• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear (1 Viewer)

colonelboris

Right way up again
Here's the latest effort...
40117we1.jpg

From this photo
Concrete is hard to paint, but with a little imagination and a squinty eye, you could almost imagine it was on the Spanish plains instead of a windswept beach in West Sussex...
Cheers

Tony

Thanks very much - a short break for arrow-making and then I'll be knocking out a few more, and hopefully flogging them!
The idea was 'small paintings take less time' as some of the larger canvas jobs have taken up to nine days of painting, but this one took ages because of the concrete. Any suggestions on what to do next? My photos are on my website here - some of them are very sketchy shots, so aren't so good to paint.
Cheers,

Tony

colonelboris said:
The idea was 'small paintings take less time' as some of the larger canvas jobs have taken up to nine days of painting, but this one took ages because of the concrete.

Nine days would be amazingly fast for me. My latest watercolour has been sitting on the easel nearly seven months now (and still has a few weeks of procrastination to go before it's finished). I've already made a pledge to myself to do nothing larger than 9x12's for the next six months once this one's done (I seem to have somehow convinced myself that this'll actually improve my productiveness). Maybe now that it's too dark after work to head out into the field I'll actually stay home and get some painting done.

How about the Great Crested Grebe?
Do you stick with your own photos and sightings of the birds for you artistic inspiration?
Have you ever done a free form, with the photo only being a reference point, from simple knowledge through observation?
Am I asking too many questions?
All these and more will be answered in the next episode...

Love your work

Quite a nicely detailed painting but for me the overall effect is spoilt by a somewhat untidy looking background. You have some excellent detail in the concrete but I think some warmer tones would help make it more inkeeping with the overall feel of the painting. The limited palete of blue and white makes it just a little too stark. A lovely composition. The wildfowl on your gallery are lovely.

Thanks everyone.

Birdpotter - normally I only paint from photos I've taken, but I have done onne or two sketches for a rarity report where I don't have a photo, so had to work from someone else's. Not done any free-form, really.

Psilo - Points taken on the background and cold impression, but I forgot to mention that the scan isn't quite the same in colouration: It's really picked up on the whites and made them much more promninent, so the background is a bit warmer and also not nearly as contrasting as it looks here, but as you say it is a bit messy, maybe a wash would have been better and less distracting.

Thanks for looking - it'll be interesting to see if it shifts on fleabay. I hate that place...

Well, I'll have a pop at one of the ducks - not sure about teal as there's a lot of spots and vermiculation and I'm essentially a very lazy man...

Ah well, didn't go. Mind you, very little is going at the moment. Most of the bird paintings on there are going unsold or for very low money.
£25 to anyone who wants it - comes with a nice cream mount.
6x4" painting in a 8x6" mount, signed with details of the original photo on the back.
Cheers,

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back