• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars Poll - What format do you prefer ( 8x32, 10x50 etc. ) (1 Viewer)

What binocular format do you prefer

• 6x30

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 6x32

• 6x40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7x30

• 7x32

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 7x40

• 7x42

Votes: 29 8.6%
  • 7x43

• 7x50

• 8x21

• 8x25

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 8x30

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 8x32

Votes: 73 21.7%
  • 8x35

• 8x40

• 8x42

Votes: 85 25.2%
  • 8.5x42

Votes: 28 8.3%
  • 8x43

• 8x44

• 8x50

• 8x52

• 8x56

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 10x25

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 10x32

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 10x40

• 10x42

Votes: 47 13.9%
  • 10x43

• 10x44

• 10x50

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 10x52

• 10x56

• 12x50

• 12x56

• Leica Duovid

• Variable Magnification Binoculars

• 10.5x42

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alan and Stan,

I agree with both of you. The Cannon 12x36 IS III is a very under-appreciated binocular IMO. Mine is always handy around the house for quick use. The combination of reasonable size, weight and ergonomics, 12x, IS and excellent optics is a performance package well worth the current price and more. It is also a very good low light binocular. Particularly for anyone who has or intends to acquire a collection of several bins for various uses, the 12x36 IS (or similar) should be considered as a serious option.

Mike
I agree with all that in practice the 12×36IS shows a good level of detail.

For me though, the ergonomics were woeful - unusable. The weight and compactness were ok, but I just could not hold it as steady as other bins (10×50SV, 8×43ED3, 8×42MHG, 8×42SF being the steadiest inherent holds, roughly in order). I find it's larger 15×50 brother easier to hold steady, though rather heavier than desired, and the ergonomics are still a bit funky.

Perhaps that has something to do with it's lesser popularity? I can't speak to it's battery consumption or service life longevity. I could also wish for more Fov, and some L glass for better CA control - they are biggies. Apart from those and previous hold related things though - it's the business !

Chosun :gh:

Hi All,

Apart from preferring 2 pairs, this might sound weird but I actually like my 15x70 a lot!
Weight? It's about balance. I can walk around all day (on flat ground) carrying them with two fingers at the balance point. Holding up, a monopod means practically zero weight, steady-as, standing or sitting. Attached to an arca-swiss plate I can clip them onto the clamp on the monopod. But often I'd just rest the thing on top.

(When stargazing I leave them clipped onto a ball-head tripod.)
The other pair is 8x32. I like them both.
My binoculars and me, till death do us part. It's like that. :-D

Last edited:
Jeez, with exactly 200 votes even I can work this out - again ! (discrepancies, duplications, omissions, and issues raised so far not withstanding)

~ just over half are full sized (~42mm) -- 56%
~ 1/3 are mid sized (~32mm) -- 35%
~ 1 in 10 is still some sort of other weirdo ! :-O -- 9%

So a slight shift to full size bins - this may be accounting for some systemic statistical anomaly effects on the first 100.

In the full sized bins (113 total) nearly 3/5th of those were ~8x, a sixth were 7x, and nearly a quarter were 10x

In the mid sized bins (70 total if we include the [10] 30mm bins too) seven 8ths were 8x, a tenth were 10x, and there was a solitary 7x32.

So far the most popular bin (25%) in any format is the 8x32 ~ just.
Next most popular was the 8x42, followed by the 10x42 (the 8x42 just trailing, and the 10x42 half the numbers of 8x32's). Honourable mention goes to the 7x42, and 8.5x42 users - each around 2/5ths of the 8x32. To save cyberspace, it was my bin that was the lone 8x43 freak (though the objective actually measures out something like 41mm ! :) .. always knew I was a 1%er :cool: o:D

The breakdown of the majority (~9/10ths overall) of bin formats so far:-
Mag. . Objective Dia. (mm)
. . . . 30.32.40. .42. .43
7× . . . . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . 7x32 = 1%
7× . . . . . . . . . . . 20 . . . . . . 7x42 = 10% . . . total 7x = 10%
8× . . 10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8x30 = 5%
8× . . . . . 50 . . . . . . . . . . . 8x32 = 25%
8× . . . . . . . . 2 . . . . . . . . . 8x40 = 1%
8× . . . . . . . . . . . 45 . . . . . .8x42 = 23%
8× . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 . . .8x43 = 1%
8.5x . . . . . . . . . . 18 . . . . . 8.5x42 = 9% . . . total~8x = 63%
10x. . . . . 8 . . . . . . . . . . . . 10x32 = 4%
10× . . . . . . . .3 . . . . . . . . . 10x40 = 1%
10× . . . . . . . . . . 24 . . . . . .10x42 = 12% . . total 10x = 18%

