• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please (1 Viewer)

Gallus

I got this photo on the Greek island of lesvos on grassy marshland near the Salt Pans it was approx 6"-7" long Red-throated Pipits and lesser short toed larks are known to frequent this area both of which I considered but I need help please

Attachments

• Red-throathed Pipit   DSCN8928.jpg
    Red-throathed Pipit DSCN8928.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 167
I'd never dare to question someone outside the US, but that bill sure doesn't say "pipit" to me. Some kind of bunting, finch or sparrow perhaps?

Hi 'Gallus',
I agree with Karwin,this is a Corn Bunting.The bill is clearly too thick for any pipit,and no lark has a head pattern quite like that.No other bunting would be quite as nondescript:the streaked breast,with a tendency for the streaks to coalesce in the centre as in Meadow Pipit,is typical of the species,as is that head pattern.
Harry

Tim Allwood said:
Yep Corn Bunt.

the coalescence of spots into a strange blob/patch in the middle of the chest is a good feature

Agreed on the ID, but, I've seen a few individuals (incl. singing) without that "chest spot", so not always useful. Having said that, it is certainly present in almost all...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back