• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pantanal, MG, Brazil - Hummingbird ID (1 Viewer)

Helmut Schumann

We found this hummingbird last month near Pousada Piuval.
The bird perched only for a very short time in a high tree. It was late afternoon and light was poor.
The very long bill was noticeable to us immediately. Throat (underpart?) and tips of the forked tail were white.
My first idea any Starthroat. But I think, females should have no white throat.

Attachments

• DSCN3320 Kopie.jpg
    DSCN3320 Kopie.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 90
I think it is a female Blue-tufted Starthroat (Heliomaster furcifer). One sees that small white triangle behind the eye, the white-tipped forked tail, the long bill, the bit of white on the flanks between the folded wing and the dorsum. I don't know the extent of variations but it seems that female H. furcifer has the least amount of speckling on the throat of the 3 Starthroats that occur in Brazil. At Piuval you would be well in the range of H. furcifer.

Dalcio

PS: Since the part of the Pantanal where you took this photo is in Mato Grosso state, the state abbreviation is MT. In Brazil MG stands for the great state of Minas Gerais in Eastern Brazil.

Last edited:
We only have male BT Starthroat in the gallery. If/when you feel confident that this is the species, please upload this image!

cheers
Niels

Yes, that's a Blue-tufted Starthroat. Another thing worth noting is the lack of a white streak on the lower central back (something shown by the other starthroats).

Thanks to all.
Hummingbird were rare in the Pantanal. So I am pleased about this identification.
(to Dalcio: MG was a stupid error in writing, I was in Minas Gerais in September 2007 with nice birding in Serra da Canastra, Serra do Cipo, Caraca ...
Brazil is a beautiful country).

Cheers

Helmut

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back