Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sony RX10 1V the new boy.

Old Tuesday 9th January 2018, 19:20   #76
Neil G.

500mm
F5.6
Iso 640.
1/250 sec
I was a bit further away than 12ft.......that is why the picture has been heavily cropped down to 4.4mp.
I'm certainly more impressed with the sony though now ive seen the full size photo........these type cameras are definately going to be the future i think......but not just yet.

Last edited by Neil G. : Tuesday 9th January 2018 at 19:22.
Old Friday 12th January 2018, 16:35   #77
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Panamoz are advertising this at 1480 although, perhaps not surprisingly, they are out of stock. I've done some research on Panamoz and they appear to have a good reputation - obviously it is a 'grey' import - including from people who have used their 3 year warrenty. http://panamoz.com/digital-cameras/s...era-black.html

@SteveBabbs
Old Saturday 13th January 2018, 11:29   #78
Steve Gantlett

I've bought two or three cameras from Panamoz in the past. Absolutely fine and good service.
Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 17:41   #79
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
In any case, I've ordered the Sony and will report back in a week or two once I have started to play with it and have formed some rudimentary opinions.
I am dying to know your first impressions.

@SteveBabbs
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 01:14   #80
pbjosh

Hi Steve,

I haven't gotten enough time to really play with it. My very rough, very initial impressions are this:

- The menu system is a big learning curve and while better than Sony used to be, is still really obtuse and has a lot of repetition of items and themes such that you're never sure what does what / affects what. Sony could take a lesson from Canon, Nikon, or Panasonic here.

- Programming settings and recalling them is a far cry from a professional DSLR body. It requires menu diving and multiple clicks and there is menu lag. As well, choosing AF-S vs AF-C focus modes (single shot or tracking) is via a physical switch so that can't be recalled with other stored settings. So switching between BiF and perched is a few clicks into a menu, a bit of menu lag, and a separate dial on the front of the camera.

- It's significantly more difficult to find birds at 600mm with EVF than optical, but I want to see how much better I can get at this.

- Image quality is about what I'd expect for a 1" sensor - it's a big step down from APS-C but a big step up from 1/2.3"

- It is a LOT smaller and lighter and easier to handle than a DSLR + 100-400

- Have not been able to effectively test the focus tracking yet. Need more time but it'll be next week sometime.

I'll start a new post with more thoughts and comments when I've had a better chance to play with it.

Cheers!
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 05:34   #81
Neil G.

That is a very honest initial assesment of the camera.
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 08:29   #82
Steve Gantlett

Very many thanks, pbjosh. This is the sort of information I have been waiting for. Looking forward to your further thoughts as soon as you can.
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 15:13   #83
Zackiedawg

Josh,
You may need to play around more to get it all set up, but there are a few things that might address your issues.

Note that the RX10IV did add a My Menu custom page in the main menu (the *star* icon)...that will allow you to save 2 pages of your most used menu items, which will greatly simplify having to dig through many pages of menus. You also have the Fn menu that can save 12 control settings for quick access too - between those two, you should be able to save just about anything you'd need to access without having to deep-menu dive.

On recalling custom settings - note that the camera has 2 levels of memory banks set up - the 3 'MR' positions plus 4 more 'M' positions. The 'M' positions are all stored on the card, and are not as easy to access, but the 3 MR banks are stored on the camera...stick to using those if you switch cards. And there's one easy way to set up access to the MR setting without having to menu dive - you can assign one of your MR banks to a custom recall button. If you want a still bird/BIF switchability, you can set up the camera to operate in 'still' mode, and assign one of your full MR banks set up for BIF to a custom button. When needing to quickly shoot a BIF, just press and hold that button, and immediately all of your settings are overridden and you're in BIF mode - release the button and you're back to regular still bird mode.
My understanding was that you actually CAN store AF mode settings to the MR banks for custom recall - if you set the camera to AF-C on the dial when storing the MR settings, and then when assigning the custom hold recall button, you can turn the switch to AF-S again, and when pressing that custom recall hold button, it will switch to AF-C. I don't have the camera in hand, but it should work that way from what others have told me.

Hope that helps.

Zackiedawg's Photography Gallery
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 15:39   #84
poledark

All seems a bit daunting, is it possible to use in full auto mode and get good shots of BIF or stationary birds without having to fiddle about with the controls. I am a "walkabout" photographer and want to be up for getting a good shot of anything and everything I come across without making adjusments and missing the moment.

My P900 does that for me at the moment,

Den
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 15:58   #85
Zackiedawg

I would think it should be fine for 'auto' use - the AF does even have an AF-A setting, which automatically switches between AF-S or AF-C as it thinks necessary. I'm sure it won't be perfect for BIFs, but no camera in full auto will always get it right...this cam should be as good as any and better than most P&S due to the very fast OSPDAF.

Zackiedawg's Photography Gallery
Old Friday 19th January 2018, 17:12   #86
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Hi Steve,

As well, choosing AF-S vs AF-C focus modes (single shot or tracking)
Many thanks for your inital thoughts. Are these the equivalent of one shot vs sevo in Canon? In recent years I have always kep my Canon on servo, whatever I am photographing.

