• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome Swallow (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I'd been wondering about this, and now someone has asked me LOL

Can anyone tell me what the origin of the name "Welcome" was please?

I know I've mentioned how much I love the name anytime I see one posted and I also wondered where it came from.

In his OD Gould (1843) states "...neoxena has suggested itself as appropriate from the circumstance of its appearance throughout the whole of the southern portions of Australia being hailed as a welcome indication of the approach of spring and its arrival associated with precisely the same ideas as those popularly entertained respecting our own pretty swallow in Europe."

Thanks so much all. I did sort of wonder if it was something like that.

Ah! Thanks Ken. I'd not thought of that. That sounds quite logical too.

It was the first landbird we saw upon arriving at Sydney after being on a cargo ship for 13 days from Singapore. It felt like it was welcoming us to Aus.

In his OD Gould (1843) states "...neoxena has suggested itself as appropriate from the circumstance of its appearance throughout the whole of the southern portions of Australia being hailed as a welcome indication of the approach of spring and its arrival associated with precisely the same ideas as those popularly entertained respecting our own pretty swallow in Europe."

To find here but it is Gould, 1842.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back