• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2010 Red List decisions (1 Viewer)

A few of note including Black-winged Starling, White-bellied Cinclodes now Critical and Jankowski's Bunting now Endangered. I was surprised to Zapata Rail now Critical - is anyone aware of any new information on this species? I would have thought DD is more sensible at present?

cheers, a

The Zapata Rail discussion is here http://www.birdlifeforums.org/WebX/.2cba6b12/1. A guideline for using DD is that so little is known of a species and its threats that both LC and CR could be plausible categories. In the case of the rail, while it remains a poorly-known species there is certainly enough known of its range and threats to assume that it is threatened, and so the limited evidence available must then be used to place it in the most plausible threat category (in this case CR).

The Zapata Rail discussion is here http://www.birdlifeforums.org/WebX/.2cba6b12/1. A guideline for using DD is that so little is known of a species and its threats that both LC and CR could be plausible categories. In the case of the rail, while it remains a poorly-known species there is certainly enough known of its range and threats to assume that it is threatened, and so the limited evidence available must then be used to place it in the most plausible threat category (in this case CR).

Thanks for the link - if the absence of a photograph is any benchmark (e.g. Cebu Flowerpecker), I think Critical is probably warranted. Let's face it - it could have been extinct for years. No species of conservation concern is probably more widely strung (other than SBC!)

cheers, a

I am a little confused because it seems that they have missed the Tasman Booby which should be changed from EX to NR (as it is regarded as still existing subspecies of the Masked Booby since 2009). And the saddest change: The Alaotra Grebe is now considered as extinct.

Hale 2010. Bird to watch: Jankowski’s Bunting Emberiza jankowskii: the next species to become extinct in east Asia? BirdingASIA 13: 71-72.

Richard

Possible but unlikely; see the foreword of the same issue (but not sure this is available online) and also various threads on here. I suspect Baer's Pochard will be extinct (in the wild) before Jankowski's Bunting.

cheers, alan

Jankowski's Bunting

Possible but unlikely; see the foreword of the same issue (but not sure this is available online) and also various threads on here.
Yes, there's hope yet!

Just signed up for Jesper Hornskov's next Manchurian 'raid' (4-12 May 2011).

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back