• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Emperor (1 Viewer)

HH75

Ireland
Hi all,
Today at Lough Aderra(Co.Cork),there were very few
dragonflies at the western end,due mainly to the fact
that there was quite a fresh NE wind.Nevertheless,I
added Emerald Damselfly to my own personal site
list,and had a few Ruddy and Common Darters,also a
Four-spotted Chaser.
Due to the fact that it would presumably be more
sheltered,we(Iain Hill and I)went to the western
end(where the fishing boats are kept).We quickly found
another 2 Four-spotteds,and 2-3 Black-tailed
Skimmers,with a male Emperor seen patrolling a small
area.A brief view was then obtained of a dragonfly
flying away from us:due to what I perceived to be a
hint of sky blue,I thought that it must be a BT
Skimmer,despite the flight being a bit odd.As we
watched this insect,it turned around,revealing that it
was,in fact,a hawker-type on structure.
It then became apparent that the blue colouration was
confined to a band on the upper abdomen:my first
Lesser Emperor!
(I may take this opportunity to say that Iain had seen
what he considered to have been a Lesser Emperor at
Ballyvergan on Monday 11th,but despite the good views
he was reluctant to claim it as such without others
backing up the ID.I went there on 12th and only had a
male Emperor.After seeing this,he realised that the
insect he had seen on 11th WAS a Lesser)
We then waited until a few local observers
arrived,and Denis O'Sullivan was first on the
scene.Imagine our surprise when,as we watched the
Lesser,it was chased off by a similarly-sized
insect,which proved to be a second male Lesser
Emperor!
All those who went down saw at least one of the
Lessers,and we later obtained excellent views of
one(and an Emperor)at rest through a zoom eyepiece at
approx.50x!All features observed(brownish thorax,blue
limited to 2 segments of abdomen,dark on the rest of
the abdomen(dark olive-brown),green eyes),but
strangely there didn't seem to be a noticable yellow
band at the base of the blue patch.
2 male Emperors seen at Ballyvergan also.
Harry H

Great news Harry well done - is this a first for Ireland? I'm very lucky (and very spoilt) in that we have had Lesser Emperor on our local fishing lakes every year since 1998. I'm interested to read that you thought it looked like B.T. Skimmer because that's exactly how they appear - they fly very much like a skimmer rather than an Emperor. Unlike Black-tailed Skimmer however they never seen to stay still long enough to take a photo!!

Darrell

They do stop sometimes.
This is the one which we found at Marazion on Saturday. I must agree it reminded me of a BT Skimmer as well.

Mark

Attachments

• lesser emperor marazion 09-08-03 (1).jpg
    lesser emperor marazion 09-08-03 (1).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 298
Harry,
I've dug out a photo from last year. If you look at this and Marks photo you can see that the yellow line is very difficult to see when at rest, and almost impossible when flying

Darrell

Attachments

• lesser emperor 2.jpg
    lesser emperor 2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 277
Could I just add a slight note of caution to Harry's lesser emperor. I may be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs (what a really stupid expression that is!) but faced with a large dragonfly showing the characteristic pale blue band on the upper abdomen, you also have to consider vagrant emperor. I think the main difference is the green eyes of lesser as opposed to brown eyes of vagrant.

Aquila said:
Could I just add a slight note of caution to Harry's lesser emperor. I may be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs (what a really stupid expression that is!) but faced with a large dragonfly showing the characteristic pale blue band on the upper abdomen, you also have to consider vagrant emperor. I think the main difference is the green eyes of lesser as opposed to brown eyes of vagrant.

The abdomen and thorax are also a ore gingery brown on vagrant. Though this feature might be difficult to judge depending on the light. There seems to be a few lessers around at the moment including one as far north as Wakefield.

Mark

Hi all,
Darrell:no,it's not a first Irish record(seen annually since 2000),but a new one for me!
Aquila:if you read my description again,I mention the green eyes!
Harry H

Hi all,
Rather than start a new thread, may I resurrect this old one of mine to say that I had a male Lesser Emperor at the same site as those three years ago (Lough Aderra, Co. Cork) yesterday, which I found a little early for the species here? Mind you, there was a large arrival of migrant insects just over a week ago now, and perhaps it came in then, especially as I belatedly heard that two were seen at Lough Aderra last week at some stage.
Of course, they could also have emerged locally as well....
By the way, does anyone know if it's a little early to have fully mature red darters around? Had two yesterday, which stayed just that bit too far away for me to identify, but at least one of them looked as though it may just have been a Red-veined, a species that I have yet to see....
Regards,
Harry

Lesser Emperors reported over the last day or two from two or three areas over here and yes I think it's early for red darters - four years ago I stumbled across (I can't really say 'found') Leicestershire's first Red-veined Darter on June 19th (an over-mature female) and there were no Common Darters around at all, let alone mature adults.

