fly past with a scream of 'I fart on your grave' to disappear completely again. I really like the snow buntings - the attitude and face is captured perfectly.

wouldn't it be nice if my local hazelhens were as obliging as Polish ones. This one looks like it's positively smiling as it saunters along saying 'dzien dobry'. French ones just fly past with a scream of 'I fart on your grave' to disappear completely again.

Nick, please don't say things like that just as I'm taking my first gulp of coffee in the morning. It makes a real mess of the keyboard.

I love the buntings Phil!

Love the turn of phrase Nick. I would love to sit in on one of your English lessonsfor the French.
love the work Phil and the spuggy's were after greenfly in the lupins

many more pieces of Brilliance phil. and thankyou for taking some time on 'Cardboard art', I did do one on the back of a shreddies box yesterday but with footie on never found time to upload it!:-C

Hazelhen strutting his stuff is marvellous, and (just a suggestion) perhaps a cartoon version with a suitably hilarious caption might capture a bit more of that wonderful character!!;)o:Do:D No pressure though, I'm just grateful for cardboard demo's coming up at the moment!:t:

My, as well as masterly painting birds this lad also does landscapes! The Hoopoe is great, but my fave, as usual is the field work and the Snow Bunt is perfectly rendered. How many more of these wonderful 'chronicles' do you have, Phil?

Russ

Beautiful colours in the hoopoe Phil, all delicate and pastelly. My personal fave from the others is the bunts, possibly for the same reason!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back