• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings and Introduction (1 Viewer)

RoadsterGirlie

Hello! My name is Tina and I am newly into birding. I have been into astronomy for most of my life and have been a long time member of cloudynights.com. I was in the market for a pair of good binocs to scan the night sky to complement my telescope and wanted them to be strictly hand held. Some nice folks on that forum advised I also check here for advice as well (see my thread in the Nikon sub-forum).

Ultimately I've chosen to go with the Nikon Prostaff 7S 10x42 and had the opportunity to test them at Cabelas. I can't wait to get them!

Anyways in the meantime, my husband gave me his 25+ year old Bushnells he still had from hunting when he was teenager. It's hard to find information on these since they are out of production, but they look exactly like these:

images (7).jpg

The only consistent info I can find is they weigh 19 oz, which seems about right. FOV ranges anywhere from 300 to 600 feet out of 1000 (lol), depending on what site I'm looking at, and they sell anywhere from $10 to $100. In spite of their age and that they appear to be entry level, they hold up very well. I took them down to the boardwalk overlooking a lagoon/swamp off of the Chattahoochee river yesterday not far from my house. I am probably not as knowledgeable about birds as some on this site (I hope to change this), but I saw a ton of stuff.

I saw a great blue heron putting on either a territorial or mating display. I also saw a white crane type looking momma bird with her babies that still had their 'fur'. Canadian Geese, a few cardinals, and a bunch of other small birds I couldn't identify. In spite of its age, the little Bushnell is definitely a keeper. It's not perfect, nor do I expect it to be, but the images are crisp with nice contrast where I need them and it's very light.

It's very nice to meet you all and I hope to stick around.

Last edited:
Hi Tina and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Tina and welcome to Birdforum. I have been following your thread concerning your choice of binos and I am confident you know what you want from binos. Of course as you gain more experience in using binos (which can give fascinating views of everything in nature not just distant birds) your requirements and preferences may change. This is not a sign of having made a mistake with your initial purchase, only a sign of you re-assessing and refining what you need and what you prefer. Have fun here.

Lee

Thank you both for the warm welcome! Right now I'm hemming and hawing back and forth between the 8x42 and the 10x42. I'm going back to Cabela's this weekend to try them out again.

Oh, and my husband told me the vintage binocs date back to whatever the date was for the first Grand Prix in Detroit. His dad worked for TRW, and those were a gift to all of their employees in honor of that race. The case also came with an AM/FM radio inside. In another compartment housed a wad of $5 bills, to be used for drinks at the event.

Trying to date these binocs, I looked it when the first Grand Prix was in Detroit, and the year was 1982. These things are 36 years old!

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back