Obviously BF is populated by a stack of little old ladies (and blokes built like cricket bats ! :) , while the too busy to vote real hairy-chested HunTers are carting their huge chunks of glass up and down mountainsides one handed with a deer carcass slung over one shoulder and kicking cougars, wolves, and grizzly bears out of the way with their army boots ! 3:) though a few more 42mm users - particularly 8x do seem to have come out of the closet ! :eek!:

Last edited:
Hi Chosun,

So far the most popular bin (25%) in any format is the 8x32 ~ just.
Next most popular was the 8x42

Thanks a lot for the great summary!

I'd add that if we broaden the categories slightly ...

- 8x42 category -> 7 to 8.5 x 42 category
- 8x32 category -> 8 x 30 to 32 category

... the ~8x42 category takes the lead over the 8x~31 category with 42% to 30% of the answers.

As you pointed out based on the example of your 8x43, the stated parameters are nominal anyhow and might vary on the individual design, so a bit of lumping together is probably well justified ;-)

Regards,

Henning

I still have my Ziess East 10x50 Jenoptems and still carry them when birding in ‘rough’ areas in case i have to bludgeon any locals who get too close;)

Laurie:t:

Really interesting thread. In my limited experience I've never wanted more magnification that 8x, but I don't have a tripod so that might be why. Would love to try some bigger objective lenses than 42mm and try them out in low light to see what I've been missing.

Would love to try some bigger objective lenses than 42mm and try them out in low light to see what I've been missing.

8.5x45 may be your logical next step. I have a couple of these and use them most often at this time of year, and in failing light.

At other times a good knockabout 8x32 can be hard to beat.

Are there any users of the Opticron 8.5x50 out there?

Regards, Steve

Last edited:
Hello All,

Actually I cannot really make up my mind on what the perfect binocular format is , they are all good.

It depends on my mood and what I am looking at and what I am doing , hunting , birding , star gazing or just generally looking at everything.

My 7 x 45 Carl Zeiss Night Owl is right up there with the best of them , I am really enjoying the absolutely superb performance of these 20 year old plus binoculars , but I love all the other formats that I have as well.

Decisions , Decisions o:D o:D

Cheers.

Hello All,

Actually I cannot really make up my mind on what the perfect binocular format is , they are all good.
In reality, there is no perfect binocular format, but many better formats for each event / circumstance.

So, only if you always look at the same event, could you find the perfect format.

In reality, there is no perfect binocular format, but many better formats for each event / circumstance.
So, only if you always look at the same event, could you find the perfect format.

Rico, just take a moment to consider 2 points in regard to this survey.

1. It is a Bird Forum, so bird watching is the event / circumstance.
2. The current results of the survey = the preferred format / favourite.

Please try to show some respect and humility towards other members and their thoughts even if you disagree. Perhaps your overuse of bold type could be put to one side, ie stop.
Troubadour has defended your tone, translation and passion for optics in another thread and I return your Merry Christmas to you.

P.

Last edited:
Hi P. I take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year.

I don't think I said anything wrong or offensive in my speech.
Bold is used to underline/highlight a word. I don't think it's a weapon to offend anyone. Why do you want to arrest me?

I understand that the survey only accepts one single unique preferred format. But that's exactly why I did that surgery. Because there is no one single unique event-circumstance, not even for birders.
I'm not a birder, but I know the difference between watching a Tern fishing at a distance of 60m or a Blackbird or Great Tit at a distance of 2m.

My only favorite format would be a "Triovid 10x+25x+62x56",
But it doesn't exist and therefore I can't vote (or I just did it).

Last edited:
Hi P. I take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year.

I don't think I said anything wrong or offensive in my speech.
Bold is used to underline/highlight a word. I don't think it's a weapon to offend anyone. Why do you want to arrest me?

I understand that the survey only accepts one single unique preferred format. But that's exactly why I did that surgery. Because there is no one single unique event-circumstance, not even for birders.
I'm not a birder, but I know the difference between watching a Tern fishing at a distance of 60m or a Blackbird or Great Tit at a distance of 2m.

My only favorite format would be a "Triovid 10x+25x+62x56",
But it doesn't exist and therefore I can't vote (or I just did it).

Rico
I have sent you personal message explaining why words in bold type should be avoided.

Now, I agree that there are different binos that suit different circumstances and I choose different binos in accordance with this.