@SteveBabbs
Old Monday 22nd January 2018, 17:22   #87
lobas

Quote:
Originally Posted by poledark View Post
All seems a bit daunting, is it possible to use in full auto mode and get good shots of BIF or stationary birds without having to fiddle about with the controls. I am a "walkabout" photographer and want to be up for getting a good shot of anything and everything I come across without making adjusments and missing the moment.

My P900 does that for me at the moment,

Den
Hi all I have just dived in and bought this camera, from E-infinity for 1339, received in five working days. Straight out of the box and shooting in AV results look impressive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Med Gull4.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	652061  Click image for larger version

Name:	Chiffchaff.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	652062  

http://climpingbirds.blogspot.co.uk
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2018, 12:55   #88
Steve Gantlett

They look pretty good, Lobas, thank you. Have you been a DSLR man before? The new source and lower price is interesting too!
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2018, 17:44   #89
lobas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gantlett View Post
They look pretty good, Lobas, thank you. Have you been a DSLR man before? The new source and lower price is interesting too!
Hi Steve

Have been using a Canon 5d mk3 with a 300m mk2 canon lens for the last four years and seriously thinking of selling all my kit.

These pics are just jpegs

http://climpingbirds.blogspot.co.uk/

Old Tuesday 23rd January 2018, 18:21   #90
Steve Gantlett

Thanks. So even coming from DSLR you're still pretty impressed by the image quality of this camera for bird photography?
Old Wednesday 24th January 2018, 20:21   #91
lobas

Might end up liking this camera quite a lot, enclosed shot taken through the kitchen window about 12 feet away from the feeders, crop and resize as original wouldn't upload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starling.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	652232  

Old Thursday 1st February 2018, 19:54   #92
HermitIbis

At dpreview two former Nikon V3 + CX 70-300 users have explained why they now prefer the Sony rx10 iv for birds in flight. What I found particularly convincing were these terns in flight shot by Jack Scholl. - So I'll definitely watch this and other threads on the new Sony camera with great interest. Not jumping ships yet (a bit too expensive for me), but my original long-term plan to go from the V2 to the V3 may change.
Old Saturday 3rd February 2018, 19:38   #93
pbjosh

I need to keep playing with my camera more but per some comments here and on dpreview I have been trying different configurations / methods of shooting. It's a bit of a paradigm shift from the DSLR world of custom settings can set everything. Now I am using a perched bird setup (single shot, center point focus) and leaving the focus on AF-A (auto between AF-S and AF-C). Then I am using one of the custom buttons atop to momentarily recall BiF settings (burst shooting, zone focus) when necessary, and hoping the camera will switch to focus tracking. I need to test this more, particularly how well the camera does on intelligently tracking focus but it does seem a better way to set up the camera. For pelagics or other scenarios where it's basically all birds in flight you just move the camera over to the custom settings for BiF and ping the focus over to AF-C to eliminate doubt I guess.

Just haven't had enough time to really play with this yet.
Old Sunday 4th February 2018, 12:55   #94
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you have had more time to play. I know there has been a couple of books written on this camera to supplement the users guide. Any initial gut feeling about whether you are glad you made the purchase and if you feel your SLR gear is going to be staying at home a lot more/sold?

@SteveBabbs
Old Monday 5th February 2018, 22:13   #95
pbjosh

I still haven't gotten the chance to play with BiF or really low light stuff yet. However today I heard some small parakeets, sounded like Brotogeris, which is not an expected thing in southern California where I am visiting family. I tracked down a small flock of White-winged Parakeets and took some photos from probably 60m or so. The quality is plenty fine for me. Sure, a 7DII could have eked out a bit more but you're not going to get a cracking shot of a bird that size at that distance. I don't know if it's possible to reduce the size of the focusing reticle for center point focus - many/most of the photos were front focused a touch due to interfering foliage.

Can see the photos here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42517393
Old Tuesday 6th February 2018, 07:07   #96
nikonmike

Quote:
I still haven't gotten the chance to play with BiF or really low light stuff yet. However today I heard some small parakeets, sounded like Brotogeris, which is not an expected thing in southern California where I am visiting family. I tracked down a small flock of White-winged Parakeets and took some photos from probably 60m or so. The quality is plenty fine for me. Sure, a 7DII could have eked out a bit more but you're not going to get a cracking shot of a bird that size at that distance. I don't know if it's possible to reduce the size of the focusing reticle for center point focus - many/most of the photos were front focused a touch due to interfering foliage.

Can see the photos here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42517393
What PP program do you use as there is a margin for improvement on these which would give a better idea of the cameras capabilities,
I would like to try it on one but need your permission, if not then thats ok.

mike
Old Sunday 11th February 2018, 09:57   #97
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

I started a thread on dpreview about the Sony vs DSLR which might be of interest for anyone thinking of investing in this camera.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4253664

@SteveBabbs
Old Sunday 18th February 2018, 15:33   #98
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Well I've cracked. I was about to order from Panamoz but they're closed for the Chinese new year. I'll be ordering in two days though.

@SteveBabbs
Old Sunday 18th February 2018, 15:50   #99
Steve Gantlett

I've cracked too and ordered one from E-infinity this time - even 'cheaper'.
Old Sunday 18th February 2018, 17:03   #100
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gantlett View Post
I've cracked too and ordered one from E-infinity this time - even 'cheaper'.
Also closed for Chinese NY. It'll give me a few days to decide whether the 3 year warranty is worth 60.

@SteveBabbs
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: