• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Lenses (1 Viewer)

Thefatbirder

I have just got into DSLR photography using a D7000 which came with the 18mm-105mm lens. I am now looking for a bigger lens to get closer to the birds and am looking at this one : 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D VR AF IF-ED Zoom-Nikkor

Any comments or thoughts and indeed images taken using same would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Davey.

Last edited:
In its day the D version was a decent lens, sadly its been superseded now,I have owned it and I also had the new Sigma 100-400 the Sigma is sharper and quicker to focus.

Have you considered the Sigma 150-600 C version its a cracking birding lens.

I would second that 150-600 route - I'd be inclined to go with the Tamron G2 150-600.

The Nikon 200-500 f5.6 is also a very good lens though a little heavier again than the 150-600 (pro)consumer offerings ...

Chosun :gh:

Thanks guys, as always it comes down to budget! Any images using either of those lenses mentioned wouod be great.
Thanks in advance, Dave.

You could check my gallery for some examples of the Tammy (older ones are G1, and latter unposted ones which I'm happier with are G2). The D7200 is also a nice worthwhile upgrade which is quite reasonable 2nd hand.

i had the Nikon 200-500 but sold it and went with the Tamron 150-600 G2. The nikon weighed a bit more and was just bulkier and the hood came off too easily. The tammy went w/ me on a 2 week trip to Alaska and it was fantastic. Great compromise on size, weight, and speed. I can carry it easily on a BlackRapids shoulder sling (get the Sport).

I often use it with a monopod. The foot has two 1/4-20 holes, so I put the sling in the rear hold and my monopod with a small arca-swiss clamp fits in front of it. I can collapse the monopod and walk around like normal then flip it over and drop the leg pretty quickly or use it as a handle for BIF.

Many of the recent shots on my instagram are with the Tamron. https://www.instagram.com/marcmosko on a d500 or d850.

Dave, I do not know if you are still looking around but if it is down to budget the 80-400 is a decent lens to use. Out of interest the winner of the Bird Photographer of the Year award for Birds in Flight, Sienna Anderson, used that old lens for her Little Egret shot which Chris Packham described as breathtaking.

I would second that 150-600 route - I'd be inclined to go with the Tamron G2 150-600.

The Nikon 200-500 f5.6 is also a very good lens though a little heavier again than the 150-600 (pro)consumer offerings ...

I too consider the Nikon 200-500 the best reasonably inexpensive choice. Stellar IQ even at the 500 end, if you stop down half a stop to f 6.7 as it's a bit soft wide open past about 460 mm. I don't know about the sigma and I've never had it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back