But entering into the spirit of the question of the survey, I imagined that I was being taken somewhere new by a friend and I did not know what kind of habitat or landscape this place was. And then I asked myself, which bino format would I choose to visit this unknown place and the answer I gave myself was 'the bino that I feel most comfortable using in more circumstances than any other'. And then I voted.

Lee

why words in bold type should be avoided
Hmm, italics are definitely subtler. But have you noticed that they disappear when a message is quoted on BF, because the whole thing gets uniformly italicized instead of reverting existing italics to the regular font, as is customary?

Last edited:
But entering into the spirit of the question of the survey, I imagined that I was being taken somewhere new by a friend and I did not know what kind of habitat or landscape this place was. And then I asked myself, which bino format would I choose to visit this unknown place and the answer I gave myself was 'the bino that I feel most comfortable using in more circumstances than any other'. And then I voted.
Excellent example of correct procedure.
Thanks Lee

Excellent example of correct procedure.
Thanks Lee
There is no "excellent" procedure. Birders use what they have and for many that's ONE binocular. I've seen phenomenal birders packing $200 bins because that's all they could afford.

I suggest you read through BF posts for a year or more before expounding further. You might actually learn about the Birdforum audience.

The Whole Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Jeez, with exactly 300 votes (and thus at least 300 keen binocular spartans) even I can work this out - again ! (discrepancies, duplications, omissions, and issues raised so far not withstanding)

~ nearly 3/5ths are full sized (~42mm) -- 58%
~ 1/3 are mid sized (~32mm) -- 32%
~ 1 in 10 is still some sort of other weirdo ! :-O -- 10%
3 users have no friends (coz friends don't let friends use variable power binoculars)
9 users (3%) are toting 10x50's.
There's even a couple of 12's.

So slightly more of a shift to full size bins - this may be accounting for some systemic statistical anomaly effects on the first 100.

In the full sized bins (175 total) nearly 3/5th of those were ~8x, a sixth were 7x (so they've hung in there quite well - despite one well known forum member defecting to 8x :), and nearly a quarter were 10x

In the mid sized bins (97 total if we include the [13] 30mm bins too) five 6ths were 8x (down some), just over an eigth were 10x (up some), and there was a solitary 6x32, and two 7x32.

So far the most popular bin (25%) in any format is the 8x42 :king: ~ which is a change in the crown from the 8x32 previously.
Next most popular was the 8x32, followed by the 10x42 (the 8x32 just trailing by 8 units, and the 10x42 half the numbers of 8x42's). Honourable mention goes to the 7x42, and 8.5x42 users - each around 3/8ths to 1/3rd of the 8x42.

To summarize you could say that the 8/8.5x42 format is the most popular with a third of the total bins. Next comes the 8x30/32 with a bit over a quarter of the total bins. Together they make up a smidge over three /fifths of the total of 300 so far.

To save cyberspace, it was my bin that was still the lone 8x43 freak (though the objective actually measures out something like 41mm ! :) .. always knew I was a 1%er :cool: o:D It's a bit sad that I'm the only one enjoying perfect Zen ergonomics - but there you go ! |:p|

The breakdown of the majority (~9/10ths overall) of bin formats so far:-
Mag. . Objective Dia. (mm)
. . . . 30.32.40. .42. .43
7× . . . . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . 7x32 = 1%
7× . . . . . . . . . . . 28 . . . . . . 7x42 = 9% . . . total 7x = 10%
8× . . 13 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8x30 = 4%
8× . . . . . 67 . . . . . . . . . . . 8x32 = 22%
8× . . . . . . . . 2 . . . . . . . . . 8x40 = 1%
8× . . . . . . . . . . . 75 . . . . . .8x42 = 25%
8× . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 . . .8x43 = 1%
8.5x . . . . . . . . . . 25 . . . . . 8.5x42 = 8% . . . total~8x = 61%
10x. . . . . 13 . . . . . . . . . . . . 10x32 = 4%
10× . . . . . . . .3 . . . . . . . . . 10x40 = 1%
10× . . . . . . . . . . 38 . . . . . .10x42 = 13% . . total 10x = 19%

Obviously BF is no longer populated by a stack of little old ladies (still a lot of blokes built like cricket bats though ! :) , while the too busy to vote (but not too busy to spam/troll certain threads) real hairy-chested HunTers are carting their huge chunks of glass up and down mountainsides one handed with a deer carcass slung over one shoulder and kicking cougars, wolves, and grizzly bears out of the way with their army boots ! 3:) though quite a few more 42mm users - particularly 8x do seem to have come out of the closet ! :eek!:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back