• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lockdown birds sang to a different tune (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
As many said at the time, bird song did sound different during lockdown, according to a scientific study.

By analysing the calls of sparrows recorded over decades, scientists confirmed a change in the birds' vocal repertoire when the city fell quiet.

The birds upped the quality of their songs, as they called to defend their territory and entice a mate.

And while it might have seemed to human ears that bird song got louder, the sparrows actually sang more quietly.

These sweeter, softer songs carried further given the lack of background noise.
Dr Elizabeth Derryberry of the department of ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, US, has studied for years how noise pollution affects bird song.

"People were right that birds did sound different during the shutdown and they filled the soundscape that we basically abandoned," she told BBC News.

"As we moved out of the soundscape, the birds moved in and I think this tells us something about just how big an effect we have on birdsong and on communication, especially in cities."

Full article here

Very interesting Kits.
I will have to keep an ear out (although noise levels where I live haven't changed appreciably).
I have been enjoying the greater ease of getting a closer parking spot at the train station, and I have particularly been enjoying the bluer (and quieter) skies due to less pollution and air traffic ! :D

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back