• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ducks, 2x2 (1 Viewer)

pnicholls

I think these are ducks, please let me know what exactly they are if you can. Shot them yesterday with my new Olympus A-200 1.5x teleconverter. Ashame they were trying to get away from me, but the formation of 2 of one kind and two of another struck me. Hope you like it.

Attachments

• w2217.jpg
    w2217.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 132
Pete,

The front two are ducks, what are commonly (around here at least) refered to as Barnyard Ducks. They are common domesticated ducks. The second two are geese. If I remember, right, they are from the Egyptian Goose. Also domesticated.

Pnicholls,
Sorry, do not know my water birds so can not help you there, but I think you got a very nice picture of them.
I shall watch this tread as no doubt somebody will know their name
Paula

Duck, duck, goose....

Yeah, those front two look to be Pekin Ducks...that's the most popular duck here in the states....that's the breed used on those crazy "Aflak" commercials....

Those two in the back almost look like a pair of Brown Chinas....but I could be way off on that one...definitely domesticated.....

Nice shot, though!

two in the back look like the famous AYLESBURY ducks ,
AYLESBURY is 5 miles from my home in Buckinghamshire UK

Judging from the plumage of the 'front' pair, they are a cross between Swan Goose and Greylag Goose, or possibly pure Swan Goose. Any chance of a 'front-on' pic ? The others are indeed farmyard ducks, Aylesbury Ducks or 'Jemimas' (after Jemima Puddleduck). They are descended from Mallards - see the way the tail feathers curl up ? That illustrates perfectly the point I made in an earlier thread about Mallard tail feathers being a dead giveaway.

Tony

I learned something new Jemimna Puddleduck!!!I recall a story of that name...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back