Hi Adey,
You've confirmed my 'fears' (given that I couldn't ID them and the weather has now returned to the usual cool showery rubbish that we normally get) that I left a new species of dragonfly go: have also been told by Angus Tyner that it is quite early for mature darters over here. The two males looked very red, almost like Ruddy Darter, and I even thought that I might have seen red veins on the forewing on one of them, but I can't claim them on what I saw, especially as I find darters quite difficult at the best of times unless seen well.
Had a female darter too, very briefly, but again I got nothing on it. There was a light breeze yesterday that made most of the Odonata seen stay on the move, except for the multitudes of Black-tailed Skimmers. Saw a few Emperors too, about 6-7 (including an ovipositing female): ah, to think that the first record of that species for Ireland was as recently as 2000!
Regards,
Harry

Had a frustrating day today Harry. Bloody things don't keep still long enough!

Imagine the trouble I had trying to see Downy Emerald. Never managed it despite being told where to stand and see them.

Bagged a nice Golden-ringed Dragonfly picture though.

Hi Andrew,
Downy Emerald is confined to two sites in all of Ireland, as far as we know, and only the Killarney site is really accessible, but I dipped the one time that I went there years ago, and haven't had a chance to go back since.
Golden-ringed Dragonfly was only formally added to the Irish list last year, but I have only seen the species in SW Scotland, where I managed to pick one up in my hand on a cool day. Also saw Azure Hawker there, but, as I hadn't seen one before and the views were quite 'jizzy', I didn't count it myself, though I trust the two observers who had it with me with the ID.
That reminds me: I seldom recall the exact features on Odonata seen abroad, but I can distinctly remember seeing what I can only describe as looking like Banded Darters but with blackish bodies in Morocco. Must look those up.
Harry

Hey H

one of my few claims to fame was finding a Lesser Emperor at the Small Red-eyed Damselfly twitch four or five years ago. How many have their been now... i remember it was a real mega then...

Tim

Hi Timmeeh,
There have been a good few Lesser Emperors over here now, so there must have been even more in the UK at this stage. Never had Small Red-eyed Damselfly in Ireland, nor has there been a record of Red-eyed. To be honest, I find damselflies to be incredibly difficult, unless I can catch one (handled my first Irish Damselfly to clinch the ID, so not sure how many others were at the same site!): there are enough of nice tricky bird groups to think of without getting in to the complexities of female damselfly ID.... ;)
Had no idea that you were in to dragonflies, presume you see Norfolk Hawkers every year?
H

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Adey,
You've confirmed my 'fears' (given that I couldn't ID them and the weather has now returned to the usual cool showery rubbish that we normally get) that I left a new species of dragonfly go: have also been told by Angus Tyner that it is quite early for mature darters over here. The two males looked very red, almost like Ruddy Darter, and I even thought that I might have seen red veins on the forewing on one of them, but I can't claim them on what I saw, especially as I find darters quite difficult at the best of times unless seen well.

The 'very red' description sounds good as Common Darters are more of an orange-red and Ruddy Darters are even later in the year than Common. Carl Baggott and I also had a red darter of some sort 'speeding through' Ryton Wood, Warwickshire, last weekend which, given the multiple occurrences recently, could well have been a Red-veined

Adey Baker said:
The 'very red' description sounds good as Common Darters are more of an orange-red and Ruddy Darters are even later in the year than Common. Carl Baggott and I also had a red darter of some sort 'speeding through' Ryton Wood, Warwickshire, last weekend which, given the multiple occurrences recently, could well have been a Red-veined

I had at least 1 Red-veined Darter at Hatchet Pond in the new forest on June 10th, so it seems they're around.

Harry Hussey said:
but at least one of them looked as though it may just have been a Red-veined, a species that I have yet to see....
Further to this posting, I visited Lough Aderra again on Sunday last, and was rewarded with close views of a male Red-veined Darter...perseverance pays off sometimes!
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back