• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremadura Fieldsketching Trip-monfragüe & La Serena ,april 2014 (1 Viewer)

spizaetos

Extremadura Fieldsketching Trip-Monfragüe & La Serena ,April 2014

I knew from the beginning, that this thread is gonna have a short life, but I decided to create this one and not to upload the pictures in my "New field studies" thread, because it contains solely fieldwork from my recent trip to Extremadura...
This has been my first ever visit to Extremadura, a magic place which fascinated me since I bought the ANF book from Extremadura project in 2000, a "must to visit" a place in my wish list..My trip started from the well known "Monfragüe national park" in the north, with its famous "Salto el gitano" rock formations, the hundreds of griffon vultures, black and egyptian vultures, as well the majestic spanish imperial eagle and the eagle owl..The best place to observe and watch them were the cliffs of Portilla del Tietar, the so-called back-door to National park from the east..Hadn`t luck with the weather because it was rainy and foggy , but I found shelter at lookout point at Portilla , keeping my sketchbook in safety from rain and wind..Many birdwatchers and photographers, from all over Europe came by and had many interestings discussions..I spend there almost five days and you can see the results attached...there are a couple of eagle owl studies, griffon vultures, and a landscape of the location..

Attachments

• Eagle-owl-nest--Monfragüe.jpg
    Eagle-owl-nest--Monfragüe.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 133
  • eagle-owl-Portilla.jpg
    eagle-owl-Portilla.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Griffon-vulture--Monfragüe.jpg
    Griffon-vulture--Monfragüe.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Portilla-del-Tietar.jpg
    Portilla-del-Tietar.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Griffon-vulture-nest.jpg
    Griffon-vulture-nest.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 124
I moved then to the south of Extremadura in La Serena in a completely different landscape type, with vast steppes, and fascinating birdlife...though I had to drive long distances every day to find the birds..Couldn`t be compared with the easy accessible hot spots of Monfragüe, but as you can see it was worth a try...this is the first portion with a small landscape, calandra lark, corn bunting, a lone griffon vulture and a male lesser kestrel...

Attachments

• calandra-lark-Serena.jpg
    calandra-lark-Serena.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 94
  • Corn-bunting-Serena.jpg
    Corn-bunting-Serena.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 107
  • La-Serena.jpg
    La-Serena.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Griffon-vulture-La-serena.jpg
    Griffon-vulture-La-serena.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Lesser-kestrel-serena.jpg
    Lesser-kestrel-serena.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 104
...and a second post with Little bustard, Little owl, a Montagu`s harrier, and Woodchat shrikes...

Attachments

• Little-bustard.jpg
    Little-bustard.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Little-owl-Serena.jpg
    Little-owl-Serena.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Montagu`s-harrier-male.jpg
    Montagu`s-harrier-male.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 102
  • woodchat-shrike-singing.jpg
    woodchat-shrike-singing.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 98
  • woodchat-shrike-singing-1.jpg
    woodchat-shrike-singing-1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 93
...and the rest with half-finished studies...except of the landscapes, every study has been
done using a spotting scope...

Attachments

• Eagle-owl-head.jpg
    Eagle-owl-head.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Montagu`s-harrier-female.jpg
    Montagu`s-harrier-female.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Montagu`s-harrier-head.jpg
    Montagu`s-harrier-head.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 94
  • woodchat-shrike-head.jpg
    woodchat-shrike-head.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 86
Both watercolors and ink sketches are wonderful. So glad you got to go and enjoy and then that you shared the results with us.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back